displaying posts 26 to 50 of 59

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: 2 owner, 57k Ph2 Xsara VTS
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
If they have the Lucas 57mm calipers I'm pretty sure there's only 1 type of disc. 30k 3 years is what I do.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 21:28
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #27
Need to check Ryan but I think is got Bosch brakes. Certainly the breaker did have.

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 21:50
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #28
All of the big bits with the exception of the engine (and I've a buyer committed to that at the end of the month) sold, and a lot of the small bits also sold or boxed up for spares for mine, it was pretty much stripped. The last job was to pull the dash, the heater matrix and blower motor and then the carpet and sound deadening, leaving a bare shell.

A stripped shell....

I thought about rolling it onto its side but then figured this gave me just as much access. Engine cranes are great!

Rather than try and cut individual sections, it was just as easy to cut a massive square. Didn't take long, maybe an hour or two with Tea stops....

This morning, before the scrappers arrived, I took the last few bits off the Xsara. Couple of bits I'd missed from the towbar and then the spoiler and rear wiper motor (which strangely on the Xsara is rivetted in, not bolted) and then that was that. Done. The lorry turned up about lunchtime, the guy driving had a chuckle at how little was left, chucked a chain through it and promptly hiab-ed it onto the back of his wagon and was gone!

Over a brew, I got busy with some more interior bits. Finished cutting out the gearshift gaiter material sections (yes, it's not lost on me either...a gaiter that mounts onto a 4 sided piece of plastic, made from three bits of material..... typically french!). I'm going to have it sewn with the Citroen Racing colours of red and white.

Then, inspired by jim and his Clio and the work he's done, I decided I wanted to use a few of the spare trim bits from the breaker and wrap them in a 4d carbon fibre type film...

First was one of the sill trims. Quite a complex shape, especially around the Citroen lettering and it's not perfect but, as another friend said, no-one is looking at it with magnifying glass...

Spurred on by that, I threw caution to the wind and decided to wrap the entire dash console. In for a penny etc......it was a bloody awkward shape and probably took me three hours to finish. Lots of heating and stretching and shaping and trimming...

Due to its shape, it's going to need an extra strip adding to finish the recessed section for the instrument binnacle but given the angles etc, the join should be fairly invisible.

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

Tomorrow, it's about the brakes. The new front discs are on order, as is a fitting kit for the rear pads from the local Euros branch. New brakes format and rear, refit the seat and front bumper and then figure out how I'm getting it to CG cars ......

Posted 19th Mar 2019 at 20:59
Joep

Regular

Post #29
That looks realy nice!

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 20th Mar 2019 at 07:34
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #30
Well, it might not go, but should it do so, it should stop now.

Picked up the discs and rear pad fitting kit this morning, had a brew and broke out the spanners.

The fronts were ugly. The pics say it all really but once I had the disc off, the inside edge was even worse. Definitely the right time for new....

The inside face of the front disc. Lucky if there's been 50% contact.

New gear fitted all round, front and rear but not before I periodically had to drain the reservoir of fluid. Usual thing....don't bother replacing the pads, just top the fluid up.....Roll eyes:

Anyway, the new stuff went on with no issues (right size discs this time) other than having to drill out a couple of disc retaining screws and looks much better. Oddly, my car doesn't have the wiring for the brake pad wear sensor, yet the one I broke, which was built two months before my silver one, did.....odd. Pair of scissors made light work of the sensor wiring.

I then trial fitted one of the carbon bits I'd done.

I think it looks alright actually!

Posted 21st Mar 2019 at 11:54
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #31
Carl came and picked the Xsara up and took it in and fixed it's poorly cambelt and MOTd it. So, picked the car up this morning. Managed to sort the doorcard, it had somehow pulled the doorseal forward and got caught behind it. Freed that off, got in, and headed into Leicester to go to the Citroen dealership to buy more clips for the doorcard.

I had a very new silver BMW pull up behind me and start following me. Id clocked straight away it was an unmarked police car but with everything being above board, no issue. Or at least I thought.

I rolled through some lights, they got stuck at them but caught me at the next set. As we went through those, the road straightened out and widened, at which point the blue lights come on and the officer driving points for me to pull in.

