displaying posts 1 to 17 of 17

Author Subject: '02 Xsara VTS 2.0 16V
jmartos94

Post #1
I've been lurking on this forum for at least a year, and I think it's time to introduce my '02 Xsara 2.0 16V and myself.

My name is Jaime and I live in Almería, located in the south of Spain. A year ago, I decided it was time to look for a Citroën Xsara or Megane Coupé 2.0 16V, since they both are quite cheap here, but finally I decided to go for a Xsara since their condition was fairly better than most Meganes out there.

Car wasn't mint condition but honestly it was worth the money, brake discs and pads were new, as well as the exhaust centre section. 105.300km on the clock (65430 miles)

These are the very first pics I took before picking the car. As you can see the engine bay was seriously neglected but the oil filter was brand new, so at least oil had been changed.

Another pic before going back home, 470 miles to go!

The next day I used some degreaser to clean the engine bay. I also changed the oil dipstick o-rings since one of them wasn't sealing properly.

Wheels and arches needed a clean, so a few days later I got back to work.

Got some white LEDs to do an interior lighting refurb + number plate light

Interior was filthy, so I started cleaning, I wasn't looking for a spot on finish at the moment but the car definitely needed to be looked after.

One of the first pics after some B-road blast, getting used to it since I drive a Clio 2 1.5dCi 65hp as a daily and I needed some time to get used to the difference of HP.

Air filter needed a replacement so I went straight to a Pipercross filter (PX1431)

Next step was to change engine oil (Motul Xcess 5W40), since I didn't know which one was running. I replaced the gearbox oil and fuel filter too. A few weeks later cambelt + water pump + aux belt was done too.

Engine idling became jumpy so I took the ICV and cleaned it with some WD40. To be honest the engine idle kept doing the same thing, the issue was fixed after disconnecting the battery Dunno

Pic of the engine bay, I bought a 45º/76mm ID silicone hose from ASH to fit the standard airbox.

I got a Xsara 2.0HDI back box off a friend, which is around 5-6kg lighter and exhaust note is a little bit raspier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BACy_1CaALw

Before the end of summer, I also purchased a set of lightweight C5 steelies, wrapped in 4 x 205/50/15 Kumho KU36

I noticed the rear quarter windows were full of s**te, so I gave it a clean with some degreaser + water.

Gear knob started almost falling apart, so I replaced it and also fitted a boot net.

I ordered some Motul RBF600, HEL braided lines, inlet + throttle body PTFE gaskets, Powerflex lower engine mount + black ARB bushes, Febi P bushes, tie rod ends, drop links and a CV boot.

Here's a pic of the car with steelies on. Colour choice was certainly a massive fail, my bad lol.

I removed the standard airbox and fitted a Ramair filter. Haven't gone back to standard airbox since the induction roar is awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgCPiu3h3ps

I also ordered and fitted Citroën C5 brake air deflectors.

Gearbox mount, shock boots + bump stops. I also got a pair of 306 GTI Eibachs on eBay.

I changed the steering fluid too.

First plan was to mount the 306 Eibachs on standard shocks. However, when we took out the OEM spring, the front shocks turned out to be in a really bad condition.

My very first trackday was in 3 weeks, and I had 2 choices: mounting the Eibachs on standard shocks, and get some Bilsteins in a few months, or making an €ffort, get the Billys and avoid mounting/dismounting everything twice.

Finally I ordered a pair of 306 GTI front B8s, SKF top mount bearings, and Xsara B6 rears.

This is the only pic I have of the process, I thought I wouldn't make it to the track day but luckily everything went spot on.

The track day took place in Guadix Circuit, and I couldn't be happier with the car, oil temp can be an issue if you drive for several laps without cooling down, so actually that isn't a problem at least for me.

Here you have the on board video of my fastest lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSEjYVXX2sY

3 months ago, I ordered a 2.0 HDI exhaust centre section. Price was just ridiculous, 18€ brand new.

I had the opportunity to get the car on a rolling road with some impressive results, I was expecting under 165cv due to the Ramair setup.

