displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Yet another 6 Project...
thewho07

Regular

Post #1
Hi everyone. I've bought myself another 6 not long after selling my bianca one (project rust bucket). I decided I needed another project to keep me busy through the winter. This Astor popped up on Facebook (thanks to bigbadbowen), I took a risk and decided to buy it. A quick call to Carl Chambers who was selling it and the deal was done. It was 400 miles south from me and I just didn't have time to go down and inspect/buy it so I got it delivered up to Scotland. Very happy with it. I was sold as soon as I seen it was a bog standard Astor with FSH and wasn't too high on mileage - 107k. The fact the timing belt had just been done, had 4 new tyres, alloys were good, and bodywork was decent gave me good reason to go for it. It's difficult to find a clean standard one nowadays so I was happy when I seen this.

I plan to strip it back and treat any rust that's underneath and restore parts as I go, similar to my last project (this one will be getting kept though). Will update as much as I can although progress may be slow as I'll only have time to work on it once a week. Anyone on here had this car or know who's had it? - would be interesting to know. Thanks!

free photo upload
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 11:50
mik

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Good stuff and look forward to seeing updates on this. Astor is a nice colour too.

Cherry Rallye SOLD

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 20:17
gbryn

Regular

Post #3
Ideal project car! Nice standard example.
Good find, Keep us posted!
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 20:39
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Looks cracking. 1 of 60. Smile

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 10:09
alcon

Senior User

Post #5
thewho07 wrote:
I plan to strip it back and treat any rust that's underneath and restore parts as I go

What is your plan for tackling the rust on the underside?....process for removal, treatment and finish etc. I only ask as I'm about to get up to my elbows doing my rallye very shortly and still not sure on my own process. Read so many opinions on here over the years but now need to start getting the materials etc bought so that I can crack on with it very soon.

Are you down in the Borders?

1999 GTi-6 (china blue)
1999 Rallye (black)
Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 21:12
thewho07

Regular

Post #6
Yes I'm In the Borders just now but moving through to live in Prestwick in the next few months due to a change in job. I just read through lots of project threads and got ideas from there. It's a lot more work than it looks if you want to do it properly. Spend time taking it right back to the metal, I used deox gel on the rusty parts - it's time consuming but it makes a good job. Paint wise I used Rust bullet then underbody seal on top of that. If I was doing it again I wouldn't bother with rust bullet and just used an underbody seal. Best advice I can give is take your time removing all of the rust. I spent a few weeks removing the rust alone, and could have spent another few if I'd wanted to. I spent days wire brushing and grinding lying on my back!
Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 21:32