displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Race battery and relocation
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi can anyone recommend a race style battery for use inside the car ? Looking into getting one of those flat ones that come in a cage
Also to relocate to the boot area is it just a case of running a earth and live back to the original posistion and connecting it back up ?
Sorry one last question do I fit a battery cut off to the negative ?

Many thanks Chris

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 13:33
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'm using a Powervamp in my track car, think its the 25 model. It's a little underspecced for what should be used but it does start the car and has done for the last 5+ years.
Mine sits in its cage under the boot floor where the spare wheel would usually be. For the earth i just welded on a post to the chassis with a tapped end and had a short run of cable from the earth on the battery to that post. The live runs under the car to a cut off in the dashboard then on to a distribution block in the engine which feeds the starter, alternator, fuse boxes etc. If you're getting a cut off switch you're as well to pay a little more and get the one that will turn the car off when switched off (i can't think of the proper name of it off hand but mine has four extra connectors so it cuts ignition and earths out the live via a resistor).

Goldie the track car.
Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 14:52
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Thanks for the help I did see a post where you said you used a power vamp 25 good to see it’s lasted, so your isolating the live ? Only ask has I watched a you tube video where they isolated the earth which I though was weird

Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 14:55
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yeah i'm isolating the live, pretty sure that's how most people do it but i'm happy to stand corrected.

Sometimes i take the battery off and bring it into the house if it's going to be a cold frosty winter but i've been impressed by how well it has lasted and i'll buy another when this one eventually dies. Decent weight saving too.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 15:09
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I run a cheapo powervamp from eBay for around £50 and came with a cage and has done 4 years ok although I run very little electrically.

Mines in passenger side but just a short earth to chassis and + to kill switch
Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 15:23
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Cheers powervamp it is, I’ve very little electrics left in the car now

Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 16:54
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Just a heads up next weeks series of questions will be about roll cage and seat mounting based

Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 16:59
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Still cracking on then be out on track soon mate
Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 19:38
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Yes mate just gonna concentrate on getting it out there, then worry about modifying it further

Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 20:08
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Tbh that’s the way forward the more I try and improve mine the more it fights back lol, suspension,cage and brakes and it’ll be as much fun
Posted 7th Oct 2018 at 20:27