displaying posts 1 to 25 of 36

Pages (2): [1] 2

Author Subject: Photobucket now requires payment for third party hosting
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Looking through some threads on here there seem to be a lot of pictures not visible, with a photobucket message saying "upgrade your account to enable third party hosting".

I googled it to discover that photobucket now wants to be paid for these pics to be available, which has potentially dire consequences for the threads on here. This has happened without notice in the last couple of days. There is already lots of comment about this.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/photobucket-now-charges-399-for-third-party-hosted-images/

"PhotoBucket now charges $399 for third-party hosted images

by Martin Brinkmann on June 30, 2017 in Internet - Last Update:June 30, 2017 3
If you have visited a website recently that displays images hosted on Photobucket, or are embedding images hosted on Photobucket on your own, you may have had a rather rude awakening one day as Photobucket decided to block these images from being displayed on third-party sites.

All Photobucket images hosted on third-party sites, at least from what we can tell, are replaced by a dummy image. It reads: Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting. For important info, please go to https://www.photobucket.com/P500.

According to some users that we spoke with who are affected by this, this happened without prior notice or any form of warning on Photobucket's part."

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 14:19
jorg

Senior User

Post #2
spotted something was going on yesterday but never looked into it Sad

306 2.1 S16 Tarmac Rally Car
Project thread: http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=143956
Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 14:34
rikky 🦔

Post #3
the funny thing is the link they're advising you to go to is someone's own Photobucket account by the looks of it

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 14:35
dangti6

aka JKshooter

Post #4
In before Welshpug tells us to use Flickr.

Surely the whole point of Photobucket is to host images so they can be viewed on other websites. So it's a case of go premium or it's unusable. Don't see any benefit retaining it if you can't do anything with it as a free user.

• Senior Test Automation Engineer for the 306GTi6 Owners Club Forum Wizard

• Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 16:08
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
    Use Imgur or Flickr, let Photobucket die!

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 16:41
    gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #6
    Ill move my faq images over and update any threads I thought helpfull like key reprograming using pp2000

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 17:26
    miki4

Regular

Post #7
    postimg.org is also an alternative I'm using without problems.
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 19:46
    RallyeRed

Regular

Post #8
    Just twigged this has happened to me.

Got everything on photo bucket, so it's a bit s**t for anything I've ever contributed to a forum.

Can only imagine thousands of other forums/threads affected in the same way.

Will have to look at an alternative in due course, but I'll be buggered if I'm going back through everything I've ever posted!
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 20:18
    Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
    That's just made 90% of the forum useless all the project threads and FAQ s are fooked

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 20:30
    orta

Senior User

Post #10
    This sucks big time. The FAQs were mostly written by folk not around anymore so it's not like they can upload the pics again

CLUB BLACK RALLYE

||B8s||60-70mm drop||Black Partner Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Refurbed Beam||Hybrid ARB||VTS Torsion Bar||
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 20:38
    RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
    orta wrote:
    This sucks big time. The FAQs were mostly written by folk not around anymore so it's not like they can upload the pics again

Correct, however you can click the dummy image and go to their PB account and see their library, so someone could theoretically save and re-upload them.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 20:56
    prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
    Bugger, that's going to be a whole lot of messing about if I'm to switch image hosts and update my project thread. Doh

Goldie the track car.
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 22:41
    RallyeRed

Regular

Post #13
    Such a shame this. Loads of folk discussing this on the interweb.. Seems a crazy move by PB.

Anyway, onward and upward. Just got going with Flickr for the first time. Seems alright once you get used to it.
    Fortunately I still had thousands of photos on my phone, so by downloading the app as well, was easy to upload.
    Also discovered you can use the 'share' function on photo bucket to stick them straight in Flickr.
    Done about the last 5 of my posts now. Not easy to remember what went where, but it's a start..

Flickr is one hell of a lot quicker than photo bucket as well!
    Posted 30th Jun 2017 at 23:13
    sageman

Regular

Post #14
    exploring community is going mad over this take into account that 99% of threads are purly pictures and theres hundreds of threads that have been archived and only the first post remains

on the other hand i suppose our faqs need a bit of a freshing up anyway

1976 Reliant Kitten
    1985 Reliant Fox Tandy campervan
    1998 GTI-6
    1993 Citroen XM sei V6 (barn find)
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 01:20
    Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
    That move from photo bucket has just destroyed 1000s of hours work and probably ruined many forums

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 11:29
    superchargedblack1997gti6

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
    It will probably make them very Rich. Proper curve ball cleverly played by them let people setup websites and forums then make them pay once the websites are setup!

