displaying posts 1 to 25 of 44

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Trackday oil suggestions. And Gasket sealant options.
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #1
Hi guys got a trackday in the next couple of months, and im just wondering what oils people might suggest for a fairly standard gti 6 trackcar?

Iv been using Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 but i found the last time i was on track my oil temps started to creep pretty high, so im looking for other options that people have used on track and preferebly oil that isn't too expensive haha.

Just to add, an oil cooler is on the shopping list but i won't be able to get one for the trackday. Thumbs down

And another question, i have just removed the inlet manifold to clean it up and obviously i need to get a new gasket for the manifold and the throttle body. So the question i have is, has anyone used things like Gasket sealant instead of buying those paper/cardboard gasket replacement.

I mainly ask this, because it only needs to go back on for this trackday and then after the track day it will be going back in the garage for more work so i will probably be removing it once again and then il look at different options of gaskets in the future.

cheers guys.
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 20:08
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Just buy a couple of gaskets. You could even make your own out of an old cereal box Wink

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 20:58
barrym

Senior User

Post #3
Get an oil cooler fitted. Whatever oil you use it will go up in temp.

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 21:24
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #4
3rd time lucky wrote:
Just buy a couple of gaskets. You could even make your own out of an old cereal box Wink

Yeh im thinking for £20 i will buy a replacement inlet and throttle body gasket. Wasnt sure weather i could get away with just using that liquid gasket sealant you can buy for a fiver from halfords lol.
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 21:42
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #5
barrym wrote:
Get an oil cooler fitted. Whatever oil you use it will go up in temp.

Yeh oil cooler is definatly going to happen just unfortunatly not before the trackday, just wasnt sure if anyone could recommend so better oils or running a different grade so 10w-50 rather than 10w-40.
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 21:44
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
Charlie@gti6 wrote:
3rd time lucky wrote:

Yeh im thinking for £20 i will buy a replacement inlet and throttle body gasket. Wasnt sure weather i could get away with just using that liquid gasket sealant you can buy for a fiver from halfords lol.

You'll never get away with using liquid sealant instead of the gasket and you'll be chasing air leaks all over the place. Yes

Also, as said above ANY oil will get hot without the sufficient cooling unfortunately.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 21:46
devere

Senior User

Post #7
I use Millers CFS 10w60 in my rally car. Not the nanotech version tho.

Keeps oil temps noticeably cooler over previous oil and and keeps good oil pressure at all times.

I do use an oil cooler also.
Posted 31st Jul 2017 at 22:40
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #8
quote:
You'll never get away with using liquid sealant instead of the gasket and you'll be chasing air leaks all over the place. Yes

Also, as said above ANY oil will get hot without the sufficient cooling unfortunately.

Cheers guys. Yeh thats all i needed to hear stan, dont fancy any leaks around the manifold haha. So im gunna just buy some gaskets and be done with that Smile
Posted 1st Aug 2017 at 20:52
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #9
devere wrote:
I use Millers CFS 10w60 in my rally car. Not the nanotech version tho.

Keeps oil temps noticeably cooler over previous oil and and keeps good oil pressure at all times.

I do use an oil cooler also.

Yeh as others have said i know the oil temps will get high especially without an oil cooler. But i was just wondering with better quality oils or higher performance onces will retain better viscosity even when they start to get hot over say cheap engine oil, if that makes sense LOL

Iv heared of the millers stuff. Has anyone ever used the Total Quartz Racing 10W-50 oil? Came across this last night and 5L for around £30-£40 on few different sites. Might give this a go if anyone recomends it. Thumbs up
Posted 1st Aug 2017 at 20:58
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Charlie@gti6 wrote:

Yeh as others have said i know the oil temps will get high especially without an oil cooler. But i was just wondering with better quality oils or higher performance onces will retain better viscosity even when they start to get hot over say cheap engine oil, if that makes sense LOL

Iv heared of the millers stuff. Has anyone ever used the Total Quartz Racing 10W-50 oil? Came across this last night and 5L for around £30-£40 on few different sites. Might give this a go if anyone recomends it. Thumbs up

Give it a go mate. Let us know how you get on.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 10:50
reese

Junior User

Post #11
I used Millers CFS 10w-50 when on track without an oil cooler. It's rated to 125 degrees continuous use and up to 150 max. It doesn't overheat quite as quickly as lower performance oils but it still gets hot. I'd get a couple of hot laps of Snetterton in before I'd have to lift off and let it cool down for a lap or so before going again.
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 13:16
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #12
I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my 306 race car. Seems to work a treat.

