Thought it was high time I offered up a thread of my car.
My previous red rallye went to a new owner, who came to buy the engine as I was breaking it but took the whole car and is doing a great job of bringing it back to life.
I had been gathering parts with a throttle bodied maxi build in mind on the Rallye, when a week or two after discovering the heater matrix was leaking, was presented with a good deal on a GTI6 that had already had considerable work done, with a folder full of receipts and evidence. So I bought that one for the base of my project.
What am I aiming for? Well, a cup/trophy style road going car I can use for sprints and fast road, whilst retaining some creature comforts and not going balls out for roll cages, losing carpet and sound deadening etc. Iím thinking if Peugeot had to sell a maxi road car to homologate it (like they did in the group B days) this is roughly where they might have ended up.
In brief itís had an engine rebuild with forged rods and pistons, a PT82 cam, head work, Jenveys on Satchell style inlet but retaining original fuel rail. Running an Omex 600, and lots of receipts for mapping etc. Running a decat and maniflow mid section back. Along with lots of other bits and bobs (uprated bushes etc etc) convinced me this was a good place to start.
First port of call was to see Chris at EFI parts in Runcorn. Heís an ace mapper I have used in the past and a thoroughly good bloke to boot. I asked him to focus on cold start and idle which needed sorting, and left it with him for the week. I was as surprised as you like when he reported power and torque gains everywhere, plus the cold start and idle fully sorted. Only charged £200 too. He reported that the map looked great; lots of detail and care and attention, but didnít actually appear to match the engine.. Far be it for me to suggest that the original mapper used another map from a different build.. ahem.. Anyway, rich low revs, and lean high revs sorted, and an extra 10bhp left me 205bhp. Nice.
So I shanít bore you with all the little details on my ever expanding collection of car parts. Iíve been building up a nice parts haul ready to lift into position when the time is right, so I can expand on those further down the line.
One of the big things with a maxi build is sorting out the front end, and the wishbones in particular. I came across an old school hot rod builder called Alan in the wilds of Norfolk doing his thing with tubular wishbones and reckoned that was just what I needed, and he looked good value too.
A quick chat later and a new wishbone and ball joint was on itís way to him, along with Ryan taking up a decent subframe for Alan to jig up. Iím not joking within a week heíd sent me mock up pics of the arms, and in less than another week they were in my hands looking amazing.
Now all you T45 and Aurora rose joint freaks can look away now. I donít doubt the quality of stuff like that, but Alan has a proven track record in hot rod chassis for decades, and knows what heís doing, and is exceptional value. I've said all along this stuff shouldn't be costing a small fortune, so hopefully this shows what can be done. Rose joints can be replaced at any time, and you know what, if you were unlucky enough to bend an arm, youíd have a replacement within a couple of weeks max and it would cost very little. As I helped Alan with parts to get him jigging up etc I got a great deal, but these are already on the bay at £380 a set.
I seam welded the subframe (messy jo and zinc primered and painted it. I have mocked up in a matter of moments the wishbones just because I was curious, and they look fantastic to my eyes.
The proof will be in the pudding of course, so time will tell. I also need to sort front ARB drop link mounts so still have that to consider. Iíll feedback to Alan in due course so he can incorporate the solution in future.
Driveshafts are away next week to be assessed for lengthening. Alanís also doing to Track rod arm extensions, and Iíll choose between oem TREís or rose joints to fit to those.
Allan at Bridgecraft will do my rear trailing arm spacers Ė as soon as I can get my TBís to part company with the beam so I can pull it apart (what fun).
Kevlar seat and steering wheel is already in.
My wheel and tire collection is rapidly expanding. Oh and on the front brakes I have some Megane Bremboís, and Cossie 4x4 330x28mm bells and rotors and my brother is sorting adapters for me. Heís already done the centre bore of the bells to 65.1, but I discovered the hubs are a bit shouldery if thatís a word, so need to bore the bells out a bit more to get them sitting well.
So once, driveshafts are back, I have this idea that I can get the car up on axle stands, swap the current subframe and rack out and stick the new one (and xsara rack I have) straight in and Bobís your uncle. Time will tell.
Bodywork is all in hand, so hopefully in the next month or two I can report more progress. Youíll know when I get cracking because Iíll be trying to sell of my oem wings, bumpers, wheels, brakes etc etc!
Cheers for now