displaying posts 1 to 21 of 21

Author Subject: My first 6
sg27

Post #1
Had been looking for a Clio 1*2 to do some trackdays and possibly some sprints/hillclimb for a while now (I live a few miles from Harewood). Have done a bit of racing in the past in an old XR2 (up against some fast 205s) and getting the urge to go do something competitive again!

This '6' came up for sale pretty much on my doorstep, with a car full of spare parts, including an engine, ancillaries etc, with a substantial amount of change from a grand, so I bought it. Don't really know a lot about the cars, but everyone I know that's owned one has rated it, so I'm looking forward to getting to know them a lot better!

It's a little bit sorry for itself at the moment, there's some electrical gremlins, the brakes are shocking, suspension doesn't feel right, but it's a good base for a project for winter/2017/this decade. Will try to keep this updated as I progress and I'm sure I'll be asking for lots of advice in the near future.

[Excuse the rear ride height, the spare engine is sat over the rear end.]
Posted 28th May 2017 at 22:26
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Welcome, and good luck with the car. Lots of expertise on here. Use the search function and check out the FAQs.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 11th Dec 2016 at 07:32
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Welcome along, once you've git it behaving correctly you will see yourself why people love them, great cars.

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 11th Dec 2016 at 10:19
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #4
Welcome along Wave

Car looks to be in lovely shape from the picture.

Best thing you can do with these cars is sure all the suspension is in good shape and strip it out to lose some weight

Enjoy it bud Thumbs up
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 10:06
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #5
Your gonna be glad you bought it they are great fun to drive!

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 11th Dec 2016 at 11:58
peder_306

Regular

Post #6
Do you know if the previous owner renovated the rearaxle?
If not, do it it will make a big difference.

Change to a open airfilter, the engine will roar like a Lion Wink

Nice car!

Peugeot 306 Dimma Coupé.
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 09:02
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Welcome looks very tidy & plenty of great Projects & knowledge on here to keep you busy for Years Whistle
How deeps your wallet & how flexibles your card ?

I've a Silver 6 also & bought it 3years ago for £700 & have gone to the Dark side well & truly ....its well over £20k spent on it now....stupid but I've enjoyed every minute of spending & working on it Thumbs up
My car handling & pace shocks plenty ....Amazing cars Big grin

You don't need to spend thousands to have great fun though LOL
Posted 12th Dec 2016 at 14:07
sg27

Post #8
peder_306 wrote:
Do you know if the previous owner renovated the rearaxle?

I haven't had a good look at it yet, but from what I've seen and how the suspension feels, I'm guessing not. Is there anywhere recommended that will do them on an exchange basis? Or is it fairly straightforward DIY?
Posted 14th Dec 2016 at 18:51
sg27

Post #9
Day666 wrote:
Welcome looks very tidy & plenty of great Projects & knowledge on here to keep you busy for Years Whistle
How deeps your wallet & how flexibles your card ?

Wallet isn't very deep at all sadly, going to get the suspension freshened up first, especially if I decide to do some hillclimb/trackdays.
Posted 14th Dec 2016 at 18:54
deeturbo

Regular

Post #10
sg27 wrote:

I haven't had a good look at it yet, but from what I've seen and how the suspension feels, I'm guessing not. Is there anywhere recommended that will do them on an exchange basis? Or is it fairly straightforward DIY?

You need a press to get them apart. I've fixed a couple of them and they can be a pain to do.

You could try this guy.
http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=146717
Posted 15th Dec 2016 at 19:45
jord294

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
Happy to help with a no frills rebuilt axle if you like

FRESHLY RE-FURBISHED GTI BEAMS
FITTING AND LOWERING AVAILABLE.
ALL AXLES BUILT USING GENUINE PEUGEOT PARTS

IF I'M NOT HERE, IT ONLY MEANS ONE THING.... I'M SOMEWHERE ELSE!
Posted 15th Dec 2016 at 20:36
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
jord294 wrote:
Happy to help with a no frills rebuilt axle if you like

+1 for Andy
I run a Jord294 axle & it doesn't come any better & is a work of art Big grin
Posted 15th Dec 2016 at 22:27
fast_eddie

Regular

Post #13
Welcome--Im only in Bradford and have 2 6s in various states of strip and reshell if you ever need to chat!
Dont forget to check the chassis for the dreaded rot! Caught me out earlier this year.

