displaying posts 1 to 25 of 59

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: 2 owner, 57k Ph2 Xsara VTS
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #1
Short version of a long story.

Beach buggy was an expensive garage ornament. Didn't get used, taking up space, so, got sold.

Paid off a few bits, bought a Ph1 Xsara to break, decided I needed a run around. Fancied a white Rallye but they got expensive quickly. Wondered about a VTS, given its a GTi6 underneath......within 2 weeks, a low mileage, low owner one pops up on Gumtree.

Ph2, 57k from new, pretty much two older local owners. Absolutely std and as clean as they get.

Every single old MOT, pretty much every bit of paperwork. As clean underneath as on top. Too good to break, despite it being worth significantly more in parts than I paid

Too much for me to update here but see here

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 15th Sep 2018 at 08:30
Nose

Senior User

Post #2
How clean is that Ben! Can't believe how these little jems still pop up from time to time, really good find mate Cool

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 15th Sep 2018 at 09:33
jmartos94

Post #3
Absolutely stunning Thumbs up
Posted 16th Sep 2018 at 22:19
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #4
Anyone know of anyone breaking a Ph2 Xsara VTS anywhere?

Whilst swapping out the old yellowed headlights, I noticed the old rad was leaking. However, I've been entirely unable to source a new one. There are only a couple of pattern rads which relate to the OEM Citroen part number (and this is key, due to the way the fan shroud fits in that screws go through the slam panel into moulded mounts on the actual radiator). A Ph1 rad doesn't fit, as it's the same as the 306. It has to be from a Ph2 VTS, the part number of 1330 94 wasn't fitted to any other model.

So the rad hunt continues. In the mean time, I set about finding a set of C5 rims. I'm not a massive fan of the Ph2 Xsara rims at all, and I think the C5 rims look pretty good. Asking in the Facebook page, I got sent a link for a set in Ireland for £5.........a mate of mine lived quite near but had a meeting very close to the seller that week. A deal was done and they were delivered to my door for a grand total of £30. £5 to buy, £25 to ship. Pretty pleased with that.

Just need to maintain them and sort out some 195/50/15 tyres for them.

Posted 20th Jan 2019 at 10:56
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Fantastic find Ben Thumbs up
Posted 20th Jan 2019 at 18:14
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #6
quote:
[quote="Day666"]Fantastic find Ben Thumbs up

Cheers fella.....

Posted 20th Jan 2019 at 21:51
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #7
Bargain C5 rims painted and lacquered. Not bad for a rattle can finish....

Got a set of 195/50/15 Pilot Sport 3's to chuck onto those.

Radiator issues continue, still not been able to find a replacement so modification of a Nissens one will get underway shortly. Cut this unused bit off

And it fits the car. Ordered some delrin rods which I will cut to size, profile and then glue to the rad. Should make it as good as the original.

Posted 17th Feb 2019 at 10:42
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #8
Rims on........cheers Carl

Radiator remains an issue but I think I've found one, finally

Posted 23rd Feb 2019 at 23:15
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #9
So, since I broke the Ph1, I've had a spare passenger seat in the garage. It's the same cloth pattern as my seats (they clearly had cloth left over from the Ph1) and the spare passenger seat has always been in better condition than the one in the car as the one in the car as slightly loose covers etc. I decided I would swap them over.

Treated my self to a set of 3/8" Torx bits from Halfords and took the seat out.

Putting them side by side, they look broadly the same. However, the differences quickly became obvious.

On closer inspection, there are several physical differences in the seat design. The handle to tilt the seat forward is in a different position, which I think is to do with the side airbag design of the Ph2 seat, even though the Ph1 seat had a side airbag. You can see the differences in this picture.

In this picture, you can see the Ph2 seat gained a lumber support adjustment which the Ph1 didn't have....

Clearly there are too many differences between the seats for me to be happy with swapping them over, so decision made to put the Ph2 seat back in, although not before I took the opportunity to have a good hoover.

One thing that has occured to me is that the spare seat is a very useful candidate for providing material for the driver's seat. The driver's seat is very good for one of these car (the upright section has been replaced once before by a previous owner, as the old bits were in the boot when I bought it) but they are wearing again as you can see from the pictures. The spare seat will provide the material I need to sort that so once I've some time and some money, I'll get the seat off to the trimmers and get them to sort it.

Posted 24th Feb 2019 at 22:21
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #10
Seat welded!

