displaying posts 26 to 50 of 51

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: Road Rallye Project
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #26
Well done on a successful first outing mate

Q for you; what is the wiggly plastic fitting that you used to secure your fuel filter, and where did you get it from?

Cheers
Iain
Posted 1st Oct 2017 at 21:16
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Thanks Iain.

It is the standard peugeot part for retaining the filter. I can dig out the part number tomorrow if it helps?

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 1st Oct 2017 at 21:22
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Part number is 156773 and costs £2.36

How to do a clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url & =
Posted 2nd Oct 2017 at 15:25
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #29
Nice one thanks Mark!
Posted 2nd Oct 2017 at 19:52
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
Well the beginning of Dec I took the car out to compete in a Targa rally. Never done one before so did not know what to expect. Basically there are a series of tests which are like stages with road sections in between. Once you are at the test it's go like f*ck, collect the code boards and or signatures and the fastest time wins. These tests were all set off the public road with a couple on tarmac but most being over gravel, farm tracks or through farm yards. In some places the cow s**t must have been a foot deep LOL Great fun, started 46th and ended up 17th which I was over the moon with as it was both our first go at one. The car was brilliant on the mud and loose stuff and given how rough it was did bloody well.

Which resulted in this Thumbs down LOL

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 17:35
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Looks good fun ... wouldn’t fancy cleaning it after though
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 18:18
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Amazing Mark ....fair play for you using the car for what it was intended for m8....

So good to see cars being used not stored to make money on ....everyone to there own I spose LOL

Good luck cleaning LOL

Please keep the updates coming !
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 18:30
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Looking good buddy. Looks quite low for the terrain ?

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 19:11
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
Cheers all.

Cleaning it was easy, took a second to close the bonnet Thumbs up It looks lower than what it is there. It's raised up from standard and seems to be a good balance for the rough stuff and fast tarmac sections.

Electric windows with front Lexan windows is the next job...

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 19:18
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #35
quote:
[quote="marksorrento205"]Cheers all.

Cleaning it was easy, took a second to close the bonnet Thumbs up It looks lower than what it is there. It's raised up from standard and seems to be a good balance for the rough stuff and fast tarmac sections.

Electric windows with front Lexan windows is the next job...

Please buy scratch resistant polycarb (machrolon /AR Hard shell) is brilliant...ACW windows in Clevedon nr Bristol can make them to any size but does not form anything like performance4Plastics which are the best but not cheap !!!!
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 19:51
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
I managed to pick up a pair of front P4P windows a couple of weeks ago which are thermoformed and hard coated. I am interested to hear how the P4P rear 1/4 windows fit if you retain the standard fit. Do they seal well?

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:03
superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
Seal fine mate, but being bendable not as secure as the glass.

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:04
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Nice one Thumbs up it’s nice to be able to open them and not drill load screen of holes in the car.

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:09
tvrfan007

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Brilliant action shots fella, love the engine bay aftermath..

I'm Si btw Tee hee

Night Blue VW Golf GTD
Bianca LBSC Rallye - Track/Road Slag Project Thread
Sparkling Silver Mini Cooper D - Super Dooper Superman - (The other half's wheels)
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:25
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Ta. Yeah it’s taken me a month to get over how s**t up it is LOL The rest of the car was the same. The beam tube and torsion bars were one with mud and cow s**t. It’s good fun getting shouted out using the local petrol stations jet wash and leaving clumps of mud everywhere Wink

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:38
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
Looks fun do you need a license to compete ?

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:44
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Yeah an MSA non race national B. Basically answer a few questions and pay £40 odd quid a year. Stage rallying you need to sit the practical and theory test. That’s a job for this year.

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 20:48
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #43
Cracking update Mark, good to see you getting out there.
Looks like a good laugh that Targa Rally stuff. Not heard much about that - what are the regs on the cars for that? Same as road rallying?
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 21:03
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #44
Yes same as road rallying. The format is different and daytime instead of nightime but cars are the same.

Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 21:16
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
quote:
[quote="marksorrento205"]I managed to pick up a pair of front P4P windows a couple of weeks ago which are thermoformed and hard coated. I am interested to hear how the P4P rear 1/4 windows fit if you retain the standard fit. Do they seal well?

You can ask P4P to make quarter glass (without) the 3 holes and opening and make them in 6mm not standard thermoformed 4mm hard shell and then remove the body rubber / foam seals prime the body and permanently bond them in with tigerseal type bond ...then have the plastic circles that open and close in them which helps circulation of air from the front and out the back ..

