displaying posts 26 to 33 of 33

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: Oil hotter with aluminium rad
mekapaedia

Post #26
When you say "The pink kind" can you be most specific? All the coolant is green here.

EDIT: Bottle I've got says it's organic and has 30% ethylene glycol. Granted, also says the liquid is blue...
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 14:28
miki4

Regular

Post #27
It needs to be silicate-free and approved for use in aluminum rads/engines. I use Glysantin G30 (or G33). Everywhere available here in Germany. It is reddish and mixable with other coolants. It is the same standard as G12+.
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 14:40
ale624

Regular

Post #28
mekapaedia wrote:
When you say "The pink kind" can you be most specific? All the coolant is green here.

EDIT: Bottle I've got says it's organic and has 30% ethylene glycol. Granted, also says the liquid is blue...

er, i believe that "Pink" coolant over here is "OAT" (Organic Acid Technology). so that sounds like it might be the right stuff?
to be honest, i dont think the GTI6 is fussy about what type, just make sure you do not mix!

If you do mix it will sludge up, and block coolant flow through the engine. just make sure to do a good flush through with regular water first if you are not sure what is in there right now.
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 14:47
mekapaedia

Post #29
As I'm looking at getting the rad replaced (again) I'm probably going to just get them to flush it at the same time, and maybe go with this, it's basically premixed 50/50 G12+ to my understanding.

When the rad was replaced last week it should have been fully flushed and cleaned, the old rad left some brown stuff on the rad cap so I assume at some point there was some crap in the system.
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 15:05
miki4

Regular

Post #30
ale624 wrote:
er, i believe that "Pink" coolant over here is "OAT" (Organic Acid Technology). so that sounds like it might be the right stuff? to be honest, i dont think the GTI6 is fussy about what type, just make sure you do not mix! If you do mix it will sludge up, and block coolant flow through the engine. just make sure to do a good flush through with regular water first if you are not sure what is in there right now.

You are right. G33 is officially approved by Peugeot / Citroen and is OAT but you only get it in big casks. That's why you use G30 / G12+ as it's also OAT, nearly the same just not officially approved. Big difference is the colour though! The G30 is reddish-violet (pink?Big grin ) when the G33 is kind of cyan! You simply cannot rely on the colour as most green-blueish coolants contain silicate and usually you mustn't mix them.

I too think that you could use other types of coolant if you properly flush the system but I would always use the type which is "right" for the car to keep down the chance for someone to mess up in future adding the "right" coolant.
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 17:54
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
There's nearly always some crap in the system.

The 10W50 should be ok, maybe go lighter if you have cold winters. I regularly saw 120+ on track, hoping a massive new oil cooler will help. Mine isn't standard though.

Nothing to see here
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 18:43
mekapaedia

Post #32
Right now it's 8PM and 28C, doesn't get too cold here.

When I lived in Canada I only ever saw 5w-30, pretty cool to have some choice here.
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 19:10
ale624

Regular

Post #33
miki4 wrote:
ale624 wrote:
er, i believe that "Pink" coolant over here is "OAT" (Organic Acid Technology). so that sounds like it might be the right stuff? to be honest, i dont think the GTI6 is fussy about what type, just make sure you do not mix! If you do mix it will sludge up, and block coolant flow through the engine. just make sure to do a good flush through with regular water first if you are not sure what is in there right now.

You are right. G33 is officially approved by Peugeot / Citroen and is OAT but you only get it in big casks. That's why you use G30 / G12+ as it's also OAT, nearly the same just not officially approved. Big difference is the colour though! The G30 is reddish-violet (pink?Big grin ) when the G33 is kind of cyan! You simply cannot rely on the colour as most green-blueish coolants contain silicate and usually you mustn't mix them.

I too think that you could use other types of coolant if you properly flush the system but I would always use the type which is "right" for the car to keep down the chance for someone to mess up in future adding the "right" coolant.

Ah, ok. interesting, good to know the difference Smile

Yep, agree with you there. put what the manufacture said to put in it and you cant go wrong. there is a reason for everything!
Posted 15th Jun 2017 at 20:21

Pages (2): 1 [2]