displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: PCV and breathers
deeturbo

Regular

Post #1
Today I was looking at a photo of someones engine bay and I noticed the PCV valve on my car is on the wrong outlet on the cam cover.

So the PCV is on the right and the pipe coming from the crank is on the left as you look on the block, It should be the other way.

What differences are there on the inside of the two ports on the cam cover?

I've read the port that is meant to go to the PCV has some galleries under a plate on the cover and I'm guessing the port on the cover to the crank breather is just open on the inside to allow gasses to pass easily?

I take it this is the reason for my excessive oil in the intake issue.

I tried swapping them over but the pipe coming from the crank has hardened so now won't go on the larger barb on the cover.
Posted 18th Apr 2017 at 21:31
miki4

Regular

Post #2
I don't know the differences between those ports on the inner side of the rocker cover but I'm curious to know them and which pipe is supposed to go where. Always thought they were both equal openings.

As for your hardened pipe problem...(lol) have you tried to swap it over when the car is fully warmed up? Leave it standing fully warmed up for about 10 minutes with closed bonnet, then the pipe will warm up too and should be flexible again.
Posted 19th Apr 2017 at 00:25
deeturbo

Regular

Post #3
The port on the gearbox side is larger (18mm and the other is 14mm I think I read). I took the top part of the pipe off, from the T piece and put part of it in boiling hot water to try softening it but it didn't work. It has now started to split so I'm thinking it I cut the squashed end off it might go on.

I'm not sure weather to give this a go now as I'm away and if it doesn't work I'll be stuck lol but I'd like it right for the drive home.
Posted 19th Apr 2017 at 09:39
miki4

Regular

Post #4
That's weird. Mine was built in Jan 2000 and it gets soft when the engine compartment is warmed up. Is yours older? Maybe they used a different quality pipe and the softener already evaporized. Haven't tried it myself but you could try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eTF6tnYYdc
Posted 19th Apr 2017 at 17:19