displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Storing a car for winter
barrym

Senior User

Post #1
Hi all,

It pains me to say this but I really think I need to stop using my Rallye as a daily. I have ploughed loads of money into it and it is performing better than when I bought it over 3 years ago, but the upkeep costs are growing and that is mostly down to the +20K miles I do a year.

The car is presently in a very very good mechanical state and the body is now free of rot. It needs a little bit of TLC to bring it back to mint, the front bumper needs replacing/repainting and there is a ding in the rear. I have been meaning to get these done for ages but the upkeep of the mechanicals and upgrading of various parts does dig into my available budget.

So my thoughts are to get a cheap runaround for everyday use and try to get the Rallye back up to spec.

So.... I have off road parking behind my flat. I can keep the car there and covered up no problem. But what else should I do? Keep wheels off the ground or just roll backwards and forwards every few weeks. Stick a crap set of wheels /tyres on and just let the car be. Start it every week or let it be?

I have never had more than one car before and never left one standing. I absolutely love this car and can't imagine being without it but if I keep on driving it every day I know I will kill it, either through winter rot or just wearing it out.

With the money I think I will save by getting a second car I know I can get this car to look as good as it goes.

This was going to be a quick short post asking for advice and turned a little lengthy purely because of how I feel about my 306. I won't apologise though as I am sure you can all relate to that.

To summarise: how do I store a car outside during winter?

Barry

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 14th Oct 2017 at 16:45
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Nice coat of wax, axle stands to keep tyres off the road, decent car cover and remove battery. Don’t know if it works but maybe a bowl of rice to remove some damp as it could get mouldy.

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 15th Oct 2017 at 16:29
lee306rallye

Regular

Post #3
I would just park it up leave it alone over winter and do nothing with it because by the time spring comes around you will be playing with it again and I wouldn't bother with a car cover they don't do any favours

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=163869
Posted 15th Oct 2017 at 19:40
alcon

Senior User

Post #4
quote:
[quote="3rd time lucky"]Don’t know if it works but maybe a bowl of rice to remove some damp as it could get mouldy.

A bowl of salt works better at drawing moisture out the air in the car. My old man used to do this when he stored a caravan over the winter and it always amazed me at how much water the trays of salt actually gathered.

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 15th Oct 2017 at 20:16
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Mine was parked up from Oct last year to Sep this year - I removed the battery and put the tyres on carpet and foam pads, and pumped them up to 42psi in an attempt to stop them getting flat-spotted on the concrete. It's got some steering wheel shimmy now so don't know if that is flat spots of wheel balance needed.

I left it in gear with the handbrake off.

As it was parked in a garage I left the windows open half an inch to stop the inside getting damp and mouldy, but if parked outsode the temp changes will cause condensation so some sort of dessicant like rice etc would be important.

Before starting I charged the battery with a trickle charger, and based on advice from here I removed the fuel pump relay and spark plugs, put 5ml of oil in the bores and turned it over for 30 secs before reconnecting everything. If it is only for a few months you probably don't need to go to those lengths. If you do decide to start it regularly, the engine needs to get up to operating temp or it will be counter-productive due to the condensation produced by a cold engine.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 15:14
iplay

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
A daily driver sounds like a good idea but the reality can be quite different.

The cost of a second car+tax+insurance+servicing 20k+miles ... will cost more than maintaining a single Gti-6. A 2nd daily drive might develop exactly the same problems as your Gti-6. Your gti-6 might also get unwanted attention being left alone all day long. Driving your gti-6 each day will keep it in better condition than letting it stand around - cambelt memory, tyre flat spots, condensation on the interior, condensation on aluminium parts etc. driving it each day drives off the moisture. You might also destroy a cheaper lesser powered car trying to emulate the A to B 'ness of the 6! Love

Life is too short to not make the most of your pride and joy. There are many cheap 2nd hand parts for a gti6 at least for the next few years.

Maintaining 2 cars is just a hassle ... learning to drive swiftly vs fast is the key.
A gti-6 is good for 250,000+
If you want to reduce the costs learn to squeeze the right foot instead of just planting it Smile
I have a 2nd gti-6 as a back-up car ... but my bianca has been flawless since 2006 ... and my back up 'sigma' has remained in the garage for the last 6 years.

Have you worked out the costs to get a 2nd daily driver on the road?
Posted 14th Nov 2017 at 19:23
barrym

Senior User

Post #7
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. I do agree with what you are saying in general and you are nearly spot on with some points.

My costings are pretty much based around the £5K I have spent in the last 12 months getting the car to where it is now, and driving it a bit slower would not have altered that cost at all. The car is 18 years old and has done 197K.

Since this thread started the car has had a head gasket and another full cambelt and water pump change. It still needs stuff done to make me happy.

My problem is that the mileage I do means the upkeep costs dig too deep into my available funds to get the car to where I want it to be.

The way i see it then yes it will cost me more per year to keep two cars than just the one if only it wasn't for the 'unexpected' costs of an old car going wrong. But I can save money by then doing the work myself rather than putting it into my (excellent) mech just to get a courtesy car.

I have worked out some costs. By using the Rallye as an occassional car I can actually insure it for an agreed value and all mods declared with an annual mileage of 4K and then insure a Fiesta Zetec S for £40 more a year.

Other than not driving my Rallye every day it seems a bit of a no brainer to me?

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 15th Nov 2017 at 22:12
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #8
I keep my 306 race car in an insulated Box trailer all the time. It's a Turatello trailer. Great bit of kit. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

No condensation inside; solar panel on the roof with a trickle charger on the battery; tyres not exposed to the light.
And yu can work on it when the weather is rubbish without getting wet etc !

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 17th Nov 2017 at 14:25
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #9
And mine just sits on the drive getting wet and cold like a peasant...

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 17th Nov 2017 at 17:19
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
This is how mines going to be kept over the winter and in my opinion anything less would be considered reckless lol

Cjwatson27 has attached the following image:

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 17th Nov 2017 at 18:53