At this point, the only thing I can think they wouldn't be happy with was that just as I went through the first set of lights, they changed to yellow.......but no.

'Hello Sir, your vehicle doesn't have an MOT'

Phew. Massive sigh of relief. To which I then explained I had literally just picked it up from it having had its MOT, which it had passed and got the certificate from the passenger seat.

To be fair to them, they were both brilliant (and the blonde lady officer was pretty hot, in a MILF kinda way :argieSmile He was apologetic, showed me his PDA thing that said I had no MOT and then explained that it's probably just a timing/update thing and having seen my test certificate, they were more than happy. He did say he was wondering what was going on because the car was really clean and on a nice set of wheels... 'Not our normal no MOT stop' were his words.

They apologised again for the inconvenience (just doing their job, I didn't mind) and off I went to the dealership which was just half a mile away.

There were three different clips I needed for the doorcard. Two of them, I needed 8 of each, the other one 6.

I had to buy two bags of 20, and one bag of 15. Don't you just love dealers? £37 later and they will be here tomorrow. At least being a common issue with the Xsaras, I should be able to move the ones I'm not using on.

Then it was onto Eurocarparts to pick up some oil to service it with (other oil I bought ended up going into the wife's mini after that had a major leak after being services).

Then home. Drove well, water temps stayed low which is good. Gave it plenty of stick, goes well but I reckon it could do with a tank of fresh super unleaded. Car goes back to Carl Saturday morning to have the Milltek exhaust fitted. The only issue is I turned the fan on and it immediately went to full speed and now won't turn off...this isn't unusual apparently, I just need to do some digging to find the cause.

Posted 26th Mar 2019 at 12:13
Nose

Senior User

Post #32

Cracking job there Ben, that looks really good bud - nice colour carbon as well Cool

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 26th Mar 2019 at 12:36
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #33
Thanks Paul.

Had a couple of hours spare this afternoon so (metaphorically speaking) picked a scab and now wishing I'd let that particular sleeping dog lie. However, I didnt, so if you're sitting comfortably, I'll begin!

Never been happy with how dirty it's been around the rear spoiler. More to do with access really than anything else but having broken the Ph1 last year where the spoiler had been bonded on, I thought they were all like this and left mine alone. Until I broke the Ph2 very recently and it was a case of 6 torx screws and it was off. So this afternoon, off came mine.

Predictably, it wasn't particularly clean under there....

What I wasn't expecting was this. I'd say from those marks, someone has had a go at that with a screwdriver. I can't think.of anything else that would have left those marks? They seem too specific to be accident or caused by rubbing, which leads me nicely into the next two pics...

Its clearly been rubbing in places and I guess I have some work to do here in terms of dealing with the rust and getting it protected again.

The one single benefit I can thinking is that I won't need to be bang on with a paint match as pretty much all of it sits under the spiller and won't be seen. Still annoyed it's gotten to this point though. I think I'll apply something like a paint protection film before refitting the spoiler to stop it happening again .

Onto matters more mundane. It seems very likely the resistor pack in the fan motor has given up which seems to cause several different types of failure (only works on one speed, won't turn off etc). Whilst is it possible just to replace the resistors, it's fiddly, requires drilling of rivets and soldering. Or, £10 from eBay for a whole new pack.

I kept the fan blower motor from the breaker, just incase. That only seemed to function on one speed so likely suffering the same issue. However, it is a part I can work with without having to strip the car and use it to test the fix.

Disconnected from the dash loom and with three screws undone, it's almost like a cartridge that drops out. The bit we need to get to is the light grey metal bit almost in the point of the triangle. The actual resistors are the two round things just visible under the fan.

Turn it over and this small sub loom needs unplugging.

Done

Next is to release the motor and fan assembly. Its held in with one Phillips screw. Remove that, the motor and fan should pull out (might need a little wigging at first)

The resistor pack is now accessible.

There are two 8mm bolts holding it it place. Remove those and the pack comes out very easily.

This old pack doesnt look very clever at all.

New one is ordered and should be here on Thursday. There is a single 4 point plug that plugs into the fan. I will disconnect this and then try it in the new fan before taking the old one out, just to confirm that was the issue and it's fixed. I

Posted 27th Mar 2019 at 20:58
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #34
I should have learned by now with these old French cars......

