displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Anyone used AP Coilovers
fast_eddie

Regular

Post #1
http://www.apcoilovers.com/ap_coilover_details.php?id=137

Looking at these in place of the B12 kit but looking at advice from you guys please?
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 11:54
rikky 🦔

Post #2
i seem to remember phillipm saying a lot of the parts from them came from another big brand so they should be s**t-hot. i was going to buy them for my 306 but ended up selling it. heard nothing but praise

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 12:37
miki4

Regular

Post #3
Their logistics centre is next to the KW factory. Same as DTS. Could be, it's the old KW V1 setup.
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 12:46
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #4
Eddie I have some used fronts that will be available cheap in the coming days if you're after a set? Appear to be in decent nick - certainly good working condition.

The car I bought had them on already. Appear to work pretty good to be fair but I had some Bilstein Coilovers all ready which I had planned to use, so the AP's are surplus to requirements.

I haven't looked at the rears, but I don't think they're matching AP units.

Cheers
Iain
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 13:44
farleyd53

Junior User

Post #5
I cannot speak for direct use on a 306 however I did have them on an Audi S4. They were very crashy and not forgiving on the road, suffering mainly with the front with bump steer. I swapped them out for a B12 kit and was much happier. The anti corrosion coating was far from the best however this might of changed since then. All depends on use and personal preference, they are infact a rebranded KW V1, so for the price definatley worth a shot.
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 16:15
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #6
I don't think bump steer is something that relates to the performance of suspension unit itself mate; more a function of lowering it knackering your geometry.
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 16:46
farleyd53

Junior User

Post #7
I understand where you are coming from however this was a back to back test with new bushes front to rear and full four wheel alignment. Track rod height is adjustable (although very limited) on the B5 platform and was adjusted to near as per to account for 10mm difference in ride height between to two setups. Again all this is of little use as it relates to an Audi S4, i do not doubt the performance or capability just commenting on how the car handled between the 2 setups as per my experience. For the price and fact they are relabelled KW's i would say theyre worth a punt, they have a huge following in the VAG community especially on the lighter hatchbacks. Thumbs up
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 20:21
barrym

Senior User

Post #8
I paid more than that for my previously enjoyed KW V1 innox. Gave £375 for them with 2000 miles on them, albeit with top mounts, bearings and droplinks of the same mileage.

Got to say I am massively impressed with them. I would snap them up at that price new

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 23:18
miki4

Regular

Post #9
They aren't innox afaik so will probably look my old KW V1 sometime (the damper unit).

Posted 21st Mar 2017 at 23:32
fast_eddie

Regular

Post #10
Fantastic response thank you!
I have made up my mind now and I am going to go with a new B12 kit.
My car will be a daily (fast road) driver, with potentially the odd track day chucked in through the year however, I need some (lots of) compliance for bumpy rutted Yorkshire roads, where I can see a few of the other suspension kits run out of control!
From what I have read, the B12 combo should suit the above.

Thanks again chaps
Posted 22nd Mar 2017 at 00:07
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Great setup for what you want Thumbs up
Posted 22nd Mar 2017 at 07:44
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
RallyeRed how much do you want for the APs?

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 22nd Mar 2017 at 15:46
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #13
£80 for the fronts only.
PM if interested, although I think this thread is now coming to a close (!)
I'll take some pics in a few days. I don't think it will include the OEM rubber top mounts (need to have a closer look what's fitted) but otherwise they're in good nick and good to go.
Cheers
Iain
Posted 22nd Mar 2017 at 16:26
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I had AP coilovers on mine for a couple of months. I couldn't stand them. Bump steer, p**s poor damping in general. I swapped out for the Spax RSX. So much better.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 26th Mar 2017 at 18:43
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #15
bump steer is not the damper, that's poor geometry.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Mar 2017 at 19:53