displaying posts 1 to 13 of 13

Author Subject: Linkages coming apart
goldfish

Junior User

Post #1
Hi,
I was driving to work yesterday morning and one of the gear linkages popped out, I couldn’t see what had happened at the time as it was dark. I got the car home and a few hours later saw the linkage had popped out so I managed to squeeze it back on, I tried driving it and the same thing happened but with a different linkage-it’s the 2 that run parallel with each other.
Is there something wrong with the gearbox to cause this or is it just that the linkages are old? I’ve ordered a new set from Miles on eBay to replace them.
Posted 15th Jul 2018 at 09:35
Rich E Forum Admin

Post #2
It could be the engine mounts, particularly the lower engine mount and gearbox mount are shot and allowing too much movement but the linkages do wear and start popping off when they reach end of life.

Rich
Posted 15th Jul 2018 at 11:58
goldfish

Junior User

Post #3
quote:
[quote="Rich E"]It could be the engine mounts, particularly the lower engine mount and gearbox mount are shot and allowing too much movement but the linkages do wear and start popping off when they reach end of life.

Thanks for replying.
Are these easy to see & replace or is it an engine out job?
Posted 15th Jul 2018 at 12:31
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
The bottom mount requires the drive shaft to be removed to press in and out the rubber bush from the bracket
The engine does not need to be removed for any mount change
Best to get under the car and give the block a wiggle and check the rubber for wear
But id try the new links first once there done it is not uncommon for them to.pop off

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 15th Jul 2018 at 17:15
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #5
If you have this style one then they break down over time perish and split into two their a two piece cup held together once this goes they've had it!

You can also get the Group N style Linkages which are much better and never seem to wear out,..

They come with a tiny retaining clips which is a total pita to fit but once on you'd not have to worry about them deteriorating and leaving you stranded!

Those are from Kam Racing here!

Kam Racing Clicky

But as said just go over all your mounts to check there's no excessive play going on! 😉

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 17th Jul 2018 at 11:38
goldfish

Junior User

Post #6
quote:
[quote="gnrlee"]If you have this style one then they break down over time perish and split into two their a two piece cup held together once this goes they've had it!

You can also get the Group N style Linkages which are much better and never seem to wear out,..

They come with a tiny retaining clips which is a total pita to fit but once on you'd not have to worry about them deteriorating and leaving you stranded!

Those are from Kam Racing here!

Kam Racing Clicky

But as said just go over all your mounts to check there's no excessive play going on! 😉

Yeah, the ones on my car are like the top one.
I’ve ordered a set from Miles, they should be here on Thursday, I looked at the Kamracing ones but I didn’t know if they were any good but I’d read quite a few positive reports about Miles linkages on here.

Posted 17th Jul 2018 at 13:30
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #7
Spot on mate
I wouldn't go back! Thumbs up

Posted 17th Jul 2018 at 16:09
goldfish

Junior User

Post #8
How easy do Miles linkages “pop on”? Am I going to be swearing a lot 🤔
Posted 18th Jul 2018 at 12:06
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
You need to remove the small metal clip from each end before pushing them over the balls, then the fiddly bit is pushing the pins back through and clicking them into place. It's not hard, just very fiddly and frustrating.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 18th Jul 2018 at 21:42
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #10
Find something to put under your back and prop yourself into position and buy a swear box! You'll be there for a while and the air will be blue but still worth the effort Laugh my ass off

Posted 19th Jul 2018 at 07:14
goldfish

Junior User

Post #11
Is it easier to work from above or below? There’s not much room from above 😕
Posted 19th Jul 2018 at 10:30
miki4

Regular

Post #12
When removing/fitting gear linkages I did as much as I could from below but had to reach from above between the battery and engine for some actions.
Posted 20th Jul 2018 at 13:29
goldfish

Junior User

Post #13
Well thanks for your help and advice, I did the linkages and drop links this morning and nothing went wrong...which is strange. No clips dropped, nuts undoing at the first attempt, no swearing, no smashed knuckles...maybe it’s all a dream 🤔
Posted 21st Jul 2018 at 06:50