displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: 1 or 2 fans..?
devere

Senior User

Post #1
So as I'm having a tidy up and re do of my front end im debating what to put on my new radiator.

On my direnza short rad I've had two 10 inch fans on the back of the rad. They take up the whole of the rad.

My new rad is considerably bigger. So is it worth keeping the 2 smaller fans from the old rad, or would 1 larger fan on its own be as good/better? I'm thinking about 12 or 13 inch.

Would it help to have one half of the rad free flowing with no fan behind it?
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 18:49
eddy_gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I run 1 12 inch fan on a standard rad. Never had any issues on the road or track.

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 19:36
barrym

Senior User

Post #3
1 fan is enough for me.

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 19:58
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
As an alternative, you could have one fairly large fan which runs on the std. wiring, plus a little one running off of a relay & manual switch.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 20:20
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Do you know what brand the fans are?

Mine are from carbuildersolutions, pretty sure they're the 10" ones so that would be 650cfm each.
Their 14" fan is 1500cfm so should in theory move more air through the radiator and therefore get rid of more heat quicker.
10" fan clicky
14" fan clicky

Mine are more than capable of managing the coolant temperature when the car is stationary, but had issues with overheating with ambient air 30+c when making the car work hard, but i'm pretty sure the fans do very little once the car is above a certain speed anyway and my issue is i need a bigger radiator.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 20:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
One fan is ample - best thing I ever did cooling wise was to make a fibreglass surround for the rad. On my 205 this alone dropped temps by 10deg. I’ve done same on my 306 with 205 rad and sits at 85ish even after 25-30mins round track
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 20:40
devere

Senior User

Post #7
quote:
[quote="blandy"]One fan is ample - best thing I ever did cooling wise was to make a fibreglass surround for the rad. On my 205 this alone dropped temps by 10deg. I’ve done same on my 306 with 205 rad and sits at 85ish even after 25-30mins round track

You mean the fibreglass shroud/scoop on the front to make sure the air doesn't go around the rad? I intend to make similar. Although not sure what my fibreglass moulding skills are like! 😂
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 20:50
devere

Senior User

Post #8
My engine bay is very enclosed. Sump guard underneath along with side guards from inner arch to sump guard. Not much way of heat escaping.

My problem has mainly been on the hot days like mentioned above. I'm going to a couple of bonnet vents to get some heat out too. Give it somewhere to actually go.

I can probably only go 12 inch fan. Maybe 13 at a squeeze.. I have a feeling the 10s mat be CBS fans. Might look at a spal fan with a high volume of air moved?
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 20:56
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
quote:
[quote="devere"]
quote:
[quote="blandy"]One fan is ample - best thing I ever did cooling wise was to make a fibreglass surround for the rad. On my 205 this alone dropped temps by 10deg. I’ve done same on my 306 with 205 rad and sits at 85ish even after 25-30mins round track

You mean the fibreglass shroud/scoop on the front to make sure the air doesn't go around the rad? I intend to make similar. Although not sure what my fibreglass moulding skills are like! 😂

Yeah exactly that first time I’ve done fibreglass so not the prettiest but does the job well enough just made a template out of plastic and then fibreglassed over the top

blandy has attached the following image:

Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 20:57
devere

Senior User

Post #10
quote:
[quote="blandy"]

Yeah exactly that first time I’ve done fibreglass so not the prettiest but does the job well enough just made a template out of plastic and then fibreglassed over the top

Looks like I will have to get to work and make similar. That was just to fit behind an unmodified standard bumper? Il have to get the new bumper on and try and make a template from something..

You instantly noticed the difference it made then?
Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 21:07
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I did on the 205 previously but as it made such a difference I made one for this strait away before driving it, fits behind standard bumper as didn’t fancy cutting away the crash bar. Also keeps Hot air from the bodies as well

Posted 30th Apr 2018 at 21:11
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
I only run one 11inch fan now but also made a radiator cowling to direct / scoop as much air as possible....my Engines always ran cool even on hot days ...

Martin another neat thing to do which Sandy does and Mei / Welshpug mentioned a few times is to drill a few tiny holes around the very outside of the thermostat itself ...just inside of the rubber seal .....that allows water to pass and flow /not pressure to much when semi / or closed ....and even helps a little when open so say ????
He does that on all his race engines Thumbs up
Posted 1st May 2018 at 07:43
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
quote:
[quote="Day666"]...

Martin another neat thing to do which Sandy does and Mei / Welshpug mentioned a few times is to drill a few tiny holes around the very outside of the thermostat itself ...just inside of the rubber seal .....that allows water to pass and flow /not pressure to much when semi / or closed ....and even helps a little when open so say ????

I believe that is mainly done to aid bleeding the system, stops buildup of air against the stat plate
ive done this and it works really well
Posted 1st May 2018 at 08:01
devere

Senior User

Post #14
I did drill a hole in the thermostat a while back. Is one enough or is a few better?

Always managed to get the system held and working fine as it is tho.
Posted 1st May 2018 at 13:35
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
quote:
[quote="devere"]I did drill a hole in the thermostat a while back. Is one enough or is a few better?

Always managed to get the system held and working fine as it is tho.

About 3 is enough Thumbs up
Posted 2nd May 2018 at 19:38
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
quote:
[quote="cully"]
quote:
[quote="Day666"]...

I believe that is mainly done to aid bleeding the system, stops buildup of air against the stat plate
ive done this and it works really well

Your correct Paul but also helps other issues to Thumbs up ...
Posted 2nd May 2018 at 19:39
jimbok_b16

Post #17
i fitted a fan on each side of the rad and just staggered them. ones on a manual switch so I can cool the engine after a few laps
Posted 25th May 2018 at 17:29
devere

Senior User

Post #18
quote:
[quote="jimbok_b16"]i fitted a fan on each side of the rad and just staggered them. ones on a manual switch so I can cool the engine after a few laps

I did that originally a while back. I found that the fan on the front blocked the air flow cooling the rad somewhat, so moved them both to the back. I believe a pulling fan is more efficient also?

I have ended up going to my original 2 fans on the back of the new rad now. And going down the fibreglass front scoop to direct air through the rad.
Posted 25th May 2018 at 18:23
orta

Senior User

Post #19
I was having this exact conundrum after my euro trip where we were driving hard in the hotter climates of southern France. Obviously the Rallye only has 1 fan, whilst the lads in the GTIs has two. I was recommended 1 12” Spal fan combined with the Nissens Rad I already have.

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 3rd Jun 2018 at 09:37