displaying posts 1 to 20 of 20

Author Subject: Nice day for a photo!
RobbieD

Post #1
Hi,

Took the Rallye for a run in the countryside this morning and got a picture or two. Trouble being it was a bit too bright!

Either way, here is some info about the car and how is sits at the moment. Now that I am happy with it I thought i'd show the rest of the forum.

I bought it from a friend about 18 months ago after having GTi6's and a Rallye years ago. It was a low(ish) mileage, genuine car, which was relatively standard and with lots and lots of paperwork, including every previous MOT. It sat on Compomotive MO wheels and the interior was in really really good, original condition. I had to have it!

It's a red Rallye, V plate, and is on 88K miles.

It has been to Skip Brown in the past, and had their fast road kit added. Which as far as I can tell, is basically Bilstein dampers all round, and the all important Quaife ATB diff as well as a short shift kit and a couple of bushes/engine mounts

The body was in really good shape but the paint was faded as usually happens to red Peugeot's, when i bought it.

First job was to get it serviced and checked over so I bought a cam belt kit, aux belt and tensioner, solid bottom pulley, plugs, etc etc and dropped the whole lot off to Matt at Pug-1-Off to get it installed.

They did this and a few other little jobs as well as giving me one or two other things to think about for future work.

Then came the colour change! I wanted to keep the original paint but in various shades of pink it wasn't very pretty. A friend of mine wraps bodywork for LMP/FE/GP2/F1 teams so agreed to help for a weekend. I stripped all the trim, bumpers, handles etc and we used a 3M wrap in the stunning grey as you can see.

Wheels were then refurbished and a set of brand new Yokohama's fitted and balanced, with brand new Compomtive centre caps and decals to finish it off.

I then had a set of Rally decals made in bright white and re-fitted them in the correct locations. Oh, and at some point along the way I sourced a 90's Kenwood Mask CD headunit so that was fitted, as it would have been circa 1999!!

The list that Matt had given me suggested we look at the usual damage under the car to the front jacking points, and a little oil leak from the rocker cover gasket. So back the car went to Pug 1 off and I got a bit carried away.....!

Matt and his guys did an amazing job to clean off any surface rust under the car and cut out and re-make the damaged sections. I have lots of very detailed pics of the work done and once re under-sealed, the car has no rust to the front chassis legs and is good for years to come!

We also noticed two of the Bilstein's were leaking so a brand new set of 4 Bilstein dampers and springs were fitted, with just a slight ride height drop to retain the amazing factory driving experience. We went with new OEM top mounts and new OEM front disks, pads and track rod ends were fitted whilst the front end was apart.

The car now drives like new and does everything you want from a relatively standard 306 Rallye. It has an aftermarket exhaust on it that I might change for an OEM version, as its a bit loud now that I'm not 21 anymore!!!

Hope you like it, I really enjoyed this project!

https://ibb.co/hagOWS

https://ibb.co/nOcrJ7

https://ibb.co/dSk0BS

https://ibb.co/mqjhQn

https://ibb.co/gmTvBS

Posted 12th Feb 2018 at 07:47
RobbieD

Post #2
If someone can embed these pictures or tell me how to, i'd be glad!
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 16:03
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I use a image resizer then post direct though the add reply button, I never figured out how to use Flickr

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 18:39
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 18:43
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Nice colour by the way

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 18:44
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Wow that colour suits the car good job

Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 18:49
barrym

Senior User

Post #7
^^^ this. I LOVE the car in that colour

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 20:22
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Nice, i like the colour scheme you've got going on there.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 20:38
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Sounds like a little gem this one. The front and rear photos look awesome but I’m not keen on the direct sunlight pics. Looks like a very good wrap though. I would love to have mine done Smile

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 11th Feb 2018 at 23:24
RobbieD

Post #10
Thanks, it seemed a shame to wrap it in Red, and I wanted something modern but that suited the car. It was a bit of a gamble but in the end it seemed a decent decision!

Agreed, the car looks much better in the sunlight in person than it does in the photo's!!!

Posted 12th Feb 2018 at 07:46
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #11
quote:
[quote=Cjwatson27]I use a image resizer then post direct though the add reply button, I never figured out how to use Flickr

but its

Soooo

damned

easy.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Feb 2018 at 10:16
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #12
I do like the look of this car a lot looks sweet. Seems to be loads of gti6 and rallye need welding underside mines never been welded and doesn't need it

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=163869
Posted 12th Feb 2018 at 13:43
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
10 years late to the party... They do look good in anthracite wrap!!

Nothing to see here
Posted 12th Feb 2018 at 19:41
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #14

Is it really ten years?!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Feb 2018 at 12:14
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Yeah pretty much.

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th Feb 2018 at 18:17
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
quote:
[quote="welshpug!"]
quote:
[quote=Cjwatson27]I use a image resizer then post direct though the add reply button, I never figured out how to use Flickr

but its

Soooo

damned

easy.

I must try again with it I couldn’t find out how to post with it

Posted 13th Feb 2018 at 22:44
99rallye

Regular

Post #17
Loving this Robbie. As a fellow red Rallye owner I'm loving your project....get a thread started in the Project section! I saw your Rallye on Pug1off's Instagram just before they fitted the satchschift to mine and thought it looked great then.
Posted 14th Feb 2018 at 11:22
orta

Senior User

Post #18
Thought the photos were done in black and white at first! It looks sweet tho! How much does a full wrap like that cost?

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 15th Feb 2018 at 12:22
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Depends on how much is done and the material

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Feb 2018 at 20:15
RobbieD

Post #20
Thanks guys, I wish I had taken more pics along the way of various work I did or had done, but there we go!

We bought about 15 Meters of 3M wrapping vinyl, which was around £300 ish I think. But my friend buys a lot of vinyl and cost is very much related to quantity purchased. I think I have 2 Meters left over.

I did have a local body shop just tidy up a couple of small dings and marks and strip back some of the damaged lacquer so we had a clean and smooth surface to wrap.

It took a FULL two days of him solidly wrapping and trimming and me stripping/cleaning panels and trim and then replacing it. So its 4 days of labour in total. By the time you do bumper inserts, mirrors, side skirts, door handles etc the time soon goes!

Expect to pay a £300 a day for a decent wrapper. You can add up the costs that way just about.

I did think about painting it again in the original colour, but to do a proper job would have been a full strip with screens out etc etc and I wanted something a bit different!

I think we'll do the roof again though. When you wrap you are forever fitting then lifting and re -positioning the vinyl. In doing this it lifted some of the lacquer at the front of the roof and you can see that slightly in the finished surface now. So strip the wrap off, remove all the lacquer to get a smooth surface and re-wrap. That's the only plan,

Posted 17th Feb 2018 at 10:57