displaying posts 1 to 25 of 39

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Help! Problems after clutch replacement!
cdgray

Regular

Post #1
My clutch started slipping so had it replaced, along with the cable, fork bearings, gearbox input seal/carrier and diff seals.

When I got the car back I noticed some oil on the drive. It's engine oil rather than gearbox oil. I also noticed a rectangular hole in the bottom of the bell housing so the new clutch was visible. I have never noticed a hole here before. It's between the reinforcement ribs in the bottom of the housing.

I took it back to the garage and they told me the hole is there to allow alignment of the forks as the clutch is a pull type.

In terms of the oil leak, they believe it is from the sump, which I guess would have been disturbed when the box came out, as there are sump bolts in the gearbox.

My questions are; have they cut a hole to make the clutch replacement easier or to sort out an issue they had while doing the job? My concern with this hole (if not there normally) is the potential for crap to get in the housing and contaminate the clutch. If the sump seal was broken by them during the job, should they be putting this right free of charge or at my cost?

Chris - Phase 3 Moonstone GTi 6
Posted 21st Oct 2017 at 20:55
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #2
Hi,

The sump seal itself should not have been disturbed when removing or refitting the gearbox.

There should also be no "hole" at the bottom of the bellhousing if this is where you are talking about?
Can you take a picture so I can confirm?
There is a rectangular hole on the top of the gearbox whereby you can see the flywheel etc but not the bottom.
They are correct that the clutch is a pull type, although I've never found a hole at the bottom to help align the forks. You can do it through the hole at the top, although generally once you've done a few of these you can get it right by feel.

Ideally, a picture of said hole is required here.

Hope this helps,

Stan. Smile

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 21st Oct 2017 at 21:50
cdgray

Regular

Post #3
Here's a picture that shows both the hole and the oil leak. I have added the URL for the pic in case it doesn't post directly:

https://flic.kr/p/ZEPmGK

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 12:04
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Looks like they’ve cut that in there selfs, could the leak be from them jacking the vechile by the sump ?

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 12:40
cdgray

Regular

Post #5
Yeah, that's the conclusion I have come to now after a second look. You can see where it has been drilled to start and then cut from that point. There doesn't seen to be any swarf inside from feeling around, so think it has been cut while the box was off to aid with alignment when put back on.

Good point about jacking from the sump causing the oil leak. They would have done this to support the weight of the engine while the box was off wouldn't they?

The question is; what to do about it now???

The oil leak needs sorting first as there is a fair bit on my drive already.

In terms of the hole, what could this lead to in terms of issues? My first though is that it allows for contamination to get into the clutch area but whether this is a big issue or not is what I am not sure about? To properly rectify it's a new housing or as a very minimum a plate to seal it up somehow.

Do I let them try and sort it all? Should I be seeking a refund? They charged my £528 in labour to do the clutch, cable and all the other bits, so not a cheap job.

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 13:17
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
lol

nope that's not standard, cheeky f**kers!!! you don't need a hole to know its in properly, just be an actual half decent mechanic, or even RTFM.

wont have anything to do with an engine oil leak though, unless they managed to crack your sump or something.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 13:17
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
it wont cause any issues, there are other holes into the bellhousing.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 13:19
cdgray

Regular

Post #8
Good to know the hole won't cause any issues I suppose!

So, should I just be looking for them to sort the oil leak at their cost? Or would a refund of some of the labour be appropriate as well?

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 13:25
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I would not accept it, they’ve cut a hole in for no good reason, and now it has a oil leak normally they ring you or state that work needs doing so that implies the leak was caused by them. Take it back cause a fuss

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 15:36
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
My guess is they cut the hole to help line the clutch fork up with the release bearing when fitting the gearbox, it's the only job I could think of that would require a hole.

It could be that with the hole oil is now leaking out of the bell housing from the rear crank seal, although that would have happened anyway as WP says, there are other holes in the bell housing already.

Could they have disturbed the rear crank seal while changing the clutch? It would require them to take the flywheel off which wouldn't strictly be necessary, but then if they're cutting holes in things who knows!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 17:41
cdgray

Regular

Post #11
The oil leak has definitely been caused, or at best, been made significantly worse by them. There was some oil around that area but not the constant slow drip that is present now. The oil is not coming from the cut hole. It seems to be from the joint between the box and the sump/engine.

I took the car back to them for a very quick look on Saturday when I first saw the leak and hole. They actually told me the hole is there to line the fork up as it's a pull clutch but implied it was there already for that purpose but I did not push them further on that at the time as I wanted to confirm definitively that it was not normal!