I’ve spoke to P4P a few times and that’s what the boss suggested ....they are like £300 apair for that special order ....
Posted 21st Jan 2018 at 22:11
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Interesting. Though I fancy sticking to the 4mm and having them with the three holes. If they seal and don't p**s water in happy days. To be fair the current ones are rarely open but it's nice to have the option as you say to let air flow.

Posted 27th Jan 2018 at 08:45
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
Time for a long overdue update, reading through the other project thread updates has given me the inspiration and kick up the arse to dig out some pics and write this up.

Did the odd Curborough event with the PSCUK in 2017

So Feb 2018 I took the car out to compete on the Rali Gogledd in north Wales with Mr Hardiman sat in the silly seat. From what I remember it was a good run out, great roads, lots of start stop controls and despite a puncture, which only became apparent after setting off on a competitive section and taking the first left turn, we got to the finish. Started 34th, ended up 32nd and 8th in class

Quickly after that I was out on the John Robson Rally over in Northumberland. It was an earlier start than usual which meant we had an early finish too. It was a long drive there and back in the car but took in some amazing roads across the tops. I remember it being bloody cold but a good run out. Started 18th, finished 15th and 4th in class

Next up was Kick Start Rally in April 2018. This is always a great rally using some of Derbyshire’s amazing lanes. We started dead last in this rally and this cost us some what as we soon caught up and struggled to get past the cars in front which were holding us up big style. Still, we ended up 33rd and 4th in class.

I felt like I was getting into the flow of the night rallying at this point which set me up for the next event. This was a targa event, so a different format and in daylight, but we went really well on this one. The car had a couple of issues with knocking the quick release fuel return pipe off by the tank and a huge crack appearing in the windscreen on some really rough stuff. A cable tie or three held the fuel connector firmly in place for the rest of the event. This now has additional shield to protect them. As helmets are not allowed on this type of event, me and Mr Quigly have a tradition of wearing daft hats which always get a laugh from the marshals etc. Starting 46th we ended up 4th overall and 1st in class

The next run out was the Memorial GP road rally up in the Lancashire lanes. Now I do love it up here, they put one great events and with the last targa firmly in my mind I changed my mindset slightly to lets give it all from the off instead of settling into it. The rally was short lived and I ended up re styling the front end slightly on the first competitive section after suffering from the Peugeot back end bounce whilst going over the bumpiest road I have ever been on. After this I took my time to rebuild the car, I was slightly out of love with it all so it took me ages to find motivation to do it Sad

Posted 23rd Feb 2023 at 13:06
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
So, during rebuilding the car I took the time to make some improvements. I fitted a much stronger tube across the front of the car which the sump guard bolts to along with mounting the radiator, fan housing and a larger oil cooler. This allowed the sump guard to fit much closer to the underside of the car and in turn gave me better ground clearance. I also fitted a satchshift and carbon foot rests as the navigator had (rightly so) bent the aluminium one trying to apply the brakes in the previous rally. Once the car was all back together I went and did a track day at Oulton Park as a bit of a shake down. The car was faultless apart from the oil pressure gauge stopped reading and the oil was getting hot.

The pressure gauge ended up being another duff sender unit (I had only just replaced this one prior to Oulton) so I could only put it down to the engine vibrations that were killing it. I bought some bits from Torques and put it in line to the oil cooler to try and reduce the vibration. I stripped down the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate to find gouge marks inside on the piston and housing. After a google search this appears common so that went in the bin and replaced with a non thermostatic version from Torques. It has all been fine ever since.

Shortly after I ended up with a diesel gearbox. I took the 4.9 CWP from this and fitted it to my box. I had noticed the diff wasn’t as effective as normal so they was sent back to Gripper for a rebuild. I also had to replace the front brake rotors with a replacement set from Godspeed. The car takes off like a rat up a drain pipe now but its s**te to drive on the road as its revving its tits off. With the cost of the diff rebuild, new rotors and final drive, I started to use the car much less as I was not as enjoyable to drive and wearing out parts going to the shops for example.

I ended up coming across these

Ditching the standard PAS pump for a Merc A class electric one, which so far works very vell. No reason for doing this apart from why not

Which meant changing the alternator set up. The bolts kept coming loose so these are now wire locked and haven’t been an issue since.

The plan was to get the car log booked fro stage rallying. This meant I needed to sort the rear ¼ windows (film or plastic) and fit in date harnesses. I fitted a vertical hydraulic handbrake, but added a rod so it could be easily swapped between the original handbrake level for road rallying and the vertical one for stage

Being familiar with rallying at night I appreciate a decent light set up, so I bought and fitted these. Gwynedd Evans from GE Paintworx did a great job painting them up in Cosworth Ash Black. As much as I love the black, I do still wonder if they would look better in white? They are like turning the sun on down the back roads at night Thumbs up

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oipLoy]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oiuz6M]

Then Covid struck and as we know the world stopped. Rallies were being cancelled left right and centre and there was no way I was buying new harnesses to sit there and do nothing whilst the useable date was ticking away. So the car did not get log booked.