Had a call from the dealers this morning. The parts have arrived. Well, some of the parts have arrived.

One of the three clip codes has been discontinued and they have not been sent. Clearly Servicebox isn't quite up to date with this info as it doesn't say NFP or NLA. I've managed to find a site in Poland selling the clips I need so I've ordered some from there. Will see what happens in that front but it's going to be a week before they arrive.

At least Carl won't have to climb out of the window after MOTing it again LOL LOL

Posted 27th Mar 2019 at 21:00
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #35
Took her out for a blast tonight. Forgot just how quickly the car starts to pile on the speed once you get above, and keeping it above, 4k rpm. Its quick.

Had to stop off at the supermarket. I'll admit, the Golf has made me lazy, with its auto box and parking sensors! But she holds her own in a car park...

Posted 27th Mar 2019 at 21:27
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #36
I had the new VTS badges arrive today.

I never understood the choice of yellow for the 'S' part of the badge. To me it implies that's it's not quite a hot hatch....which I could understand for the VTR but not the VTS. Good job someone makes the badge I think this car should always have had.

As they arrived this morning, fresh from Rikky....

Side by side with an old badge.....

The clips on the badges are very fragile indeed so to get them off, I took the whole trim panel off, giving me access to the badge clips from back. Took the opportunity to clean under where the trim had been and gave it a coat of Orchard Autocare's Speed Seal

Badges back on...

I think the red looks so much better, especially against the silver of the body.

Posted 1st Apr 2019 at 15:36
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #37
I have a fan that works as it should again!

The resistor pack arrived Feiday. I fitted that to the fan unit id taken out of the breaker car as I figured it was easier to test if it was this pack by simply unplugging the wiring from the existing fan motor and plugging into the other one...

So ready to rock, I set about removing the one from the car.

Few trim screw clip things to remove to drop this piece of carpet.

Small issue when rebuilding the fan motor. I couldn't get one of the connections in the sub loom in. Looks like the tab was slightly bent.

Easy fixed.

Carpet section out of the way and faced with this....3 7mm bolts hold the fan in. You can see one to the right of the fan motor in this pic.

The other two were more difficult to access as you are pretty much doing it blind and by feel. Eventually all three bolts out and with some contortionist skills, fan motor out.

Plugged the new one in, started up the car (fan only works when the engine is running) and it worked as it should. Same messing about to get it back in and then refitting the mounting bolts but all in all, including a brew, it took perhaps 30 mins.

Only jobs left to do now are the service (hopefully tomorrow) and the door card clips one they arrived from Poland (had confirmation they have been despatched)

Posted 1st Apr 2019 at 15:38
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #38
Its rapidly approaching being done (well, as much as a French hot hatch can be 'done', it won't be long before there's something else to fix!)

First job today was have the exhaust fitted. Duly done locally but there is something still not right. Part of it is still vibrating against the body under moderate to heavy acceleration. They didn't replace the cat with the one that came off the breaker as they didn't see the point, although it still has this odd raspy whistle which sounds pretty naff. I cant be sure where the vibration is coming from, certainly feels from more towards the front of the car. Given nothing really changed between the two exhausts, it's either the Cat or an engine mount allowing too much movement under acceleration. Further investigation required. Still, it sounds nice. A relatively deep tone, not much different to std on idle but far more prominent through the rev range. Fit is much better in relation to positioning in the cut out in the bumper.....

As I walked home from dropping the car off, I called in at the Post Office depot to pick up the last of the door card clips from Poland. Been really impressed with these guys. Delivery was very quick, prices very good, and the parts turned out to be genuine. One for bookmarking. [url]https://salko.pl[/url] is them!

This afternoon, my chum with the light blue VTS came round. He'd been round at the weekend as his passenger door wouldn't open. Given he's got a passenger for the driving weekend, we needed to get it sorted. It wouldn't open at all, either from the inside or outside, or via the lock. Some faffing later, and by hot-wiring the deadlock (needles into the respective wires and touching jump leads from a battery to these needles, we got it to pop), we managed to get the door open. Consensus was the lock mechanism had failed so we strapped his door shut and we got a guy we know who is breaking a Ph2 Xsara (it had to happen a week after I'd scrapped my breaker and didn't keep the lock mechanisms...) to send one on a next day basis. It arrived , he came over and I refitted the lock mechanism, the door lock barrel, connected it all up and voila. It all worked perfectly.