I ordered 4x OEM Spark Plugs at a near Citroën dealer

Removed the old ones, turned out to be Bosch FR6DC+

And a month ago I replaced the O2 sensor that's situated after the cat, since check engine light came on.

I fitted the PTFE inlet gasket just a few days ago, it's been sitting at home since last summer so it was time to install it. OEM gasket + PTFE + OEM gasket btw. I also replaced the injectors O-rings.

And that's pretty much everything I've done. Been gathering pics for some hours so it's time to sleep now LOL

I will try to keep this updated, I'll be getting a front set of Ferodo DS3000 tomorrow so I'll upload some (more Whistle ) pics
Posted 14th Jun 2018 at 09:42
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Welcome.

I enjoyed reading that. Do you think using c5 brake deflectors actually make much difference?

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 14th Jun 2018 at 05:05
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Welcome Jamie ...Brilliant read and something a little different Thumbs up
Posted 14th Jun 2018 at 07:55
jmartos94

Post #4
quote:
[quote="jord294"]Welcome.

I enjoyed reading that. Do you think using c5 brake deflectors actually make much difference?

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I really can't say if those deflectors make much difference, since C5 steelies do not get along with brake cooling and my standard Bosch pads are quite weak for the track. Once the DS3000 pads are mounted I think I'll be able to give a verdict about it. I guess they will help a bit, but won't be as effective as a proper brake ducting Thumbs up
Posted 14th Jun 2018 at 10:04
jmartos94

Post #5
quote:
[quote="Day666"]Welcome Jamie ...Brilliant read and something a little different Thumbs up

Thanks mate. I've seen your project and it's absolutely stunning Thumbs up
Posted 14th Jun 2018 at 10:05
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Nice. I had a phase 1 vts for a few weeks as brought for peanuts for the engine when they were silly cheap. Drove it 8hours home but what a nice car they are to drive was very pleasantly surprised
Posted 14th Jun 2018 at 22:16
jmartos94

Post #7
quote:
[quote="blandy"] Nice. I had a phase 1 vts for a few weeks as brought for peanuts for the engine when they were silly cheap. Drove it 8hours home but what a nice car they are to drive was very pleasantly surprised

Yes mate I find it such a fun car to drive. Phase 1 prices here are slightly higher than PH2s, but still affordable enough.

Little update, I received the DS3000 set yesterday. I couldn't wait to mount them and remove the Bosch standard pads I was running.

Before replacing the pads, I cleaned the brake calipers and put some silver paint layers on them.

Pic of the FCP406R pads

Hope I can test them on the weekend, really looking forward to it.

I've also ordered a 306 GTI OMP lower strut brace, I want to test if it fits Xsaras since subframes are exactly the same (at least that's what Peugeot/Citroen Service Box claims)
Posted 15th Jun 2018 at 21:56
jmartos94

Post #8
Few updates... Pre-cat lambda sensor started failing, so I bought a new Bosch one and replaced it. No more ignition issues since then Smile

Last year I replaced the wishbone P bushes... but I didn't know Berlingo/Partner ones were different so I got the OEM Xsara bushes. Since I wanted to fully refurb the wishbones, I decided finally to go for some Powerflex front and P bushes since I found some really cheap ones, and TRW ball joints.

Everything in place

Went for a test drive along with my Nikon D40, which had been sitting in a drawer for quite a few months.

Trackday is coming on next Sunday, so I already stripped out the rear seats and gave a clean too Thumbs up

Same track, Mike G Guadix Circuit. Same tyres, now worn Kumho KU36, but this time with DS3000 front pads, Brembo Max + TRW pads on the rear, and a rear lower tie bar. Looking forward to improve by 1-1.5s my previous fastest lap by correcting some mistakes. A few friends are going as well so I hope everything goes well and we all enjoy it Thumbs up Thumbs up
Posted 6th Nov 2018 at 00:31
Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #9
Very nice that.......looks very familiar Big grin

Every decide to get rid of the passenger seat, let me know ;D

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 7th Nov 2018 at 20:59
jmartos94

