displaying posts 1 to 5 of 5

Author Subject: Seat airbag resistor
mekapaedia

Post #1
I've been searching around for the resistor value for side airbags that are supposed to be in my Ph3 because the equivalent of the MOT (ITV) is coming up soon here and warning lights are generally frowned upon - I've seen both 1.8 and 2.8 ohms (both fused) quoted as the correct values for the seats. Which is it?

I'm assuming as well this plugs into the plug with the two orange leads? I have one green lonely green lead underneath the seats as well, guessing that is a ground wire.
Posted 19th Jun 2017 at 15:29
miki4

Regular

Post #2
People usually use 1.8 ohms on a 306. A fuse will add several milliohms. I used two 1 Ohm resistors in series (equals 2 Ohms) for testing and it worked. Everything in that range will be okay.

Do you know if it is the seat belt pretensioner or side airbags? Is the warning light blinking or permanently on? I would rather fix it than doing the workaround. Clean the contacts with brake cleaner and bend the metal tabs in them. The seat belt pretensioner has an orange plug and the contacts are round and of small diameter. You will need a needle to carefully bend the metal tabs of that connector. It worked for me. Wouldn't hurt to do that on all connectors under the seats. Last solution would be to cut off the connector and solder the wires together.
Posted 20th Jun 2017 at 00:19
mekapaedia

Post #3
I don't have side airbags - I bought a GTI with the original seats swapped for what appears to be 306 HDI seats. I was less informed back then.

The plugs aren't broken - they're just totally disconnected. And on the passenger side there is no plug, just loose wires.

So this resistor goes across the two leads of the orange plug?

The airbag light occasionally starts blinking when I move a seat. Then eventually it usually goes away after a few restarts.
Posted 20th Jun 2017 at 12:08
miki4

Regular

Post #4
So neither of the plugs are connected? Weird. If they are disconnected, the lamp should stay on. Could be that a previous owner already put the resistor somewhere else in the wiring or directly at the airbag control unit and that it became loose.

If so, you would need to completely take out the old resistors as you could blow the airbag control unit if you put in another resistor. (1,8 ohm / 2 = 0,9 ohm)

EDIT:
306 HDI seats? HDI should be Phase 3 and should not all phase 3's have side airbags?
Posted 20th Jun 2017 at 12:29
mekapaedia

Post #5
The people who sold it to me, or the previous owner, removed the airbag light and had all the airbags unplugged (in the wheel and passenger side), so I'm not sure if they would have done that or not.

If it's in parallel yeah it could cause that... the cables with the plastic cladding underneath the seat seem untouched, but jiggling the wires around underneath the passenger seat is usually the only way to get the light to turn off.

As for the seats... they are these: . They are squishy on the sides and don't appear to have side airbags, they also have no plugs hanging down to plug the ones from the car in to.
Posted 20th Jun 2017 at 13:04