displaying posts 1 to 25 of 25

Author Subject: What's a good budget Track Car now days?
lurch86

Senior User

Post #1
In your opinion, what would make a good budget track car and why?

I've been contemplating on a new track car just recently and was wondering what other cars would make a good track car? I've seen that you can buy a Megane 225 for relatively cheap money? Thumbs up

Wanted list... (P.m me if you have any)
Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Lydden Hill 31/10/2015 Last Track day
1st time at Snetterton on the Bike! 22/08/2017
Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 13:12
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
18poo.

gti6.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 16:01
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Mini Cooper s

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 17:36
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
225 cup is better as you can turn off the traction.
230 are significantly better
172 cup

Mini cs always seem very slow on track, dunno why.
Astra vxr are cheap

Nothing to see here
Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 18:15
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I'm surprised at that not that I've ever been on track but mine seems quite capable on the road even compared to the 306. But has I said I have no track experience just heard they were good on track

Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 18:41
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
S3, TT, mx5

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 22:25
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Depends on how fast you want to go and whether budget is "cheap" or "as little as possible".

In the little as possible bracket I've seen multiple puma engine mk5 fiestas lately for 150-400 with and without MOTs and some already fitted with quite a few bits like coilovers etc.

Clios are good and are cheap right now, good clios seem to be cheaper than 306s these days and I know multiple people who have run them stock or close to stock on track on decent tyres and had a lot of fun and perfect reliability.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 13th Oct 2017 at 23:40
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #8
I do sprints with a group of enthusiasts, and the Clio’s whilst competitive and fun are derided for their alarming lack of reliability. The modern mini’s are fast but also suffer from known weaknesses which aren’t cheap to fix.
I think the answer to question depends on your experience and the tracks you visit most frequently. You might want a quicker car than a basic n/a hatchback for long quick circuits, but something like that could be good fun on smaller, twisty tracks.
I don’t have a lot of knowledge of the meganes, but agree they look a good option straight out of the box. M3’s can be found for good money if your budget goes that far, but front brakes have to be upgraded for focussed use. If you fancy 4WD Imprezas offer lots of choice also. I think all 3 could hold their value quite well at this point also.
Posted 14th Oct 2017 at 08:04
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
s3 and tt are slow and understeeeeeery.

mx5 needs a turbo.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Oct 2017 at 15:00
lurch86

Senior User

Post #10
I've seen a few clio's on track, but not had one pass me, I had a clio in a couple of years ago that I was going to turn into a track car, but decided against it because it wouldn't really be an upgrade from my 306. There was a very well sorted Astra VXR that seemed very good at lydden the last time I was out, but by the looks of it, it had a lot of work done to it. There was 2 or 3 impreza's that were out in the same session as me once before (Fairly standard looking) and they were quick in the straights but as soon as they got to the corners the just understeered like mad! I would imagine with a bit of work they could be made to handle a lot better! would 4WD be much fun on a track day? Or would it take a lot to make it handle well enough to compete with a 306?

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 11:31
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
What sort of tracks are you wanting to go to?
For the likes of cadwell you won't go far wrong with a 306 or a Clio, on the other hand somewhere like silverstone favours big power cars and it just feels bland in a relatively standard Gti6. There are some very quick Clio sports out there, I've come across two and both were apparently on standard engines but properly setup suspension and were able to carry what speed they could get on the straights round the bends with them.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 11:43
lurch86

Senior User

Post #12
I'd like to try a few more tracks, but its mainly lydden hill and brands indy. So small track really. But I do fancy a bit more speed. Nothing is happening anytime soon, I was literally just starting a convocation to get some idea's. But eventually I'd like a fast track car!

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 11:59
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #13
Nice looking Xsara VTS in the whats it worth section
Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 12:07
lurch86

Senior User

Post #14
I'll stick with my 306 Thumbs up unless its Supercharged Big grin

Rollcage.
Strut Braces.

Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 12:14
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Got a mate selling a clio 172 if you go down that route

Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 14:33
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
quote:
[quote="welshpug!"]s3 and tt are slow and understeeeeeery.

Drove a new TT in 1999 - a little bit underwhelmed but nice interior. Drive a brand new GTI6 in 1998 and thought it was awesome despite nasty dash, which is why I have my Rallye now.