Post #10
quote:
[quote="Ben_W"]Very nice that.......looks very familiar Big grin

Every decide to get rid of the passenger seat, let me know ;D

LOL LOL I would consider that if bucket seats weren't an instant MOT failure in Spain. You can even get fined for it, so I'd better stick to the OEM seats since I want to keep the car road legal LOL
Posted 8th Nov 2018 at 12:43
jmartos94

Post #11
Little update... I just bought one of these Whistle

Pic is taken from Google, it's a 320mm OMP Velocita Superleggero. Can't wait to mount it LOL
Posted 8th Nov 2018 at 23:56
jmartos94

Post #12
Happy new year to everyone! Few updates since November, fitted the OMP Velocita Superleggero and got some used but in great condition 15inch Speedlines type 2111 to replace the C5 steelies.

Gave a good clean to the Speedlines Thumbs up

And finally a layer of FK1000P wax

Then fitted them and went to take some pics, what a massive change these have made imo.

Since the 2111s came wrapped in a 195/45/15 set of Uniroyals, I wanted to test if they made a difference compared to 205/50/15 Kumhos I ran before, and they really do

Just ordered a set of brand new Federal RS-Pro in 195/50/15, really looking forward to see how they perform. Plans for this year are getting some 306 driveshafts + ball joints to get some front camber, bottom alloy pulley (not sure if Pug1off or Spoox one), a roof respray since sunny Spain has f***** it up, and enjoying b-roads blasts and trackdays Thumbs up
Posted 15th Jan 2019 at 00:58
miki4

Regular

Post #13
Looks beautiful. My GTI-6 is also silver. Never was my favourite colour but once properly cleaned up and polished it really shines and wows.

195-45-15 is a huge difference compared to the original rolling circumference. I bet you feel a difference. LOL I'm running 195-45-16 on my summer wheel but I don't really like the reduced final drive ratio in everyday driving. It's a different case on the VTS though with its 5-speed box. My next set will probably be 205/50/16. A bit longer than original and hopefully a better driving experience. Especially with the coming s/c conversion. Big grin

Happy driving in sunny Spain and keep it up. Thumbs up
Posted 16th Jan 2019 at 14:22
jmartos94

Post #14
quote:
[quote="miki4"]Looks beautiful. My GTI-6 is also silver. Never was my favourite colour but once properly cleaned up and polished it really shines and wows.

195-45-15 is a huge difference compared to the original rolling circumference. I bet you feel a difference. LOL I'm running 195-45-16 on my summer wheel but I don't really like the reduced final drive ratio in everyday driving. It's a different case on the VTS though with its 5-speed box. My next set will probably be 205/50/16. A bit longer than original and hopefully a better driving experience. Especially with the coming s/c conversion. Big grin

Happy driving in sunny Spain and keep it up. Thumbs up

Thank you mate. I felt 3rd gear was quite long with 205/50/15 tyres + the 5 speed gearbox, specially on trackdays. Hope the RS Pro in 195/50/15 will make a difference, reduced final drive ratio isn't a problem for me since it isn't a daily driver.

Happy driving too mate, looking forward to seeing that S/C Thumbs up
Posted 18th Jan 2019 at 21:57
jmartos94

Post #15
Few pics from yesterday Smile

Posted 24th Jan 2019 at 15:15
jmartos94

Post #16
Advice needed over here LOL LOL

Since I need to replace my A/C compressor before heat comes back, I was thinking about getting a alloy crank pulley and replace it at the same time LOL . I've seen three different brands, which are Spoox, Pug1off, and TTV. Which one would you recommend? Afaik they're all well reputed brands, but I'd like to know what you think since there is no info at all about this on Spanish forums.

Thanks in advance for the advice lads Thumbs up Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Feb 2019 at 01:10
jmartos94

Post #17
Few bits ordered... Febi rear beam bushes + Powerflex Black Series tensioning kit. As for the alloy crank pulley, I finally decided to send an email to Rich W and it should be here in a few days Thumbs up Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Feb 2019 at 01:14