Mate came round, took him all of about 1 minute to do the 3 actual plug welds....as good as new now.

There was one moment of worry.....we disconnected the battery for the welding and once done, I connected everything back up and turned the ignition on.

Not. A. Sausage.

At this point I've got horrible thoughts of we've fried the fragile multiplex wiring with the welding etc. Except we hadn't.....the battery was flat. Jump leads from the wife's mini and it was all good. Phew.

Tomorrow is all about go and collect the donor parts car. Collecting at about 10am, should be home and unloaded for 11:30 ish. Then it's out to Halfords for some brake cleaner so I can get in and fit the rear brakes, (can't do the fronts, the pads still haven't arrived) then it will be time to swap the rad and hopefully get her running again....

Then it's all about how quickly I can strip the donor!

Posted 1st Mar 2019 at 19:40
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Getting there Ben Thumbs up
Looking good ..

Keep the pics and posts coming m8 Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Mar 2019 at 09:47
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Xsaras such a underrated car. I had a phase 1 for £450 a few years back and was a brilliant bit of kit no where near as tidy as yours though
Posted 2nd Mar 2019 at 17:40
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #13
Thanks fellas.

She is a pretty good, low mileage example...just the radiator to sort now!

Posted 2nd Mar 2019 at 22:35
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #14
Yesterday was a day of mixed fortunes.....

We picked the Xsara up Saturday morning as planned. Slightly later as my mate was a bit late getting the trailer to me but we got to the seller at about 11:30. True to his word, he had the Xsara ready to go and drive able so we drove it out of the little Industrial estate to where we had parked the car (just wasn't room to drive in with a trailer on). Had the car driven onto the trailer, strapped down and ready to go within half an hour.

Drove home and off loaded. Right, let's see what we've got.

Generally, it's not to bad a car. Its been sat since 2012 as far as I can see, having done just 6 more miles than the mileage recorded at the 2012 MOT failure. Body is tatty, mainly peeling lacquer which was very common indeed on this colour. Starts, runs, drives etc so mechanically, it's not.bad.

Nice hole here in the sill and looking bubbly around it!

Got it jacked up for a look underneath. Very surprised to see it appears to have uprated shock all round. Need to figure out what they are....

Exhaust is a full stainless, cat back system. Cat also, I think, appears factory but I need to have it off the car for a better look.

One of my VTS owning chums turned up for the party. 3 Ph2 Xsara VTS in one place!

The bad news is the radiator is in worse condition than the one which has come off mine Roll eyes: Shame but I still have one more roll of those particular dice.

Posted 3rd Mar 2019 at 06:29
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #15
Didn't do any breaking today. The weather has been pretty rubbish all day, raining and the wind steadily increasing. Instead, I tidied out the garage and made a start polishing up this exhaust. It turns out the exhaust is a Milltek. This Xsara has clearly had some money spent on it, with the exhaust and then the suspension. I'd love to know some of its history.

Apologies for the poor pics.....the lighting where I was working was about as far from perfect as you could get. I didn't take many pics but hope.you get the idea. Back box before..

Back box after being attacked with wire wool and then Autoglym Metal polish via a buffing bonnet on the Flex.

Much cleaner. Still some work to do on the inside of the tip but, generally, much better.

A really crappy pic but the centre section cleaned up ok too. Oddly, the long section of pipe on this middle section isn't polished....

Posted 3rd Mar 2019 at 21:39
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #16
Finally found a radiator for the Xsara. Came from Peugeot Parts in Leeds from one they broke a few years back. A but dusty from being sat on the shelf but all good.

So with the radiator finally here, it was time to get on with it.

First job was pull the silver car forward to the back of the breaker to give me room to jack it up and get the wheel off. This was because job 1 was to swap the bottom hose out back to the original. All done in just a couple of minutes.

I then decided that as I had everything off and available, I'd do the front brakes too. Everything came off easily, and the new disc put back on. The carrier needed much cleaning of crud to enable it to fit over the new disc but once done, fine. Until I came to bolt it back up......oh. Hello Mr Mysterious 6mm ish gap between carrier and hub mounting face.

Took it all back off, checked and the put it all back on. Gap still present. Knowing it has had a new hub at some point, I used the hubs from the breaker and then the hubs from the Ph1 breaker I still had as a sense check. Gap still there. I'm beginning to suspect the discs are wrong by this point.

