displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Suspension for Race Car
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #1
I have just finished getting my track 306 GTI-6 race ready [courtesy of Tom Motorsport in West Kingsdown, Kent] Did a track day at Bedford Autodrome to check everything was OK and was generally satisfied with it's handling etc.

It is fitted with AVO shockers, front and rear with allegedly 400lb front springs. It certainly feels like they probably are that sort of poundage as I have raced Fiesta with 375lb front springs, in the past.

I am considering upgrading them at the end of the 2017 season. I know there are a few racers on the forum, so I need your advice. What are you running and what spring rates do you run on the front. My car has been lowered all round, by the previous owner. It still passes the MSA 100mm ground clearance.
I also run Federal 595RSR tyres which actually hang on quite well and don't run out of grip until 20 mins of hard driving !

Flatoutfarr has attached the following image:

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 2nd Jun 2017 at 11:38
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #2
And another picture from BA !

Flatoutfarr has attached the following image:

Posted 2nd Jun 2017 at 11:39
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Loads of differing views ..I think Russain Guys threads are as good as you will get Thumbs up ...
I know how I like the feel of my car ...not sure how you do ?

I'm changing mine as we speak but I mostly visit Combe which bumpier than most .
I'm looking for the Holy Grial without spending Penske money ..

Loads of differing views but Russain Guys threads are great Thumbs up

PS ...I've personally copied loads of his stuff & now tweeking to my liking
Posted 2nd Jun 2017 at 14:50
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Depends on budget really. I know Damien has spent a couple of grand on just his shocks whereas I've spent ~£700 on everything.

I run 400lb springs up front with 23.5mm TBs at the rear and a hybrid ARB. I'm using Gaz Gold shocks all round. It's a pretty good setup, has given me plenty of fast times and didn't break the bank. Doing a little bit of work to the rear beam soon but that's mainly to solve geometry issues and fit a bigger rear ARB.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 2nd Jun 2017 at 15:43
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
My Bilstein group A rears were amazing until
I fitted my New SB Engine & it wasn't up to how quick I was starting to go

Dan you get 60-80 Hp more & you'll see as you go quicker what I'm
Saying m8 LOL

Dan try £2k on the front one ways & nearly £2k on the rear 3ways ...crazy I know but the Engine now needs it to get the very best out of the car Crazy

30arb
23mm torsion Bars & im going to try 25mm I have & also use Solid mounts with (Jord294) on here axle its a work of Art Thumbs up
Posted 2nd Jun 2017 at 17:20
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #6
demondriverdan wrote:
Depends on budget really. I know Damien has spent a couple of grand on just his shocks whereas I've spent ~£700 on everything.

I run 400lb springs up front with 23.5mm TBs at the rear and a hybrid ARB. I'm using Gaz Gold shocks all round. It's a pretty good setup, has given me plenty of fast times and didn't break the bank. Doing a little bit of work to the rear beam soon but that's mainly to solve geometry issues and fit a bigger rear ARB.

I have looked at the Gaz web-site and I know guys who use them. One of my mates uses Suspension from Black Art Design in Essex but, oooooh ! expensive.

New AVO's are circa the same price as Gaz suspension and their factory is only at Northampton [close to where I live], so you can understand the attraction. I have seen people using the 3-way adjustable , remote reservoir type of suspension which is mega expensive but my theory is " if you don't understand how to get the best out of it, then stay clear !!"

Gents; opinions etc gratefully welcome. Dan. I wondered where you had got to as hadn't seen you out recently.

Posted 4th Jun 2017 at 15:00
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Chris use what ever you can afford & happy with Thumbs up

I've only gone to 3ways because of flexibility with changing rear Bars etc & F2000 ....I can then adjust write down settings & leave & tweak at anytime ...hopefully buy once LOL ....it's not as complicated as people think ...had a great crash course off John from Black Art LOL

I'm doing plenty of tracks next year so hopefully bump into you sometime Chris

PS I couldn't really afford any of my car ...but you find the money Whistle
Posted 4th Jun 2017 at 15:19
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Flatoutfarr wrote:
I have looked at the Gaz web-site and I know guys who use them. One of my mates uses Suspension from Black Art Design in Essex but, oooooh ! expensive.

New AVO's are circa the same price as Gaz suspension and their factory is only at Northampton [close to where I live], so you can understand the attraction. I have seen people using the 3-way adjustable , remote reservoir type of suspension which is mega expensive but my theory is " if you don't understand how to get the best out of it, then stay clear !!"

Gents; opinions etc gratefully welcome. Dan. I wondered where you had got to as hadn't seen you out recently.

I only really went with Gaz as they came up second hand in my price range. If I take the race car to the next step it'll be either Black Art or maybe Bilstein coilovers, but that's a long way off!

I agree with the understanding thing. I don't change the settings often enough to justify spending crazy money. I'd love to learn more but don't have the cash to be going to the track regularly to learn how the setup makes a difference.

I'm still around. Haven't been out in the car this year yet as I went on holiday and sort of fell out of love with it. Should be out in a couple of weeks at Rockingham and out at Snetterton next week on a trackday.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 5th Jun 2017 at 17:19
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
you dont need to understand the adjustable 3 ways with the extra canister tbh, they will perform far more consistently due to the extra oil volume and higher quality valving etc.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Jun 2017 at 17:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #10
as long as the guys making them know what they're doing if course Wink

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Jun 2017 at 17:45