They said that they saw a line of oil from that region and it should have been added as a note on the invoice (it wasn't). I just said if they had told me of an oil leak on the sump, I would have asked them to sort it before returning the car. They said they could sort it next week and will call me on Monday to arrange to have it back but didn't say either way if this was additional work or rectification work.

I'm pretty p*ssed off by the whole thing and could do without the hassle but will not be accepting it!

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 19:11
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
They should of told you, I do very little mechanical work myself but I always expect acknowledgement on things like this. Peugeot didn’t cut holes in the gear box for clutch alignment so why should they. I had a mini years ago a garage cut a hole in the inner wing to allow for clutch adjustment, when I wrote it off the insurance company asked why there was a cut out there, counted has a modification in there eyes, be very weary

Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 20:44
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #13
That is unbelieveable!

Absolutely no need to be doing that AT ALL. If it were me, I'd be going back and demanding a replacement gearbox. You did not give them authority to modify your gearbox - what a bunch of cowboys!

£528 for the job and they do that? It's easy enough to know whether the fork is lined up just by the feel of the release arm when you push the box home.

As for the oil leak, most probably caused by them too. Name and shame I reckon...but I'd be going in there and causing merry hell to be honest. Angry

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 23rd Oct 2017 at 00:33
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #14
Shock they should be named so no one else here goes there!!!
that's Shocking!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 23rd Oct 2017 at 11:13
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
I'd not bother going back tbh, sorting a sump leak shouldn't be too bad a job, can be done on axle stands though its a little faff with AC.

unless its the crank seal, but the garage wont have taken the flywheel off so wouldn't have been caused by any work they did.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 23rd Oct 2017 at 11:23
cdgray

Regular

Post #16
So an update on developments since the weekend!

I took the car back to the garage this morning and following a long discussion with them, they are going to replace the bell housing (not with new but with a used one) and transfer all the internals from mine. They will also fix the oil leak (suspected to be from the sump) and change the oil filter and obviously oil at the same time.

They were adamant that they cut these holes as standard practice if there isn't one there already, as doing it by feel is unreliable but acknowledged that they had not made me aware of this. They also said that they wanted me to leave happy with the work they have undertaken.

I really hope this all ends well and I get the car back without any further problems but we will see. I should get the car back toward the end of the week.

Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 15:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #17
hope they realise that the casings are all line bored and the bellhousing is unique to the 6 speed box, you wont get 6th if you use a 5 speed housing

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 16:16
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Hes just messaged me on eBay about a gearbox I have forsale asking for pictures of the bell housing, I nearly wrote I haven't cut any holes in this one :-)

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 16:39
cdgray

Regular

Post #19
I'm panicking a bit now!

I did make the point that the casting needs to be from a GTi6 and they acknowledged that but there was no mention of line boring anything! Can you give more details on what is line bored and what will happen if this is not completed?

Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 16:55
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
If hes buying a gearbox im guessing he will fit it complete.

1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 16:59
cdgray

Regular

Post #21
Well they said my internals will be transferred, so I don't know if they would fit the replacement box complete (on the basis I wouldn't actually know) or do as they said and transfer everything. If replacing the casing could lead to more issues I'd be tempted to call them and tell them not to bother but I need to fully understand the implications first. Hopefully they are not just after pics of a six speed to compare to the five speed.

Out of interest are you 'picupspares' or '206gtiparts' on eBay? Could you let me know if they do buy your gearbox?

Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 17:43
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Sure buddy. I'm 206gtiparts on ebay I will let you know. That's the best option fit a complete known good gearbox.

1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 17:46
cdgray

Regular

Post #23
Spoke to the garage again this morning and the replacement casing is coming in today. They confirm they are aware of the casing alignment need (line boring) and should have the car back to me tomorrow. So crossing my fingers that all will be well when it's returned, as the whole saga is stressing me out big time!

Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 08:38
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #24
I want to get my clutch done as it is way out of my comfort zone to do myself... stories like this worry me when taking my car to a mechanic...

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 09:59
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #25
it's not actually that difficult!

just a bit fiddly and a pain!
if you have a 2 man team it's much easier as 1 needs to be underneath when getting it back into place
or a hoist for a 1 man team
most difficult bits are the pivot spring clip for the upper arm if it's not been removed for some time
and making sure the clutch fork slides in behind the release bearing while sliding back onto the splines
you dont even have to get it the whole way onto the splines before tightening the bolts on
as long as you can get it far enough on the bolts bite then systematically tighten the bolts up crisscross pattern to make sure it goes on strait!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 25th Oct 2017 at 12:30

Pages (2): [1] 2