displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: Well that's a surprise
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Went to look at a plant glass job yesterday & I noticed a car in the corner..went over & took some pics of the left hander but was shown the engine bay but asked not to take pictures of it because it's a car that came on the back of one of the 40ft trailers they make & it's not there's !!!

It was a work of art under the Bonnet trust me

Day666 has attached the following image:

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 10:51
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I'm going to ask to when I'm back again to take a few ..Thumbs up

Huge radiator & two huge electric fans in the rear

Day666 has attached the following image:

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 10:53
Chr1sch

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Nice - rallycross i assume?
Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 10:57
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
Rallycross supercar, I believe they still use an XU10 Block and Head still, running north-south like an Escos rather than transverse like the WRC cars (that might be the C4 though, not seen a DS3 up close)

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 11:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #5
https://www.facebook.com/NathanHeathcoteRacing/

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 11:02
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
looks a bit cleaner here

https://twitter.com/BritishRallyx/status/843179457766739968

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 11:06
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #7
I think I might have filmed it too, at Lydden Hill a few months back. Got to check the video.
Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 12:40
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
It's now been collected by the owner ...so sadly no under bonnet pics ....I'm gutted as it was a work of Art ...the HP type wiring was something else
Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 13:25
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Ds3 is transverse mounted I did enquire about an engine and turbo setup from the builder and was told not to expect any change from 75,000 but was told unrestricted that a 1000bhp was easily available
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/citroen-supercar/

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 14:51
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
ahhh a 206 WRC engine I have seen mentioned, still very obviously an XU head there.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 15:26

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
I believe the bottom end is still xu too.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 15:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #12
yeah being 88 stroke does sound like the xu7 based 206 wrc engine too.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 16:31
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
most supercar rallyx cars are XU based unless otherwise specified, these things are hellish they make wrc cars look rubbish

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 16:46

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
By the time I'm 50 I hope mine is nearly as quick. Sadly 4x4 and turbo is the only way that will happen.

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 16:51
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
600 bhp per tonne I believe awesome launches on gravel or tarmac

Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 16:59
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
I'm so bloody gutted I didn't get more pics & have a better look around it ...it was an amazing bit of engineering ....and thank you for all the links lads ....so wish I would of taken more interest in it ...rather than just taking a few outside shots Thumbs down
Posted 26th Jul 2017 at 19:46

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Building a Championship Winning Rallycross Engine – Julian’s thoughts
One of our latest engines is in the Citroen DS3 driven by Liam Doran. I started the project by inspecting all the available modern Citroen engines to identify the strongest example – a key requisite for a competitive Rallycross entry, especially as the rules stipulate that a stock block must be used.
At this point, I needed to check the strength and density of the materials and of the deck strength to ensure a reliable gasket seal – at 200bar+ cylinder pressures deck distortion can seriously wreck all my hard work!
Luckily though, Citroen produce a factory diesel engine that is just about perfect and I decided that this was the ideal platform from which to build. Using the diesel crank as a dummy, I experimented with compression heights, pin diameters and rod lengths until I found a combination that I was happy with.
With the bottom end taking shape nicely, it was time to have a look at the cylinder head (I have free rein with this as the rules allow any head to be used). I could have constructed my own billet alloy head but I decided that would eat in to the budget and time available too much, so I looked to the WRC head as a starting point. As you may be aware, WRC engines use a 34mm restrictor whereas Rallycross engines use 45mm so it needed a complete re-work to make it suitable. With this in mind, I decided to start with standard road car 16v heads and have them heat treated to improve the material qualities and then machine off any excess material using our XYZ mill. Once the drawing is created, we can machine 60% of the ports and chambers saving huge amounts of time in the process. Indeed, I would estimate that it’s around 10 times faster than doing it by hand, and every head is identical. As I had a combination of valve springs, seats and caps already sorted out, and valves made to suit, I just had a final cam choice to make and the workshop team could start building a prototype. I have experimented with cam lobe design over the years by performing back-to-back testing on our Superflow Dynometer, so choosing the right cams was pretty straightforward.
By now, Arrows had started manufacturing cranks and rods which are the best around in my opinion. I can be sure that, once fitted in a strong block with a billet cradle type sump, it won’t be Arrows parts that let me down. In fact in our YB engines we have never had a crank failure since I designed the billet dry sump and heavy duty crankshaft. Omega make L1 Bridge Pistons for my engines which again I completely trust. I always use the best components in our engines right down to the washers and bolts – not necessarily the cheapest route to take but winning Championships calls for power and reliability rather than receiving penalty points from the FiA for changing an engine!
In all, the only original Citroen parts left are the block casting, head casting front cover and timing belt sprocket. Every other part is made, machined or replaced.
Now, with a fully built engine assembly, we can design the manifolds around the engine’s position in the car. Eventually, a completed engine can make its first dyno run and, with the engine controlled by a Pectel Sq6, I spend 2-3 days testing and tuning it. The result? 2nd in the ERC…..not bad for my first attempt!

Posted 27th Jul 2017 at 10:14
RallyeP6

Regular

Post #18
Interesting read Ross, thanks or that.
Posted 27th Jul 2017 at 15:14
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Top info Ross Thumbs up
Posted 28th Jul 2017 at 12:34