displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: 306 Rallye bringing back to life
Sprintevo

Post #1
Having seen Ryans 306 Maxi when passing by his workshop, he told me all about the project and the fact that the cars were fab to drive. I remembered a white 306 Rallye sitting at the back of a workshop which had been there since 2009 gathering dust. It was dead after a split block as the owner had not bothered to use antifreeze. I bought it along with a spare engine and then had to explain to the wife about project no.3.

My plan is to bring it back to standard, paintwork is ok, interior is complete and the only rust is the front jacking points, rear beam needs attention according to the MOT fail back in 2009, suface rust on the discs. all the lines look clean and there is very little rust anywhere else, so I guess this is a good one.

On the lookout for a new short motor I found a rebuilt engine with new water pump, belts and pulleys for the cost of the gaskets. The guy was selling his 205 rally kit with 2.0 GTI engine after he had another roll and decided to sell up, this was a spare engine he had complete with de coded ECU, bargain.

First job was to clean the car, years of dust n grime plus loads of sparks settled on the paint a normal wash did very little so some special cleaning paste from Norwex and then a light rub with 1200 grit brought the white surface back to life, it will need a full machine polish at some time, cleared 8 years of leaf mulch from the bonnet cavities. Ryan kindly donated his old front bumper and I an now waiting to get some time to get old block and gearbox out to clean the engine bay

So I will be needing some new bits n pieces and will have lots of spare engine parts once I get the new one in.

Priority will be the jacking mounts so on the lookout for a shell being broken or the replacement parts if anyone knows where to get them, I will need both sides, rear beam will need doing as a matter of course, the only missing interior trim is the passenger door pull surround, and the passenger door mirror is broken, everything else will clean up with some elbow grease.

Posted 29th May 2017 at 11:21
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Was it you at his unit on Saturday?

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 29th May 2017 at 12:16
Sprintevo

Post #3
Yes had a look at the latest progress, was also sorting out the wife's audi at QRSport

Posted 29th May 2017 at 12:39
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #4
Welcome along mate.
Iain
Posted 29th May 2017 at 21:22
Nose

Senior User

Post #5
Hi Hugh and welcome mate. Love stories/finds like ths. Many helpful people on here bud if you get stuck for owt. If you need a top refurbed rear beam, speak to Andy - jord294 above, he does them to your spec, and a very high quality job too. Gotta luv a white Rallye Cool Cool

cheers Thumbs up

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 29th May 2017 at 22:11
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Sprintevo wrote:
Yes had a look at the latest progress, was also sorting out the wife's audi at QRSport

I take it you saw the axle Ryan had off me?

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 30th May 2017 at 09:06
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Good to see another one getting some TLC. By jacking points I presume you mean the cross-members behind the front wheels - most 306s have these stoved in because they look much stronger than they are and people jack the car on these but they can't take the weight. I had mine done and they guy fabricated the new bits, did a great job. The factory part called "stiffeners" (ooh-err missus!) by Peugeot were available at the time but were around 250 quid for the parts only. Not sure whether they are still available.

Ref rear axle - get one from Jord294 no question; you'll find none better. Ryan told me his Jord axle had been his car for over 5 year and still good as new. I've got one waiting at home to install on my car when I'm back (working overseas at present).

Looking forward to seeing updates on this. Get some pics up!

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 30th May 2017 at 20:20
Sprintevo

Post #8
Here are some more pictures to show the good but generally dirty condition.

I have other projects on the go, Integrale, BMW csl batmobile and helping with my stepsons Golf GTI so all the help will be useful. My main concern is the rusty jacking supports as they are almost totally gone. any advice on the best approach to this as I guess to improve it over OEM would be good.

I will post next in the projects section with my progress

Sprintevo has attached the following image:

Posted 31st May 2017 at 08:51
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
If you are going to improve over OEM, the factory metal on the cross-members is thin which is why they get stoved in. Some cars actually have places to jack that look like those cross-members which is probably why people want to jack on them. I considered thicker metal but got the OE spec duplicated by the fabricator in the end.

The other improvement would be to attach something to them so they look less attractive for jacking so when they are aligning the jack pads they choose the subframe or actual jacking points instead. One idea I was thinking about a couple of years ago (but have not done) was to buy new BMW Mini underbody aero panels and attach those to the underside - if those cross-members were covered by something they would be less likely to be used for jacking.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 1st Jun 2017 at 07:31
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Sorry for the late post ...Welcome Hugh Thumbs up
Posted 14th Aug 2017 at 22:59