One of my very good friends has been Harewood Hillclimb Champion before and is still competing now after a bit of break..

Good luck

Jon
Posted 16th Dec 2016 at 01:44
sg27

Post #14
fast_eddie wrote:
Welcome--Im only in Bradford and have 2 6s in various states of strip and reshell if you ever need to chat!

Thanks Jon, appreciated!

Will also bear in mind the above when it comes to axle refurb time.
Posted 16th Dec 2016 at 21:44
gretsch-drummer

Regular

Post #15
Did you buy this from a young lad in Hampsthwaite?

Ph1 Cossack 6'
Posted 16th Dec 2016 at 23:21
sg27

Post #16
gretsch-drummer wrote:
Did you buy this from a young lad in Hampsthwaite?

Someone from Harrogate, has it got some sort of sordid past? The deeper I look into it, the more work I can see it needs! That's what projects are for though, right?
Posted 24th Dec 2016 at 21:56
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Is this the one that needed a gearbox buddy ?

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 24th Dec 2016 at 22:47
sg27

Post #18
pug_306 wrote:
Is this the one that needed a gearbox buddy ?

Gearbox is ok, needs pretty much everything else though!
Posted 25th Dec 2016 at 13:13
sg27

Post #19
Had a bit of time off work in December for some religious holiday or whatever, so wasted no time in having a look around the car to see what was good and what wasn't so good. It mostly wasn't so good. MOT history showed it had been off the road for a considerable time, it passed its most recent MOT with no advisories which is always a worrying sign, especially when the seller works at the garage where the MOT was done...

Quickly realised that the first thing that needed my attention was the rear beam - it was hanging (in both senses of the word). Pig of a job to do, every bolt was seized and rounded, so cut just about everything off, including the brake pipes which were about as porous as Spongebob Squarepants.

Looking at the state of the braking system next it was all awful too. I only have a handheld brake flaring tool, so didn't fancy making up hundreds of pipes - after a quick check of the regulations I started ripping out everything in the braking system - pipes, flexi, compensator, ABS, loom, the lot. Refurbished rear beam turned up along with some adjustable and firmer rear dampers.

and got those installed which was easier than I thought considering I was on my own. Also added near rear hubs, discs & pads with some braided hoses..

Posted 28th May 2017 at 22:22
sg27

Post #20
Car now passed the shoe test..

and it was time to start on the front - this is where things got interesting. I was sure that if every bolt at the rear was seized and rounded, then the front would be just as bad. I was wrong - every fastener at the front had been undone recently and was hand tight. After I jacked the front up, the damper near enough fell out of the hub. Had the front corner apart in no time to run the new brake pipes and fit some very second-hand Spax coilovers. I think these will be sprung too softly for hillclimbing, but I'm not sure, so going to run them for now and see - will probably upgrade to Gaz Gold fronts when I've got a few events / trackdays under my belt. The driveshaft fell out too when the front end disintegrated.

The nearside came off in one piece which was handy.

Dampers have seen better days..

That's about where I'm up to today, other than fitting a suede steering wheel and messing about with seats and seat positions, which are horribly high if you want off-the-shelf fitment. Nearly done with the mechanical bits, then onto the interior and electrics. Might try to make it look a bit prettier at some point, but looks don't make a car fast! Current plan is to get out for the last round of the season in September, but we'll see!
Posted 28th May 2017 at 22:24
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
Welcome along bud. Those pics look quite small so a little tip... open up a Photobucket account. Upload the pics to there, then just copy the pic link and paste it here Thumbs up

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 28th May 2017 at 23:46