displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: V6 cooling pipes
nat205gti

Regular

Post #1
Hey guys need some info...looked on Google and here but my search's aren't bring up any useful answers...
Iam doing a 306 v6 conversion (it was a package came out another 306 awhile back) didn't trust the engine so sourced another . The original had 3 water outlets from thermostat two I know for heater matrix and one for expansion tank.. but my new engine has four outlets?! Can I blank one or should I swap the housings over ?
Cheers
Posted 17th May 2017 at 08:43
ale624

Regular

Post #2
nat205gti wrote:
Hey guys need some info...looked on Google and here but my search's aren't bring up any useful answers...
Iam doing a 306 v6 conversion (it was a package came out another 306 awhile back) didn't trust the engine so sourced another . The original had 3 water outlets from thermostat two I know for heater matrix and one for expansion tank.. but my new engine has four outlets?! Can I blank one or should I swap the housings over ?
Cheers

No Clue about V6 swaps, but if you can swap them over i doubt there will be any i'll effects.as long as coolant is going where its needed!

although it does sound strange that the expansion tank would come off the thermostat? they normally come off by the radiator cap.
Posted 17th May 2017 at 10:23
nat205gti

Regular

Post #3
Think I've discovered the answer is because engine was an auto. The expansion comes off there as it's where the main water pipe is. Actually below the thermostat housing but the standard metal pipe I cut and used from there Smile
Posted 17th May 2017 at 10:37
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Careful which way round they go as it won't work. You are correct about the auto difference - I blanked that one off.

Nothing to see here
Posted 17th May 2017 at 19:35