With that done, I moved onto my door card. Its been a proper pain since I bought the car really, catching on the door seal and flapping about.

First thing I found was that two clips at the bottom of the door card were:

A) Wrong, and
Cool Broken

Not a bad start. Wrong and broken clips removed, right ones fitted.

Then I replaced the three clips with new ones.

Then I fitted these bits to the door frame, only to discover you need to fit them to the clips on the door card and then fit it to the door. Removed and fitted properly and finally, I've a properly fitted door card!

Once all of that was done, it was time for a wash and a wipe down with Perfection QD from Orchard Autocare.

And with that, she is ready to play this weekend. Really looking forward to that. I've had a tough few weeks personally and this weekend is going to be a bit of an escape for me, mentally, if nothing else.

The only other things left on my list now are suspension and dents. Suspension is easy enough. Front shocks I want to get serviced which are about £80 a side. However, I found a guy on eBay selling just the left side shock for £70 or best offer. After a bit of haggling, we settled on £50 delivered. Cheaper than the service, meaning I only need to get the one serviced.

Dents I'll get looked at by the local dents people when time and funds allow.

Posted 3rd Apr 2019 at 22:13
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #39
Had a great weekend up in North Yorkshire. Car ran great. Hit 45mpg on the run up and then still hit very late 30's, even when thrashing it around the Yorkshire Moors and Lake District....

Friday:

We headed out at approx 09:45, with Whitby being our destination for lunch. The route we took made it about 100 miles and it encompassed a lot of the North Yorkshire Moors and some incredible, mostly empty (other than all the sheep!) roads. Made it to Whitby, had lunch, turned round, and came home, albeit a different route, arriving back at approx 18:30, having covered over 200 miles. The Xsara performed almost faultlessly. It put the management light on late morning, with a message about an anti pollution fault again but drove as normal (Id bought tools with me, including a code reader, which I stupidly left in the hotel room!). Mid afternoon, after a stop, the light and fault had gone and there were no stored codes in the ECU so not sure what it was getting it's knickers in a twist about! To the little Xsara's credit, over those 200+ miles, considering it got driven pretty hard for some of them, it returned 35.7mpg for the day. Handling wise, she does seem to handle a little better on the lighter rims and slightly smaller Pilot Sport 3's. The rear end feels a little squirrly at times. I'm not sure if this is down to tyre pressures, worn beam mounts or what. I have decided that at some point this year, all the bushes etc will be replaced, including front arms, p bushes, ball joints, track rod ends, rear beam mounts. I will probably do this in conjunction with fitting the Koni suspension all round so should make quite a difference.

Today, we head northwest to Ullswater, with a plan to drive around the lake, stop for lunch, then head back via the Buttertubs Pass, which is a road I've always wanted to drive. Again, the weather is fantastic, as are some of the roads planned. I expect it to be busy round the lakes so that will probably be a good time just to cruise and enjoy the view....

Posted 7th Apr 2019 at 19:11
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #40
Saturday:

Today, I fulfilled one of my fantasies (no, not the one with Carol Vorderman and Rachel Riley and the Maths book where all the sums answers are 69......LOLSmile. I drove the Buttertubs Pass and, in pretty much every aspect, it was simply superb.

Just like yesterday, the day started cool but bright and sunny. Breakfast at 8am, with the off planned for about 10am. As said, it was clear blue skies, sunny but not overly warm. Roads were dry and frost free. Ideal driving conditions.

As I may have mentioned, our plans for today we're to head west to the Lake District, to Ullswater via the Buttertubs Pass, onto Penrith, pick up the north end of Ullswater and then drive south along the western edge of the lake, which is exactly what we did. Today there were 7 of us. Yesterday's attendees, along with a well modded Mini Cooper S and a Renault Traffic Van (yeah, ask no more!).

The entire drive was nothing short of utterly euphoric. We'd decided today would be at a far more leisurely pace, taking in the scenery and there was plenty to take in. 15 miles of travel west down what would normally be classed as B roads, along the Valley floor before we hit the sections where the climb began. The sounds of numerous exhausts, reverberating off the dry stone walls, the smell of unburnt fuel from the occasional burst of throttle from the car in front, the sheep dogding. All sensually stimulating stuff!

