displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Coil overs on front suspension
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #1
Am seriously looking at fitting a pair of AP coil-overs as advertised on the KAM racing web-site to the front of my toy.

Can I still use the original top mounts or do I need to buy different ones?

Link is below:-

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/peugeot/peugeot-306/suspension/peugeot-306-ap-apf-coilovers-pre-set-damping.html

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 16:10
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
if they are as pictured then they will be for spherical bearing top mounts

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 16:42
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
quote:
[quote="welshpug!"]if they are as pictured then they will be for spherical bearing top mounts

I would go careful with lower end Coil-overs for racing Chris ....I take it they are going on your race car ?

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 16:46
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #4
quote:
[quote="Day666"]
quote:
[quote="welshpug!"]if they are as pictured then they will be for spherical bearing top mounts

I would go careful with lower end Coil-overs for racing Chris ....I take it they are going on your race car ?

Yes. The problem I have is that the previous owner put really hard [440lb ] springs on the front and it under steers really badly. I need to soften the front end. Was tossing around either sticking some softer Eibach springs on the front or go the whole hog and put coil-overs on. The car has adjustable AVO front struts and rear shox on it.

I am thus guessing I would need top mounts as shown in the link below :-

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tuning/peugeot/peugeot-306/suspension/peugeot-306-baker-bm-front-suspension-top-mount-set.html

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 17:03
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I’m no Suspension expert / ..but much better to try Eibach springs first and see if the Dampers handle the springs ok Chris ...it seems all about the Damper being man enough to control the springs rate ?...I doubt they can at mo ....hence the bouncing about Thumbs up

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 17:28
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #6
Wise words.

I think I will invest in some Eibach springs first. I have Nankang AR-1 tyres on it and they grip really well, with upper and lower strut braces on the front.

Druids at Brands is a joke. The car understeers towards the crowd !! Softer front springs should allow it to turn in better.
I run 15lb/in sq. difference between the front and rear and that helps it through faster shallower corners where it makes the back more likely to slide like a RWD car

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 17:35
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Don’t forget about the rear Chris ?
That controls the front also m8 ....

I found Personally messing changing the rear ARB plus Dampers has made more improvement than messing with the front m8 ....
You need it all balanced ...try the Eibachs first

Also massively important....what condition is your rear beam / mounts Etc

PS ...have a look at Old Member (Russian Guys) posts excellent read ...helped me out massively with suspension Thumbs up
Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 17:47
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #8
Just found the Russian Guy's thread. His car sounds incredible. He threw some money at it, that's for sure.

The guy who previously had my 306 did the rear beam as well so there are no shocks when you corner hard. It is progressive. I drive FWD cars like a RWD car so like the rear end to slide.

I was really lucky with my toy. The previous guy did all the hard work. I have just been gradually refining bits.

Learnt a lot from one of the guys [ Phil Law a mine of useful info about French cars ]I compete with in the 750MC hot hatch series I shall be forever grateful to him for his advice. I know my way round Fiestas but Pugs are a new ball game for me.

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 18:05
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
whats on the back? 440 isnt too high for race use but if the rear is standard itll understeer like a bas**rd

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 19:06
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
I run 450lbs on the race car with out much issue, but then I also have 23.5mm rear TBs to balance it out

Rallye Race Car
Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 19:23
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
So much depends on ride height, the alignment, tyre temps, diff type and weights, that changing springs and dampers might well do feck all.

Might be worth listing it tbh. Understeer on turn in or on power?

Nothing to see here
Posted 26th Oct 2017 at 22:15
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #12
quote:
[quote="welshpug!"]whats on the back? 440 isnt too high for race use but if the rear is standard itll understeer like a bas**rd

Which it does ! Whilst the rear beam was re-built by a previous owner, the paperwork suggests it's not far off standard so Davey's comments re trying softer Eibach springs make sense, which is what I shall do.

Thank you everyone for your input. Yet again this forum proves it's worth and the knowledge and experience of it's members are worth it's weight in gold !!

Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 08:05
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
Let me know who Davey is .....LOL
Thumbs up
Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 12:05
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #14
quote:
[quote="Day666"]Let me know who Davey is .....LOL
Thumbs up

podgy fingers of an old git trying to use a keyboard !!!!! Crazy

Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 12:10
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Along the same subject I have 30mm arb and 24mm torsion bars - I have no idea what the front springs are but looking to replace as part of a refurb - any recommendations?

Is a track car only with no road use
Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 12:28
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peugeot-306-gti-6-eibach-35mm-45mm-lowering-springs/142546500660?hash=item21306efc34:g:TDcAAOSwykZZ68ok

No relation to the seller but here's a very cheap set of Eibach springs so it would be very inexpensive to try them out.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 13:02