Also some S3 and TT parts aren't cheap to replace so I wouldn't necessarily call these a good budget choice if, say, the 18-year old Haldex centre diff blew its ringpiece. If you have the money they can be uprated to serious power.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 16th Oct 2017 at 15:23
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
quote:
[quote="mik"]
quote:
[quote="welshpug!"]s3 and tt are slow and understeeeeeery.

Drove a new TT in 1999 - a little bit underwhelmed but nice interior. Drive a brand new GTI6 in 1998 and thought it was awesome despite nasty dash, which is why I have my Rallye now.

Also some S3 and TT parts aren't cheap to replace so I wouldn't necessarily call these a good budget choice if, say, the 18-year old Haldex centre diff blew its ringpiece. If you have the money they can be uprated to serious power.

Well this is my thinking. You can buy an R32 engined tt for £2.5-3K. If you strip the s**t out of it and do some trick suspension mods, I think it can be a very capable car. Plenty of spare parts as they are cheap cars now. I saw an S3 on a track day and it was the most impressive car on track for me. Looked very quick.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 17th Oct 2017 at 08:41
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
Impreza with good suspension and we'll driven is hard to beat in most conditions

Nothing to see here
Posted 17th Oct 2017 at 21:47
fast_eddie

Regular

Post #19
Got to go rear wheel drive or super pointy front wheel drive car, otherwise you will be bored quickly..

As said, turbo mx5, jap rwd stuff, bmw track built stuff and french well sorted hatches, probably with an lsd in of some kind?

Newer rs meganes are coming down in price too, cracking things!
Posted 22nd Oct 2017 at 23:27
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
I just picked up a 225 Cup Megane (Stage 2 with 272 bhp and a few choice mods) its already as quick as my 306 track car around Bedford (as i found out yesterday) with a full interior etc etc

Very very capable cars, im enormously impressed!

Renault Megane by andy bradley, on Flickr
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 11:42
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
quote:
[quote="Chr1sch"]I just picked up a 225 Cup Megane (Stage 2 with 272 bhp and a few choice mods) its already as quick as my 306 track car around Bedford (as i found out yesterday) with a full interior etc etc

Nice one. I’ve heard a few reports of them not being very impressive in the handling department which i found odd. They always seem to fair well in ‘hot hatch’ competitions.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 13:20
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
quote:
[quote="3rd time lucky"]
quote:
[quote="Chr1sch"]I just picked up a 225 Cup Megane (Stage 2 with 272 bhp and a few choice mods) its already as quick as my 306 track car around Bedford (as i found out yesterday) with a full interior etc etc

Nice one. I’ve heard a few reports of them not being very impressive in the handling department which i found odd. They always seem to fair well in ‘hot hatch’ competitions.

Oh really, i've not read that, the R26R is seen as one of the all time greats! I fully intend to build mine in line with that spec just with more power. I'm well on the way, but parts like the rear ARB and Diff by all accounts make a huge difference. Right now the Megane lacks the turn in of the Pug, but then mine had a VTS rack, sticky tyres and its already a great chassis so im not entirely surprised.
Posted 24th Oct 2017 at 13:25
orta

Senior User

Post #23
Friend of mine took me out in his 225 the other day. The interior and overall build quality felt cheap and nasty. But as a track car I guess those things won’t matter

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
Posted 30th Oct 2017 at 20:25
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
quote:
[quote="Chr1sch"]
quote:
[quote="3rd time lucky"]
quote:

Oh really, i've not read that, the R26R is seen as one of the all time greats! I fully intend to build mine in line with that spec just with more power. I'm well on the way, but parts like the rear ARB and Diff by all accounts make a huge difference. Right now the Megane lacks the turn in of the Pug, but then mine had a VTS rack, sticky tyres and its already a great chassis so im not entirely surprised.
I've only driven the 225 trophy. I thought it was okay but compared to my 6, it was quite understeery and very torque steery.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 10th Dec 2017 at 11:07
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Anyone tried a Audi TT my brothers just got a 225 for £1300 and it seems very capable on the road for the money I presume with a few mods it could be a good track car

Posted 10th Dec 2017 at 12:29