displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Cam belt cover
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #1
Hi Folks,
I noticed when I started my car up the other day that the cam belt cover had a bit of a bulge in the mid section which was close enough to the alternator/PAS pump (relocated) belt that the belt actually rubs it. I knocked it off before I caused any damage, and had a look at the bolts on the cover itself.
All seemed pretty tight, yet if I push on the cover I can make it flex back in to shape and generate plenty of clearance to the aux belt.

Any ideas how I go about fixing this? If i can't tighten the bolts up any more, I can't see a way of reducing the bulge in the cover and clearing the belt.

Cheers
Iain
Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 17:49
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Might be a daft question but is the cover located properly into the lower plastic part of the cover?
From memory there are like two tabs that slide down behind a lower cover assembly which help hold the upper part in the correct location.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 18:06
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #3
To be honest Steve I'll need to look into it. I don't know for sure. It's not something I've ever tackled.
Can it be undone and refitted in situ?
Cheers
Iain
Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 20:49
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yeah it can be removed and refitted in situ. It's a bit fiddly getting to some of the bolts that secure it but it is do-able.

I've just been searching for any pictures i might have to try and show you what i'm on about.
In the image below one of the bit's i'm on about would be at around 2:30 if the crank pulley was a clock.
IMG_0886 by Steve Count, on Flickr

In this one the other side is visible at around 8:30
IMG_5140 by Steve Count, on Flickr

The top part of the cambelt cover should slide down and slot behind the bottom plastic part of the cover which is secured with the two capscrews shown in the images above.
If the cover isn't seated correctly then i reckon it would be out far enough to rub on the aux belt.

To remove the top part of the cambelt cover theres the three captive (i think from memory) bolts around the top edge, then i think two nuts down the centreline on the later models, on the earlier models i think theres a metal strip that you may need to slide up or down to release the cover.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 20th Dec 2017 at 21:47
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #5
Thanks for that Steve, much appreciated.Smile
Posted 21st Dec 2017 at 13:36