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 19:29
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #13
3rd time lucky wrote:
Charlie@gti6 wrote:

Give it a go mate. Let us know how you get on.

Yeh im going to buy the total quartz stuff and see how i get on with it Thumbs up and yeh il give you guys some feedback on it. I was having a little look around at reviews for it and came across a scooby forum talking about this oil and they all seemed to rate it good stuff.

Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 19:36
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #14
Flatoutfarr wrote:
I use Mobil 1 fully synthetic in my 306 race car. Seems to work a treat.

Oh right il have a look at that as well. Im going to try the total oil. But if its not great then for my next track outing il give this a go.

Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 19:37
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #15
Looking at inlet manifold gaskets, and iv come across some Thermal gaskets from a company called thermotech. They reckon you can see a 10degrees c drop in intake temps, has anyone used this type of inlet gasket before? I mean for the price, which isnt much more expensive i might buy these aswell. Smile
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 19:40
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
Charlie@gti6 wrote:
Looking at inlet manifold gaskets, and iv come across some Thermal gaskets from a company called thermotech. They reckon you can see a 10degrees c drop in intake temps, has anyone used this type of inlet gasket before? I mean for the price, which isnt much more expensive i might buy these aswell. Smile

Yes. Many people have tried the PTFE gasket with mixed reviews. A much more worthwhile investment is the oil cooler though. I would recommend a setrab 16row as my mocal 16 row was f**ked from new.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 23:40
Charlie@gti6

Regular

Post #17
Oh right ok. So do people think there worth while buying or not? Iv found the inlet gasket and throttle body ptfe gasket togetger for £33. I dont know if thats a good price. Seems pretty low to me.
Oh yeh i wil be 100% getting an oil cooler, but Unfortunatly will have to wait till after this trackday in october. Oh right iv always heared good things about Mocal. But i have also heared very good things about the setrab. Do you use a thermstatic sandwhich plate on the cooler?
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 07:26
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
I would if it's a road car used in winter too.

Seems to me that everyone uses different oils and it's rarely the reason why things go bang! Oil cooler is a must, along with a good filter, not cheap crap

Nothing to see here
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 07:37
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Yes I use a thermostatic sandwich plate because I use the car on the road too. If you use a thick oil without a sandwich plate, the oil might not get up to proper operating temperature in cool conditions so it's worth having one. Have you done a search on here for reviews on the ptfe gasket?

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 10:41
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
i use a sandwich type too - works well and easy to install, if you can find time i'd get it on, they do get v hot
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 10:52
barrym

Senior User

Post #21
Def go thermostatic sandwhich plate in the long run, minimum 16 row. And try to get it before you do the track day. Even if you have to get a cheapo non-thermostatic full setup off ebay for £70. Doing 2 laps then slowing down to let it cool off would p15s me right off.

Save money with non fancy gaskets and cheaper oil. The oil cooler works out at £40 that way. I wouldn't bother going on track without one

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 18:23
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
I'd also not bother going on track without a cooler, been there and learned for myself the hard way.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 20:02
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
I done a track day without a cooler before. I won't ever do it again. Once my car was hot, it only took 1 lap to get to 130 again. Then 20 mins to cool down.

BLACK RALLYE - Sold
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 20:03
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
prism7guy wrote:
I'd also not bother going on track without a cooler, been there and learned for myself the hard way.

I have this man's old coolers and they are great on track.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 3rd Aug 2017 at 21:00
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
Charlie@gti6 wrote:
Oh right ok. So do people think there worth while buying or not? Iv found the inlet gasket and throttle body ptfe gasket togetger for £33. I dont know if thats a good price. Seems pretty low to me.
Oh yeh i wil be 100% getting an oil cooler, but Unfortunatly will have to wait till after this trackday in october. Oh right iv always heared good things about Mocal. But i have also heared very good things about the setrab. Do you use a thermstatic sandwhich plate on the cooler?
I've got a mocal 16 row. Its seems fine so far. Its been on a year. I use a Morris 10/40 synthetic oil. It'll still get got but hopefully to about 120°c. I got some track time at brandshatch soon so I'll find out in the near future.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 5th Aug 2017 at 13:21

Pages (2): [1] 2