In June 2021 Mr Hardiman put on an event at Elvington Airfield as a promo for the Lions Cup. It was a fun day out trashing the car about in the rain

I decided to get back out and do another night rally so entered the Primrose rally back up in the Lancashire lanes in November 2021. I had to put all the trim I had removed, take off the pods and fit compliant spot lights again. This was very much a take it easy and see how I feel about it, the car etc. We had a good run, but I could not get into it. The car felt better and the new rear dampers were night and day The rally ended up having the final section scrubbed and I just loaded the car onto the trailer and headed home. I still don’t think I know the result to this day, just was not bothered about it.

Posted 23rd Feb 2023 at 13:58
marksorrento205

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
I had the nod from Mr Fenton about an idea he had for some new rear calipers with a larger piston diameter. The idea being it would improve the hydraulic handbrake action. They had to be mounted at a different angle to ensure there was no contact with the inner wing and I swapped to a 205 1.9 rear disc to space them out further. It’s a great set up and works really well

My local car club was putting on a series of PCA events at a quary in North Wales. They are a daytime sprint event on gravel (best way I can think of describing them) where you tear arse about, play with the handbrake getting it sideways whilst against the clock. 3 runs in the morning, 3 in the afternoon on a reverse course and the best two times for each session count. Quickest overall time wins. So I did a couple of these in Dec 2021 and April 2022. We went up the night before and enjoyed a bbq and a few beers. Cracking fun day out but the car was getting a right battering and the days of cleaning it afterwards got tiresome.

I then became aware of evening trackdays at Three Sisters which is only 20 mins from me. I saw a post from Ben (Ben306) so popped up one night and had a good chat with him. I ended up doing a couple of evening there. It is a cheap way of getting a few hours on the track and having fun

Now, one thing this has highlighted was due to my set up for the lanes, it had next to no negative camber. I was destroying the outer edge of my tyres so I had to look into a new set up. I was lucky enough to come across these Satchell beauties and I added a set of BBM top mounts into the mix.

Now back to not getting the car log booked. As a result of not doing this previously, the MSUK / FIA have changed the regulations on the seat rails. The ones I had are still allowed to compete, if the car had been previously log booked. So, I needed them to be replaced. I took the car back to Alan at Alan Crossley Motorsport Engineering who fitted a couple of sets of Custom Cages kits. The less said about the customer service / dispatch time from CC’s the better. The product is decent but the rails come pre drilled, next time I would start fresh with blank complaint box section and drill to suit the seats. Alan did a top job knocking them up. I made a couple of captive washers to stop the seat side mounts spreading apart in the event of a heavy impact

Whilst I was as it I moved the battery from the boot to behind the passenger seat and took inspiration from others and made a maxi style spare wheel holder to shift the weight forward off the rear end

Me and Ben did Anglesey in Dec 2022 and the car was much better. I went with a conservative set up and the turn in and grip was far better. They tyre wear was almost non existent too. We also did Anglesey last weekend. After the morning session on the full circuit I decided to add more negative camber and re set the alignment. In the afternoon the car was transformed yet again. It was on rails to be fair. However, I have only been running Michelin PS3s and it started to show the limit of them. The gearbox also struggles due to the final drive as it would be hitting the limiter prior to reaching the fastest part of the track (approaching the left hander rocket) so I have to lift and then get back on the power just before the slight right prior to bus stop to avoid this. It does mean it pulls from the corners well though.

Ben’s car is epic on the brakes and in the videos you see how much more confidence he has in them than me. This has left me spending the week looking into different brake set up options and more track focused tyres. The issue I have is I still want to go tarmac stage rallying so choices need to be made regarding tyre, final drive, stiffer rear end etc..

Posted 25th Feb 2023 at 07:36
ben306

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
Cracking updates and been good to get out on track with you recently. The cars are so evenly matched but in such different ways. certainly got me thinking about making more improvements to mine now.

Be good to see if you can get it set up so its still good for some track time as well as some stage rally time. Get the best of both worlds.

My 306 Rallye Project Thread

Few recent Youtube track videos, more on my channel
Pair of Rallye's doing a few laps of Anglesey

Lap of Anglesey Coastal

3 sisters circuit

Few laps at Blyton
Posted 23rd Feb 2023 at 21:39

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3