displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Alternator issues
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Got a bit of a strange one here, upon driving the other day I noticed my alternator was playing up as my dials were dancing about and the lights were pretty dim. Managed to get home though.

The next day I tried starting and obviously it wouldn't turn over so I jump started it and got the multimeter out. With the engine off I could see 12v at the terminals. With the ignition on I saw 12v at the small wire for the alternator. With the engine running I'm seeing 14v across the terminals.

I decided to buy a proper volt meter gauge and wire that in, same results however when I go above 2000 rpm the alternator seems to stop charging.
Any ideas on what to look for next? Kind of tired having to accelerate to speed then coast as far as possible Laugh

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Oct 2018 at 15:25
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
Sounds like either the aux belt is slipping on the alternator pulley or the voltage regulator on the alternator is shot

Rich
Posted 6th Oct 2018 at 17:15
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Thanks Rich, i can't see it being the belt slipping as its an 8 rib one and the supercharger is still supplying full boost when i want it to, i'd have thought that would slip too if the alternator was.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 6th Oct 2018 at 20:50
miki4

Regular

Post #4
It could be that it's slipping only on the alternator (smaller pulley, only 6 ribs if original etc). But as Rich said, it could also be the regulator or even the alternator itself (electrical breakdown through damaged insulation at higher RPM/voltages, partly damaged diodes which fail on higher reverse voltages etc.) Although it's rather unlikely, several times I've learned that nothing is impossible.

Turn off all unneccessary electrical loads in the car, A/C also off (if you have one) and try to slowly accelerate the engine to a higher RPM, then check if the voltage at the battery still goes down to 12-13 V (not charging). If so, it's unlikely it has something to do with a slipping aux belt.
Posted 8th Oct 2018 at 19:56
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
It seems to have got worse the last couple of days, now not charging above 1,750rpm.
The electrics on the car are pretty minimal with it being a track car, even with everything turned off the voltage drops when i slowly take it above 1,750rpm so i suspect its the alternator itself.

I've bought a second hand one so when that arrives tomorrow i'll hopefully get it fitted and see if that resolves the issue.

EDIT: Cheers for the input by the way guys Thumbs up

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Oct 2018 at 21:04