displaying posts 26 to 44 of 44

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Trackday oil suggestions. And Gasket sealant options.
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #26
After seeing everyones comments regarding an oil cooler im having a look to see if i can sort out even a cheap oil cooler set up for the trackday in october, then after the trackday and when iv got more funds available il purchase some higher quality bits and things like a thermostatic sandwhich plate.

Its great to hear ur guys feedback and advice, as iv been trying to work out what sort of stuff il need for the trackday and more importantly whats a necessity so the car makes it the whole day and hopefully remains in one peace so i can drive home, which is from castle combe to colchester haha.

Question again for you guys i was refitting the inlet manifold back on the car and as i had the space was trying to picture the routing and location for an oil cooler and lines etc. But my 6 still has the twin fans in front of the rad so i couldnt see any where to place the oil cooler if i do get one in time. So is there a way to run the twin fans and an oil cooler or do you need to ditch one fan and run a single setup?
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 14:22
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
You will need to make up some small brackets and you will be able to place it behind the lower grill of the bumper. Don't forget to get an extra oil pipe line about 2ft long because they supply a long and a short but the short is always too bloody short.

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 14:42
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #28
Oh yeh i can make some brackets easy, thats not a problem. Just wasnt sure if there would be any issues having the cooler sat that far forward. Ok well i was looking at getting an unbranded 16 row cooler of ebay haha might regret it. And then il buy some metre lengths of braided oil lines. And then just need to sort out a sandwhich plate amd then some fixings with one end being push on for the oil lines to keep the whole thing cheap. Nothing final yet just an idea to try and put together a cheap kit. As i havent found any kits already made for less than about £140 and thats for a 13 row coolers. Extra for bigger cooler.
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 18:24
barrym

Senior User

Post #29
There are lots of kits for less than that. Just do a search for 16 row oil cooler kit.

example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-16-Row-10AN-Engine-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Adapter-Kit-Silver-/263118325890?epid=896999686&hash=item3d43130882:g:TKcAAOSwQVZZgFim

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 18:30
barrym

Senior User

Post #30
I actually bought this and the oil lines were too long and needed cutting down. I did use it with a Mocal thermostatic sandwhich plate though

Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 18:31
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #31
barrym wrote:
There are lots of kits for less than that. Just do a search for 16 row oil cooler kit.

example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-16-Row-10AN-Engine-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Filter-Adapter-Kit-Silver-/263118325890?epid=896999686&hash=item3d43130882:g:TKcAAOSwQVZZgFim

Thats ace. Thankyou for the link Thumbs up . I did put something along the lines of that but didnt see any that cheap. And it still looks like a decent kit. Apart from the lines did you have any issues? Likes leaky fittings etc. Im guessing that sandwhich plate will fit too. It is m20 on the 6 isnt it?
Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 19:24
barrym

Senior User

Post #32
Hi mate. No issues at all other than having to cut the lines to length. But in my book that is better than having to extend them. No leaks, I guess the plate will fit OK but as said I used a Mocal Thermo plate. And yes M20 as supplid in this kit.

One thing to bear in mind is the M20 adaptor supplied needs a 1" size deep socket to do it up

Posted 7th Aug 2017 at 20:44
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #33
Haha yeh id rather have the lines being too long than too short. Ok yeh hopefully the one they supply will be fine. Ok cool cool il have to take a trip to halfords to get a big enough socket haha. Of the top of my head thats about 25mm socket isnt it?
Posted 8th Aug 2017 at 17:56
barrym

Senior User

Post #34
25.4mm. From experience I know 25mm wont fit.

Posted 8th Aug 2017 at 19:20
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
Charlie@gti6 wrote:

Question again for you guys i was trying to picture the routing and location for an oil cooler and lines etc. But my 6 still has the twin fans in front of the rad so i couldnt see any where to place the oil cooler if i do get one in time. So is there a way to run the twin fans and an oil cooler or do you need to ditch one fan and run a single setup?

Ive fitted mine behind the standard two fan setup
you will need to cut some of the cowl and refix the bottom edge around 20mm forward of its original mount on the rubbers,
since fitting it ive also cut out the centre triangle to give more air flow

DSCF1710 by paul vincent, on Flickr

DSCF1706 by paul vincent, on Flickr

DSCF1698 by paul vincent, on Flickr

DSCF1694 by paul vincent, on Flickr

DSCF1709 by paul vincent, on Flickr
Posted 8th Aug 2017 at 20:03
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #36
barrym wrote:

Exactly that, as it's an American product you will need a 1" deep socket. Thumbs up

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 9th Aug 2017 at 20:21
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #37
stan_306gti6 wrote:
barrym wrote:

Exactly that, as it's an American product you will need a 1" deep socket. Thumbs up

LOL

nope, british.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Aug 2017 at 21:17
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #38
Ok, well they use imperial measurements which are more commonly used in the USA these days than here, so hence it's a 1" deep socket which you need.

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 09:39
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #39
As stan said we dont really use imperial measurements any more in the uk. The only time i actually come imperial bits is when im working on some old school uk cars. Or some that have a mix and match. Like some old formula ford bits with some of it from Australia and some uk.
But i just looked at the kit again and it comes with 2 fittings ones M20x1.5 and a 3/4 unf. So anyone wondering you would need a 30mm socket for the M20 fitting lol.
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 11:46
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #40
naah, 30mm is far too big, youd probably cover half the holes LOL

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 12:19
barrym

Senior User

Post #41
As said I have that kit and you need a 1" deep socket for the M20. You probably won't be able to get a ratchet on the end of the socket though as you will be too close to the radiator. Turn the socket by hand as tight as you can then use a pipe wrench on the socket.

The 3/4 unf is (I think) for the inlet and outlet oil pipes. I just used an adjustable spanner holding the sandwhich plate in a vice. I placed some cloth in the vice first to avoid marking the mating surfaces. You fit the 3/4unf adapters to the plate before install then the oil lines fit onto them after the plate is screwed to the block.

Hope this helps but don't be afraid to ask for more help

Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 17:31
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #42
welshpug! wrote:
naah, 30mm is far too big, youd probably cover half the holes LOL

Welshpug think your getting your sizes mixed up Razz. I messured a M20 bolt at work the other day and its 30mm. Sounds big but to put it in perspective an m12 bolt/nut is 19mm. Whistle
Posted 12th Aug 2017 at 17:41
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #43
barrym wrote:
As said I have that kit and you need a 1" deep socket for the M20. You probably won't be able to get a ratchet on the end of the socket though as you will be too close to the radiator. Turn the socket by hand as tight as you can then use a pipe wrench on the socket.

The 3/4 unf is (I think) for the inlet and outlet oil pipes. I just used an adjustable spanner holding the sandwhich plate in a vice. I placed some cloth in the vice first to avoid marking the mating surfaces. You fit the 3/4unf adapters to the plate before install then the oil lines fit onto them after the plate is screwed to the block.

Hope this helps but don't be afraid to ask for more help

I quite easily manage to get a 1/2" drive ratchet on the end of the deep socket without fouling the radiator?

Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 15th Aug 2017 at 18:35
barrym

Senior User

Post #44
I think I could get the ratchet on the end, just, but had no room to turn it. I am running the modine and standard manifold. Just enough room to get the oil fiter on and off because of the upward angle of the block.

Maybe my socket is deeper than yours Shock

Posted 15th Aug 2017 at 19:14

Pages (2): 1 [2]