In places, it was quite the climb, with signs warning of gradients of up to 25% and it was steep. A lot of the really steep stuff was 2nd gear stuff with the occasional down change to first if stuck behind a slow tourist, but what a climb it was. We got pretty much to the highest point and took a break. Some experienced people with us told us we were very lucky with the weather, being able to see the horizon because normally it's shrouded in most/fog/weather. We took full advantage of that fact with the photos.

The pass route is just amazing. A lot of climbing, followed by a lot of descending, with bends, camber changes, cyclists, motorcycles and other cars to contend with. It sharpens the senses that's for sure.

We then hit the A66 towards Penrith and the dropped onto the north end of Ullswater. If the Lake District as a whole is as lovely as this, then it's a fine place to visit. We drove down the west side of the lake, stopping at the bottom for lunch. After lunch, we continued heading south to Windermere (very, very busy), before heading back up through the hills to pick up the M6 to head north back to Penrith, to pick up the Buttertubs pass back to Leyburn.

The Xsara behaved impeccably and didn't miss a beat. Today was more about taking it steady, enjoying the view and the ride and less about speed. That's not to say we didn't stretch legs occasionally but overall we did 160+ miles and the Xsara averaged 40.3 mpg.

A few pics....

Posted 7th Apr 2019 at 19:12
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #41
Stripped the Koni suspension that came off the breaker. Came apart easily enough.

Now cleaning up a pair of hubs which I'll have powder coated which will go on when the suspension goes on.

Posted 12th May 2019 at 09:31
Joep

Regular

Post #42
Looking good!

How do you clean the hubs? Do you use a special brush?

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 12th May 2019 at 11:02
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #43
Joep wrote:
Looking good!

How do you clean the hubs? Do you use a special brush?

No, just an angle grinder with a wire cup brush and then a drill with a couple of smaller brushes. Gets into most of the corners. There are a couple I can't get to so they are both getting a Deox-C bath so they are completely clean before powdercoating.

Posted 12th May 2019 at 11:19
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Looking great Ben ..really well done chap Thumbs up
Posted 13th May 2019 at 07:22
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #45
Day666 wrote:
Looking great Ben ..really well done chap Thumbs up

Thanks Damien!

Posted 13th May 2019 at 12:27
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #46
I do love detailing....

Posted 18th May 2019 at 20:30
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #47
Hubs after a bath in the Deox-C and rinsed with the pressure washer...

Brackets that hold the brake pipes/abs sensor wiring etc

During yesterday..

Today once rinsed....gone back in again to get rid of the rest.

Posted 20th May 2019 at 08:26
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #48
Hubs, carrier's and hub brackets all clean and ready formulating/powder coating.

I need to be the hubs split from the hub carrier's, need a pretty big press to press them out. I can finish cleaning the bits of the hubs I can't get to at the min.

Hubs will be powder coated, carrier's and associated brackets/nuts/bolts zinc plated, with a yellow passivate finish.

Posted 7th Jun 2019 at 20:16
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #49
Decided tonight I'd make the most of the break in the weather and get outside and get some fresh air (work from home on a Friday, been cooped up inside all day because of the rain) and decided to swap the back plates over on the Xsara with the ones I'd cleaned up from the Rallye.

Not a massive job, just a bit awkward as you have to unclip the ABS sensors from the loom as they thread through a hole in the back plate. Bit of a pain to get to as they are tucked up behind the beam so have to jack up and crawl right under to unplug them.

Anyway, that done, I knocked the torx bit into the screws and used the impact gun gently and the nuts came out fine. Well, for the first one they did, until the torx bit gave up. Halfords Advanced too so will get it replaced, just annoying mid job. Anyway, they done make much difference but I know they are there and cleaner and better protected than what was there...

Said chocolate Torx bit....

Posted 7th Jun 2019 at 20:17
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
You know that you aren't supposed to use normal sockets with an impact gun? It's not a chocolate socket, although they're not the strongest, it's not designed for what you used it for. Get some impact torx if you plan to do this frequently..

This detracts from your rallye tbh! Smile

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 8th Jun 2019 at 02:45

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3