displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: Earthing problem?
DanRM

Regular

Post #1
Hi all, I've had my gti6 stood up since the end of November, been starting it every couple of weeks but not moving it due to not insurance, When I came to start it last week the cooling fan came on within a couple of minutes and the lights would all flicker before eventually it cuts out. Cleaned up the battery terminals and that sorted the lights and the fan then only stayed on low. I changed the fan switch on the thermostat housing and cleaned the connector, no luck fan is still on before the temp gets up to 70*. I took it for a drive and the speedo doesnt work either. Other than that and the fan running it drove ok.

Cleaned off the gear box earth leads with a wire brush and still had the problems but it also started misfiring, today I've got them back off cleaned them up shiny with emery cloth along with the terminals, and checked did the same to the gearbox bolt checking the cable.

Now I've put it together again I've still got the misfire and no speedo but now this time the cooling fan didn't come on straight away. But the handbrake warning light and the Abs light? (the skidding one) are stuck on even after driving it up the road at about 30mph

Anyone know what's going on or what I've done to be creating more problems?

Cheers
Posted 26th Feb 2017 at 12:30
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Hard to diagnose, could be earthing as you suggest, or perhaps the battery/alternator are below par. Something to do with low voltage perhaps. There are earths at the front of the engine bay on either side of the inner wings which might benefit from being cleaned as well. Could be a lot of things, dampness from being stored outside etc. Old electrics are more prone to damp exacerbated by voltage drop through corroded connections etc.

When I did loads of work on mine 4 years ago I did find that the car behaved strangely if it had not been used for a couple of months, especially if outside. Mine sat on axle stands on the drive as the garage wasn't big enough to work on it.

Once you get it insured, I would take it for a really good drive and properly get it up to operating temp, you might well find things sorts themselves out. Cars are meant to be driven.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 26th Feb 2017 at 15:12
DanRM

Regular

Post #3
Cheers for the reply, I've managed to sort the abs light, the fuse looked in tact but swapped it with another and the lights now go out. I will check those other 2 points next. Is theres any chance the faulty speedo is messing with the electrics?
Posted 26th Feb 2017 at 15:17
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I don't know as I'm not an electrical expert, more of a trial and error type of guy. But even slightly low voltage can mess with things, and can be cumulative, so doing one thing may not fix but doing several things can. Previously I've also disconnected battery, pulled all the fuses one by one, sprayed some WD40 or similar and pushed them back in again as this helps clean the contacts.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 26th Feb 2017 at 19:55