displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Stainless steel exhaust
miki4

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys,

in the medium term I'm after a stainless steel exhaust for the 6 (cat-back). A decent sporty note, some burble on overrun would be nice to have and I don't mind if it screams on full chat, but else it should'nt be much if any louder than the original exhaust setup. What's more important is that it must not be more than 5 db louder than original at idle and cruising at 30 mph or else it would not pass the approval test.

What I read so far is that Jetex should be quite silent. What about Blue Flame? I did not find out much about it. An oval, original-like exhaust tip would be perfect but round is also fine. I don't like these 100 mm waste pipes though. What is your experience and which system can you recommend?

Thanks,
Michael
Posted 21st Apr 2018 at 13:00
alcon

Senior User

Post #2
Get a custom stainless system made, that way you’ll get the loudness exactly the way you want it and your choice of tailpipe. Usually work out cheaper than a mild steel thing from kwik-fit and the likes

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 21st Apr 2018 at 21:36
miki4

Regular

Post #3
That would be the most flexible option but way too expensive for me, at least here in Germany. I am thinking about a second hand off-the-shelf system. Fit and forget. I installed a brand new genuine PUG mid box 15 months ago and that just cracked a week ago. Will speak to the boss at the dealer but they already told me yesterday they only give one-year warranty. I'm done with replacing exhausts all the time. My genuine back box is also rusting away.

miki4 has attached the following image:

Posted 22nd Apr 2018 at 14:53
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I've got a Remus backbox with no mid-box. It's not very loud at all.

In my experience, the backbox makes most of the difference on these engines- the midbox helps remove certain resonances at high revs but ultimately removing it doesn't seem to change the volume that much.

I'm pretty sure Remus develops exhausts that are TUV approved so they should pass TUV inspection in Germany? It was £50 or less second-hand. The only issue is they don't come up for sale that often.

I think you'd want the biggest, quietest rear box and then the centre section can be any 2nd hand mid-section that mates to it really. You could look at which other brands are TUV approved?

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 22nd Apr 2018 at 15:37
miki4

Regular

Post #5
Yes, you are right. I only have that small crack after the mid-box but it's unbelivably loud now.

I tried to find some TÜV approved backboxes or cat-back systems but unfortunately manufacturers like Remus who usually have TÜV approvals for their exhaust don't list them for the '6 anymore, only for the smaller engines. This way I cannot easily find out which approved exhausts have been produced. It is also hard to find comparisons and objective opinions on loudness in German forums. This forum here is a blessing.

Thanks for the tip. Following your suggestion on the Remus backbox I found a pic of it and it seems pretty big. So should be okay loudness-wise. It also seems to be baffled? However, a TÜV approval is not absolutely neccessary as I could get any exhaust tested for some bucks and it should pass if it isn't much louder. Just need to wait and see what will be up for sale second hand.

Besides Jetex and Remus, what do you think about Blue Flame? Any other recommendations for a rather quiet, original-like stainless steel exhaust setup?
Posted 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:00
Joep

Regular

Post #6
I have a Ragazzon waiting to be put onder de GTI6 which is now in restoration... You will hear it in Cologne, hopefully soon!

I have a standard mid box with Sebring backbox under the XSi with RFS engine. Not so loud... will replace the mid box for a straight pipe when the Dutch variant of MOT is okay.

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:19
Joep

Regular

Post #7
Oh, yeah... my point was: I guess mid-box removal and Sebring will be okay in Germany, right?

My car park:
'96 Sigma Blue XSi6
'98 Diablo Red GTi6
'99 Onyx Black S16

All RFS powered!

Plus various other Peugeots
Posted 23rd Apr 2018 at 10:19