displaying posts 1 to 16 of 16

Author Subject: Mpg on track
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
interested to see what mpg people get on track? I.e how much fuel do you get through on a average trackday?

Reason I ask is I acquired a small fuel tank (around 25litres at a guess) but most importantly main reason is it comes with a internal swirl pot with etc so a nice neat fuel surge solution. Trouble is looking at it I'm slightly concerned as to whether it'll be big enough and if il have to be constantly filling it up.
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 21:00
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Mine usually returns around 8mpg, when n/a it was around 12mpg.
I'll easily go through £100-£150 in fuel at a trackday.

You'll probably be alright with that tank if you don't mind refilling it after every session, it's not much to go by but i usually go and use 1/4 of a tank before bringing the car back in to cool down.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 21:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
really depends how good the mapper is, and the circuit, gearing, how much grip you have!

25 litres isn't that small however, only half size, 5 gallons, so even at 10mpg that's 50 miles, roughly 27 laps of castle combe.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 21:11
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I do suffer from surge, so far been combatted by keeping it above half. I snapped this tank up ages ago and tbh forgot I had it till I got the Christmas decs down earlier lol. I'll dummy fill it to see exactly what it holds as suppose could just get a extra 20ltr jerry can. Other than that I'll have to get a separate swirl pot set up at many £££'s
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 21:34
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I use about 110 litres per track day at cadwell i did about 60 or so laps

Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 21:36
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
5.38mpg if you did 60 laps.

LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 22:08
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
If this tank is half the size of a full tank, and you always top up your full tank before it drops below half full, isn't that then an approximately similar number of times filling it up in a given day?

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 22:08
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
It's all guess work at the min as need to measure the actual size of new tank and my original tank sender is dodgy + looking to do more time on track, but yes logically it does seem like it would be ok. More interested to see how much fuel the more seasoned Trackday goer on here go through to gauge what I could need as I see you can legally carry 60ltr in cans in a car so roughly I should be able to get to a day with 80ltr or so in total so should bd adequate enough.
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 22:15
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
Cheers mei. She is a thursty bugger

Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 22:16
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
blandy wrote:
I do suffer from surge, so far been combatted by keeping it above half. I snapped this tank up ages ago and tbh forgot I had it till I got the Christmas decs down earlier lol. I'll dummy fill it to see exactly what it holds as suppose could just get a extra 20ltr jerry can. Other than that I'll have to get a separate swirl pot set up at many £££'s

Torques designed for a 306 - swirl pot with a built in Pump all in one for under the bonnet ....looked great ...it was in test stage 9months ago ?

I'm playing with & thinking about taking the Plastic huge tank out next year & getting a Alloy Baffled tank with swirl pot made & built in pump made & cutting in the floor and hole behind the passenger seat & sinking it down low into the floor ...similar to what Satchell has done many times & others also Whistle
I'll see not 100% sure yet ?

I go through 130-140 litres of shell V power for a day at Combe which is a fast track ....as Mei said loads of things change everything
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 22:39
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Lol yes I'm not nieve enough to think they will all use the same as yes I also appreciate yours and fatlapit cars will use more fuel than me - my car is small fry in comparison. I think I'll just give it a go as need to buy a intank pump for it and that's it so gotta be worth a try
Posted 13th Dec 2016 at 06:50
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
blandy wrote:
Lol yes I'm not nieve enough to think they will all use the same as yes I also appreciate yours and fatlapit cars will use more fuel than me - my car is small fry in comparison. I think I'll just give it a go as need to buy a intank pump for it and that's it so gotta be worth a try

Are you planning on modifying your car more for track then ?....or just using this temp ?.....mines useless on the road now & im not even planning on Taxing it or getting Mot anymore as it stands .....
Posted 13th Dec 2016 at 07:48
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
My car is track only anyhow as i have a trailer for it so never bother to mot it etc. Have never driven the 205 on the road, i don't think id want to tbh as fully stripped, no heater and noisy so wouldn't make for a good daily
Posted 13th Dec 2016 at 14:45
rikky 🦔

Post #14
welshpug! wrote:

LOL

my m3 evo coupe does that ticking over LOL

306 rallye reproduction decals (full sets/individual decals) | 306 b-pillar textured vinyl weatherstrips
306 slam panel esso stickers | 306 yellow / orange / pension fund red side door badges
gti6 inlet manifold badges | 306 rear boot badges (p2/p3)
winner of Extraction of toys from prams with outstanding vigour award 2009 [source: gti6 owners club]
Posted 13th Dec 2016 at 15:04
heliosphan

Senior User

Post #15
rikky wrote:
welshpug! wrote:

LOL

my m3 evo coupe does that ticking over LOL

Negative. Unless you're rolling down a hill excruciatingly slowly in neutral, your M3 does 0mpg ticking over. LOL
Posted 14th Dec 2016 at 10:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #16
if it was a GM product the gauge would switch to GPH, gallons per hour LOL

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 14th Dec 2016 at 11:24