displaying posts 26 to 39 of 39

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Help! Problems after clutch replacement!
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #26
I wouldn't mind giving it a go as long as I had someone around who had done it before.

I also think the hockey stick seals are leaking so would want to take the sump and flywheel off to replace them...

Once I get all the bits together may chuck a message up on here and fingers crossed someone will be nice enough to give me a hand for many beer tokens...

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 11:16
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Getting the box in and out is the job I hate most! Such a faff getting everything lined up and I'm lucky that the race car doesn't have much in the engine bay. Sometimes I think it's easier just to pull the whole engine out.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 12:18

Regular

Post #28
Well a couple of reputable garages have quoted me £500 and £600 for clutch change including Valeo clutch kit, new gear oil and diff seals plus labour. Or 800 to include input guide sleeve, check/adjust the input shaft preload, rear main oil seal behind the flywheel, first main bearing cap and replace the 2 side seals (hockey stick), oil and filter change. So imagine your saving between £3-400 each time you do just the clutch yourself or £500 if you do the rest.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 14:36
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
quote:
[quote="oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk"]Well a couple of reputable garages have quoted me £500 and £600 for clutch change including Valeo clutch kit, new gear oil and diff seals plus labour. Or 800 to include input guide sleeve, check/adjust the input shaft preload, rear main oil seal behind the flywheel, first main bearing cap and replace the 2 side seals (hockey stick), oil and filter change. So imagine your saving between £3-400 each time you do just the clutch yourself or £500 if you do the rest.

Did you speak to Carl buddy ?

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 14:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #30
flippineck, need up up my labour prices LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 16:04

Regular

Post #31
quote:
Did you speak to Carl buddy ?

I havn't yet he did say he would need longer than a day when he was doing my beam, so somewhere to stay would be an issue lol and have to include the £60 fuel into the equation. I will get in touch with him after my track day, may aswell finish off my current clutch than ruin a new one Smile

quote:
flippineck, need up up my labour prices

I thought book prices would be around £500 to be honest... what would your price be out of interest?

Also sorry for hijacking the thread... although still slightly on topic...Whistle

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 17:18
cdgray

Regular

Post #32
Car is ready for me to pick up now, so will be getting it tomorrow morning, so praying all will ok but will update when once I've driven it and had a poke around underneath!

Chris - Phase 3 Moonstone GTi 6
Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 17:20
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Fingers crossed it's all good :-)

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 27th Oct 2017 at 17:44
cdgray

Regular

Post #34
Just picked the car up and first impressions are good, I'm glad to say.

Drives fine, clutch operation is very light and precise, box feels smooth, goes into gear without issue, no new vibrations or anything to suggest an issue so far.

Not had it up on stands yet but have had a look under the bonnet and peered underneath. The replacement casing is clear to see as it has been sand blasted, so looks like new. I could see BE3 on the new casing but not sure if the original was a BE3 or 4 as I didn't know there were two boxes until doing some research after the car went back! In any case, as far as I understand, the bell housing is basically the same between the two. My box has definitely been installed on the new casing as they didn't get a full gearbox as a donor. They explained that the alignment between the casings was taken care of by matching the new bell housing interface to the box and that this alone took 1.5 hours to get it spot on. Everything has been resealed and it looks pretty tidy in the bay too.

Underneath is clean with no oil leak as far as I could tell without getting under there. I will put some pictures up tomorrow before I put the under tray back on.

Only niggle is a slightly erratic idle but the ICV was doing that before anyway, plus the battery has been disconnected so guessing the ECU will be re-learning its optimum setting, which could affect this?

Will be taking the car on a good run this afternoon to a Supercar day at Castle Combe, so hopefully that should help assure me everything is working as it should.

MoT time as well this week too! That better not throw up anything new after the week I've just had!!!

Posted 28th Oct 2017 at 13:26
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #35
Glad to hear it's all good on collection.

How was it after the run?

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 29th Oct 2017 at 10:45
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
I'd replace the ICV. I leave the battery disconnected every time I use the vehicle and it settles to a steady idle immediately, whether I'm using it every day for a while or it is being started for the first time after a while of non-use.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 29th Oct 2017 at 18:48
cdgray

Regular

Post #37
The car drove fine during the run yesterday.

Got the car jacked up to give it a good look over this morning and all was good. Bone dry, so the oil leak is definitely cured (it looks cleaner than it was before to be fair). Ran the engine with the car in 6th while it was on the stands so I could have a listen to the box running and couldn't hear anything that sounded out of the ordinary, so pretty happy as it stands. Like I said before, could have done without the hassle/conflict/stress but if it is all ok in the end, that's the main thing I suppose.

I took a few pics while under the car too:

[url] https://flic.kr/p/CPPRWh [/url]

[url] https://flic.kr/p/YRcw1w [/url]

I also cleaned the ICV and that seems to have cured the idle issue. Keep meaning to replace it, are they expensive new?

Only other thing I checked was the engine top mount as I had some noise (cracking when shifting down quickly) previously, before the clutch was done, coming from this areas and it had got slightly worse since getting it back from the garage. Good job I did as the bottom of the mount was in pieces and the threaded section had completely separated! Anyone know the part number and current cost for these from Pug as I will need to replace before the MoT?

Posted 29th Oct 2017 at 21:23

Regular

Post #38
Great to hear all is good, looks like a job well done in the end Smile I have exactly the same leak but assumed it was the hockey stick seals... I bought my ICV for £40 delivered from germany, I got mine from here: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/magneti-marelli/1834581

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 30th Oct 2017 at 12:34
cdgray

Regular

Post #39
quote:
[quote="oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk"]Great to hear all is good, looks like a job well done in the end Smile I have exactly the same leak but assumed it was the hockey stick seals... I bought my ICV for £40 delivered from germany, I got mine from here: https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/magneti-marelli/1834581

Thanks for the link, just brought one. They had a sale on too and came in at £34. Bargain!

Posted 31st Oct 2017 at 00:29

Pages (2): 1 [2]