displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: project procrastination. the ph1 gti6
robthe6

Senior User

Post #1
So its about time i started this project and project thread. Iv owned this car for around 6 years and its spent almost 3 years off the road. No

Little bit of History

I bought the car as my first GTi6 and also the first car i bought bu myself. up until this point i drove a dturbo and 1.8 estate, both were bought for me by the help of my parents as do'er'uppers as i had low paid jobs. But i got this lovely motor and have hung on to it.

For sale pictures when i bought it

When she was in her prime. with ollies 6 pot tarox, jenveys and avo's

I did throw a load of money at the car for its first two year but the 3rd year it suffered. It got me through some hard times, and because of this the car suffered. it did not receive the attention to knocks an squeaks rattles and what not. and was still driven hard as a daily down back 56 miles of farm roads an country lanes to work. so when it came to its MOT i didnt even both putting it through a parked it up as it wanted a good refresh to pass an MOT. So the rallye i had bought to sell on an make some money became the daily.

The car got parked up at Phil b's place while i got my life sorted out and tried to finish a few projects. Luckily for me i met a very good women while driving my 6 and she has helped me in everyway she can. And because we met in this car its also a soft spot for her Love

Other things get in the way!

Well im always trying to help other people with there projects and often don't leave enough time for my own. I find it quiet relaxing and a good mind challenge to work on something new. rather then do the day to day maintenance.
I got phil b's 6 back on the road after it snapped the cambelt 3 years prior. I finished my mustang after two years of long nights. I help build my mates beetle, and he still often comes to me to do more mods to do. I got my mrs a banger of a gti6, and refreshed it and rebuilt the top end only for her to kiss a tree with it Crazy I recently finished big daves V6 306 project which he started 8 years ago and absorbed a year of my life on my drive way. LOL and managed to still do all the normal maintenance to keep the rallye and truck an mustang going. And alot of this is thanks to having a Mrs that puts up with my junk and keeps me well fed.

The other projects!

All of my work iv done on the driveway. the garage at my house isnt big enough to the get a car in an the mustang i built between a cow shed at phils and rented garage on a farm an hour away from my house. This was all that was available to me and so all my tools an spares an junk have been spread over family an friends garages.

Well two years ago Phil B brought my white Gti over on the back of trailer while he took away the one the mrs snotted. it sat on the drive way for about 16months which has not done it any favours! No

However about 7 month ago i got hold of a large out building near by for me and my buddies to play with our cars in and spent a lot of time making the building useable for projects. and bringing my hords of junk to one location! So the Gti got moved into the dry about 2 months ago an has started its long an slow restoration. Thumbs up

Didnt clean up too bad

Sorry for the huge pictures! it may take some edits LOL

1997 ph1 bianca GTI6 - The looker
1996 ph1 Sigma GTI6 - Dead Sad
1999 Red Rallye - The Daily
2005 Nissan Navara D40 - Family car
1968 Mustang Coupe - The dirty little secret
Put ya foot down, put ya foot down we'll loose em easy!
Posted 14th Sep 2017 at 15:53
robthe6

Senior User

Post #2
So here she sits in her new home for how ever long! 6 pots are gone. Jenveys are gone. But still on avo’s and going back on 330mm brakes. Haven’t decided if I’m going to supercharge it or do anything with the engine other than rebuild it. That’s a way down the line.

being how long she sat for the first job was to strip the engine an box out and degrease the shell.
Number 1 assistant, lump coming out an the first proper look under her for 3 years.

bit of messy engine bay

So dragged it outside for degreasing.

Right iv figured out the uploader. just need to add a "h" to all the links so they resize without me going back an fourth for new links

Posted 14th Sep 2017 at 16:24
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Great stuff, keep it up.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 14th Sep 2017 at 19:46
robthe6

Senior User

Post #4
Well with the shell semi clean I got it back in side and left it to sit for a couple of days after blasting it with the air line. Then I stripped out the rear axle. Fuel system, all the brakes an abs and front sub frame an suspension. Few pictures of the rot which is ever more apparent now that the pressure washer and airline has peeled off the loose paint.

The right chassis leg although rusty was still in a lot better condition than the left. However im going to source replacement panels if possible. As you can see in the original washing pictures the brake pipe mount looks completely intact. However after some digging.

Removing the side skirt was my least favourite job. At some point this car had some paint work done. I know this because when I bought it, it had over spray under the door handles. Over the rad fan and a few other places. However I don’t know if they took the side skirts of or someone from factory did a really good job. But I had to use a pry bar as a long chisel to separate it from the panel with how well the tiger seal had stuck.

With this off I could remove the front wing and I found the normal rotten arch liner mount.

That’s all for now. Time to source some panels and work on this rust…

Posted 15th Sep 2017 at 13:17