Super high boost Completed, destroyer of gearboxes and 160mph club
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 12:04
    barrym

Senior User

Post #17
    Well done PB. You have broken the internet.

They would have made a fortune if they charged a reasonable and affordable fee but I don't think many will stump up $399.

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
    Black Rallye occassional toy
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 12:09
    miki4

Regular

Post #18
    barrym wrote:
    Well done PB. You have broken the internet.

They would have made a fortune if they charged a reasonable and affordable fee but I don't think many will stump up $399.

Just what I was thinking. Yes
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 12:59
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
    It seems history is repeating itself. I would say that the PB calculation that people will pay $399 to keep their images will backfire, and it will go the way of the others, at the collateral cost of forums everywhere being rendered almost useless for past content. See below, copied from another website...

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/224286-photobucket-wants-payment-for-3rd-party-hosting/?page=2

"Re posted from a popular general news website

Photobucket began as a 3rd party image host, now they have moved away from that and want $400 a year. They are monetizing your popular images, and they put ads on them so the viewers are paying too, making money on both ends.
    you cant even begin to imagine what this will mean to internet forums and blogs. older internet users remember what a dumpster fire the internet was when angelfire, geocities, and tripod stopped offering free hosting, broken links everywhere and it was the exact same cause, they started out to give everyone free hosting, but they reached critical mass as more people signed up for the free than the paid. they switched everyone to paid thinking their customers would not let them get shut down over something as trivial as $150 a year. It only took one year for angelfire usage to drop by 75%, and they were defunct shortly after. for YEARS after, you would search for information and reach a dead angelfire/geocities/tripod link.
    this is how its going to be with photobucket. if you have a free account and your images arent blocked, dont worry, they will be. the ToS is clear that NO 3rd party hosting is allowed with free accounts or even the first 3 tiers of paid hosting. right now its just the higher bandwidth accounts but looking at their ToS soon it will be everyone.
    Regardless of your feelings about photobucket, yes they suck, yes you should have seen this coming, yes there are other image hosts, its all irrelevant. You will search google for a DIY how-to and the pictures from 2006 will be down. You will search a honda forum for how to repair a 2010 honda pilot power steering noise and the pictures will be down. you will look for a halloween pumpkin idea from a blog and it will be text only with a bunch of photobucket.com/p500 image links.
    dont give them the satisfaction. if you use photobucket now, delete your images. image storage space is such a small concern these days, a 64GB memory stick is less than 20 bucks and a 256GB is less than 60. without the ability to share the images on message forums with an IMG tag, there is not a reason to store them on photobucket. delete your photobucket accounts and let them go the way of angelfire."

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 14:45
    demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
    When the forum was really unstable a while ago I downloaded all of the FAQs including photos, I've got about 100 saved pages!

I can upload the images somewhere and maybe admin could edit the posts to the new links?

Rallye Race Car
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 18:30
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
    Great idea. That would be a lifesaver for the forum. Those FAQs are gold especially for those of us who are OK at DIY but not gifted mechanics.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 20:19
    barrym

Senior User

Post #22
    As said that would be great. A quick check of the FAQ's has shown me they are pretty much wrecked. Re-instating the pics would be a massive help. I beleive we are only just beginning to experience how much of an effect this is going to have

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
    Black Rallye occassional toy
    Posted 1st Jul 2017 at 22:20
    RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
    mik wrote:
    Great idea. That would be a lifesaver for the forum. Those FAQs are gold especially for those of us who are OK at DIY but not gifted mechanics.

Yeah, they've even helped me with jobs I was confident with a few times. I usually check them as a quick reference beforehand and sometimes it has reminded me I'll need to buy another seal/part that I'd forgotten, saving me the hassle of finding that out when it is already in bits.

IMO the FAQs are worth the fiver a year on their own.

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
    Posted 2nd Jul 2017 at 09:28
    Ben_W

Formerly gpm

Post #24
    Right, I'm.going to swtich from PB.

Currently trying the Flckr app...need some advice though. It's busy uploading my pics but how do you.go about sharing them? I can see the share icon but only gives me an option to copy the pic URL, not with the IMG tags etc.

Am I doing something wrong or do you have to manually add them

Cherry Red Rallye .... On going OEM spec resto

China Blue GTi6 .... Weekend toy

Black 208 GTi .... Wife's car now

Silver BMW 550i.... The executive missile

Posted 2nd Jul 2017 at 11:59
    mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #25
    I've attempted to download all my PB pics but the download did not complete - though this could be down to the dodgy internet connection where I am.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 3rd Jul 2017 at 05:42

Pages (2): [1] 2