displaying posts 1 to 14 of 14

Author Subject: Alternatives to Cyclones?
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #1
OK Guys

As a few of you may have seen, I had horrendous trouble getting my Cyclones balanced with my new list 1C tyres for racing as no one locally, had the adapter until Kwik-fits of Bedford came to the rescue. Shame as my main set of Cyclones are in good condition.

I already have a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on some secondhand Dynamics 1.2's, which are great. I am now seriously thinking of looking for another set of 15" wheels to run my main race tyres on, at the end of the season. I would consider getting some more 1.2's but I keep reading negative comments about delivery times etc

I have been through all the old threads on the forum and there is some helpful info contained within the various comments.
There is no point in re-inventing the wheel [sorry; bad pun] as so many enthusiasts on this forum have had this scenario to contend with.

Your challenge, if you wish to take it, is to recommend what are my best options. Looking at 6" or 7" x 15" wheels.
can I use Fiesta rims as they have the same pcd?

Thanks, in anticipation for all your help.

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 09:16
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
ford wheels are a much deeper offset and would require spacers, your best bet is to avoid these and get a direct fit ET15 wheel.

try calling Rimstock directly, I've heard they can do good prices for competition cars, and also tell you what current stock levels actually are.

for the price and weight not much comes close to them, Speedline seem to be the next best thing but do tend to weigh a bit more unless you spend a lot.

Compomotive are still about, you could use an MO1571, however I'm unsure how easy these are to come by, theyre another one to speak to directly in the first instance.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 11:02
miki4

Regular

Post #3
What about C5 steelies? 6x15 direct fit (ET18) and 4,7 kg per wheel.
Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 12:35
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
miki4 wrote:
What about C5 steelies? 6x15 direct fit (ET18) and 4,7 kg per wheel.

Light, but poor brake clearance and poor brake cooling. Okay on a track day car on standard brakes (possibly), but not really for competition purposes.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 12:56
miki4

Regular

Post #5
Ah okay, good to know. Thumbs up
Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 13:42
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
team dynamics or Ultraleggeras I believe are available in the correct offset!

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 10th Jul 2017 at 14:25
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Go 7J.
C5 steels aren't very strong but are super light. Quite good on the back in cold weather as they don't dissipate heat quickly.

Nothing to see here
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 06:42
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #8
welshpug! wrote:
ford wheels are a much deeper offset and would require spacers, your best bet is to avoid these and get a direct fit ET15 wheel.

try calling Rimstock directly, I've heard they can do good prices for competition cars, and also tell you what current stock levels actually are.

for the price and weight not much comes close to them, Speedline seem to be the next best thing but do tend to weigh a bit more unless you spend a lot.

Compomotive are still about, you could use an MO1571, however I'm unsure how easy these are to come by, theyre another one to speak to directly in the first instance.

Welshpug:

You are a mine of useful information.

Many thanks for your help and guidance.

Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 16:24
jimbok_b16

Post #9
I'm going to be using a set of team dynamics pro race 3s on my track car as they seem to have alot of space to allow for brake cooling
Posted 11th Jul 2017 at 16:43
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #10
Well guys. I bought a new set of Nankang AR-1 tyres for the race car. Did Cadwell Park last weekend. Now I know why people rave about them !

Posted 2nd Aug 2017 at 19:34
jimbok_b16

Post #11
exactly what i have just bought. Smile
Posted 4th Aug 2017 at 07:22
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #12
Had a result today. Saw an advert on FB for some 7" x 17" alloys. £95 including virtually new tyres.
Bought them for the rims, which are pretty damn good condition.

Solves my problems in 2 ways:-

much lighter than the Cyclones and will allow me to fit a big brake kit without worrying about wheel clearance.

Will post a picture soon

Posted 24th Jan 2019 at 11:50
matt16v

Regular

Post #13
Cyclones are too pretty to ditch.

I've used these guys before, they have the Pug/Citroen adaptors on all their vans - https://www.hometyre.co.uk/services/wheel-balancing-mobile

1999 Astor Grey GTi-6 OEM+
Posted 22nd Feb 2019 at 10:16
wildoliver

Post #14
Ironically exactly what I'm also going through right now. I actually am looking for some c5 steelies (alloys) due to weight, but they aren't easy to find!
Posted 4th Apr 2019 at 18:38