displaying posts 1 to 8 of 8

Author Subject: Sunroof removal
Penfold92

Post #1
Hi there guys I wanting to remove my sunroof stripping the car for track purposes is there a type of bung you can buy etc or any ideas on what people have done maybe ? Thanks
Posted 6th Aug 2017 at 20:58
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I bought a carbon panel off eBay and cut it to fit. Also bought 'tiger seal' to bond it from eBay.

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 10:00
craig903

Regular

Post #3
3rd time lucky, how thick was your panel and how well did it bend to the roof contours?

208 GTI Owner
Turbo'd '6 project - work in progress
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 10:19
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
craig903 wrote:
3rd time lucky, how thick was your panel and how well did it bend to the roof contours?

3mm thick. It's tough to cut through though. It doesn't really follow the roof line but the hole isn't that big so you dont notice much. It been on 2 years and no one has ever mentioned about it being flat.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 13:04
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #5
If you knew how to lay up carbon of fiberglass you could lay it over the sunroof inside of the sunroof glass that would give you the slight contour you were looking for but most just buy a flat piece and rivet it in Wink

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 8th Aug 2017 at 07:57
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I found that there wasn't much metal to rivet the panel to. My plan was to rivet it but realised that was nearly impossible unless I welded some small plates to the underside of the roof. Although that would be the safest way, it would mean a lot more work and painting the roof after as the weld would wreck the paint.
Another option was to just rivet the panel straight over the hole but I was worried it would look s**te and make an annoying noise with wind resistance.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 8th Aug 2017 at 08:59
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #7
quote:
[quote="3rd time lucky"]I found that there wasn't much metal to rivet the panel to. My plan was to rivet it but realised that was nearly impossible unless I welded some small plates to the underside of the roof. Although that would be the safest way, it would mean a lot more work and painting the roof after as the weld would wreck the paint.
Another option was to just rivet the panel straight over the hole but I was worried it would look s**te and make an annoying noise with wind resistance.

If it's a track car it doesn't matter too much how it looks, I know a few who've done it and as long as you seal it before riveting theres no noise.

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 16th Sep 2017 at 15:30
Vlad

Post #8
Hi, did you end up removing the sunroof? if yes, I'm keen on the sunroof switches panel.
Posted 7th Nov 2017 at 07:39