Put it all down, went inside, made a brew and did some checks. Service box, for once, was not very useful. All it did was confirm overall disc diameter of 283mm. Eurocarparts website was much better. It suggested there were two disc fitments for the Xsara. One with a disc height of 28mm, one with a height of 34mm.........hmmm, 6mm difference.

The discs are wrong, frustratingly. At least that's all it is so I chucked the old gear back on, put the wheel back on and dropped it back on the floor.

Raidator finally fitted although those French definitely designed that bottom hose connection on a Friday. You need the hands of a small child to get in to fit the clip that holds the pipe in place. Eventually, I got it done.

With that all done, there wasn't much else to do, other than fill with coolant........

First two litres in and all good. Nothing coming out where it shouldn't be. At this point I opened the three bleed points and air started coming out. Quickly added the next 3ltrs and then carried on until the rad bottle was full.

Figured I needed to start the engine at this point. Battery was flat so I jumped it off the wife's car. Once it finally started, the engine mgt light was on, with the display above the radio was saying airbag fault (yes, because the seat isn't connected yet) and Anti-pollution fault (need to look into that some more....).

I revved it slightly which helps getting the coolant round. I put all 9ltrs in and once the bleed points were streaming coolant steadily and not blowing air, they were closed off.

I continued to let it idle and get up to temp. It got hot enough for the fans to kick in and I let them cycle in and out several times just to be sure.

I was about to turn it off at this point when I noticed a strange noise. It sounded like it was knocking but when revved slightly, it all but disappeared. It sounded very much like it was knocking but from the left hand side of the engine. A quick listen and feel about revealed the noise went when i pressed on the timing belt cover. That quickly bought about and end to the days proceedings. Raidator fixed, other bits not now fixed. You couldn't make this up. Perhaps the Xsara is objecting to being stood for 3 months.

So tomorrow will be about having the cambelt cover off to see if I can figure out what's what. Spoke with Carl who suggested it might be the belt being loose. Given the car is fitted with the auto tensioner, I'm a bit concerned.

Posted 13th Mar 2019 at 22:22
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
I think the discs on the 2002 p2 vts are the same as gti6. They changed calipers and discs on the p2.5 to ones the same on the 206 gti 180.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 07:44
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #18
According to Euros Ryan, there are two different discs list for my car. The difference is in disc height (which apparently is the mounting face to the rear of the disc....) A difference of 6mm between the two.....not sure if that makes them the 206 stuff?

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 08:05
Joep

Regular

Post #19
It sounded like it was knocking but when revved slightly, it all but disappeared.

Had the same issue with the XSi that has a RFS engine fitted. Stood for 4 years... all oil was drained from the top of the engine. Kept it running for some time to get the oil distributed and the sound was gone.

Drove it 100 miles to my mechanic: before he changed the timing belt (was >5 years old, not even 200 miles on it) he noticed another sound. Just like something was rubbing against something else but then a bit knocking (not constantly)... when he changed the belt he noticed the tensioner and roller were loose! Belt seemed okay as far as one can see this by eye.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 09:12
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #20
Joep,

Yes, when I moved the belt cover a little, the noise disappeared. Its definitely belt related. Once.it stops raining and blowing a gale, I'll be out to have the cover off and have a look at it.

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 09:37
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #21
Slack belt confirmed. I can move it horizontally enough on the non tensioner side that it touches the cambelt cover housing.

Will get the brakes.done and trailer it to Carl.

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 11:32
Joep

Regular

Post #22
Damn. I would not even dare to start the car anymore in that situation.

Do you know when the timing belt was changed?

When I drive my 306's, I keep thinking of the timing belt. Someone showed me a movie of the timingbelt around 3000rpm... scared me how much it moves from side to side! Not sure it was with manual tensioner or auto tensioner.

Therefore, I try to keep RPM above 3500 :p

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 12:25
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #23
Timing belt was done approx 2 years ago.

Video as best as I can do....

https://youtu.be/n1W4cQ7Yxak

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 14:05
Joep

Regular

Post #24
My mechanic told me that even the belts are not fitted, the age is important. He now fits Dayco belts as these have production date mentioned. Others can be produced years ago...

What is your opinion on the interval for changing belts? I was told 5 years or 50k km... on FB I see 3 years or 30k miles.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 14:42
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #25
Peugeot changed the belt interval to 3 years or 36k. I stick to that.

Posted 14th Mar 2019 at 14:49

Pages (3): [1] 2 3