displaying posts 26 to 50 of 56

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: Oil cooler
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
There isn't but thanks all the same Smile. My post was to advise the bloke on my experience, so he has a more well rounded opinion on what to do with his. Mine is fantastic but thank you for your concern Wink. It can happily do, up to an hour around Cadwell (anymore my arms are f**ked and I need a drink) without issue. The only thing it suffers from is heavy tyre wear and pads which it obviously will. Oil wise, mine runs Fuchs pro s 10w50, there isn't an oil better for tracking a GTI which is still NA - over engineering and more than up to the job.

Yes, I could of p**sed around for eternity and increased size time and time again but why bother. A 30 of sufficient width and thickness etc will withstand the abuse thrown at it or in my case the 2 x 19's. I have an alloy rad, slim fans, fantastic airflow and optimum positioning of my coolers. The car has no issues. Again, I'm not going to accuse anybody of lieing but I have serious doubt that over 3 vehicles (more if you count the other GTIs played with etc) that in anyway shape or form it can be my car Dunno. What ever works for you, if it works great don't change it.
I'd like to see it for myself, that a 306, with a 19 row especially with forced induction, can do a 'decent' session around a circuit in normal air temps and the oil not be above the temp where the oil is degrading.

I remember going in Birks when it was HB and the oil was at 140+ within a single lap with just one 16 row mocal.
Steve (Prism7guy) has encountered the exact same thing, with the exact same findings. We must just be unlucky with all our cars Steve. Can't win em all..

Team Astor Grey Supercharged GTI 6

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 13:00
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Yeah, I think it's best that we all just agree to disagree.
I'd genuinely like to see a picture of somebodies car with a 13 or 16 row cooler that has no temperature issues backed up with an in car video of it on a track.
I give my car death on track and until I went over the top with coolers the oil was always very quick to get to 120+c.

To the guy who started this thread, feel free to have a look through my project thread and see what I've done and what issues ive had, I'm pretty open about it all. By the sounds of it Damien has high temps too and I know he gives his car death on track too, so there does seem to be a bit of a trend forming.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 13:02
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
Eloquently put Steve. I'm in agreeance with the video and temp photo idea but let's face it nobody will actually bother... LOL If anyone does down the line, please put a link to it on here and I will eat my words Thumbs up (and no a 10 minute session at French car show or the like doesn't count..) but thinking about it as I write.. after a few cool down laps, my oil did used to come back down a decent amount by the time I was back in the pits. So there is no real way to do it.

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 13:12
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #29
I don't have an oil temp gauge any more or I'd post a graph of the data but I never realised it was such a big problem for other people.

Out of interest, would a forced induction car running similar power to an N/A car have higher oil temps?

Rallye Race Car
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 14:04
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
No not necessarily. The key is having a cooling system to suffice it's needs, whatever the setup. Turbo'd cars, as I'm sure you're fully aware of, can suffer from hotspots - the turbo, manifolds and exhaust etc. Additionally the heat generated, isn't radiated away from the engine/engine bay as fast in a turbo'd car oppose to a NA set up, obviously.
Running in continuous air flow, with sufficient cooling set ups, they both would be fine and the differences negligible, I'd expect.

I referred to wanting to see a forced induction GTI 6, running only a singular 16/19 row cooler and maintain safe oil temp - because typically (when dealing with 306's - excusing some of the cracking NA race setups) they will have a higher power output and an increased load, thus higher temp.

Anyway, like I said I just wanted to share my experience regarding cooling my 306. If you're still reading this, I hope whatvever setup you opt for, it is sufficient for your car and purpose, Smile.

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 14:32
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #31
what is your 306?!

there must be something about the way you've modified it that makes it run so hot.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 19:01
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #32
Id try a better oil

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 19:26
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #33
Oops.... I forgot to mention something important ...Yes I'm running Semi Mobil 1 oil but I'm running a Accsump that pumps cool oil into my engine when oil pressure drops on Gforce bends ....and it also pre-Lubes the engine before starting it ...every little helps as they say LOL

Must admit I really didn't think oil temp of 120- 125 is ultra high after 45mins of flat out running with a Full race engine Whistle
My water temp always stays around 85-90 fans set to keep kick in at 95
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 19:49
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
115 is the target for my oil

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 20:33
jeffers Forum Admin

Post #35
Chris, out of interest why a target of 115?? Surely you mean limit? At 120 oil is borderline shearing and breaking down to its base components so why would you want a target so close to the oils breaking limit?

Team Running Engine again!
Team Negative Camber!
My Budget track engine build thread!
Now appearing at a Trackday near you!!Hyper Hyper
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 23:54
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Its what rp told me 110 to 115 is my target temp. Also its well withing the tolerance of the oil breaking down. The limit is 130 with rp.

And if 120 is true then all the lads above need to look at what they can do to improve their systems

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 09:38
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #37
My 13 row was running at 125° at Brandshatch which wasn't ideal so the oil was dropped out and changed. I've since fitted a 16row so when it's next on track hopefully that'll be better.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 10:16
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #38
rwgti wrote:
Eloquently put Steve. I'm in agreeance with the video and temp photo idea but let's face it nobody will actually bother... LOL If anyone does down the line, please put a link to it on here and I will eat my words Thumbs up (and no a 10 minute session at French car show or the like doesn't count..) but thinking about it as I write.. after a few cool down laps, my oil did used to come back down a decent amount by the time I was back in the pits. So there is no real way to do it.

Why does a session at French Car Show not count?
I've done many a session at FCS (lasting 20 mins) and had no problem with oil temp AFTER I fitted a 19-row cooler.
A 13-row wasn't man enough for the job to be honest, was seeing 120c, but with the 19-row it sits at 100c even giving it a hard time.

Also, this business of your oil going up when in traffic? Never had this AT ALL, and neither should you.
I think you need to try a different oil, different placement of the cooler and perhaps check out any other issues.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 10:32
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #39
Just looked into the oils out of interest and for millers 10w50 fully synthetic it states

Application
Use for competition, modified and high performance engines. Suitable for all normally aspirated and turbo-charged engines from 2 litres upwards. CFS 10w50 is especially suited to modified, high performance vehicles, with or without turbochargers, for fast road and track day use. Suitable for operating at 125°C with peak temperatures up to 150°C.
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 10:33
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
jeffers wrote:
Chris, out of interest why a target of 115?? Surely you mean limit? At 120 oil is borderline shearing and breaking down to its base components so why would you want a target so close to the oils breaking limit?

Exactly. Your optimum operating temperature, generally speaking is 85 ish - 100 ish. Yes, there may be oils that can allegedly operate at higher than 120 but it doesn't mean whilst they are operating at said temperatures - they're not degrading and with repeated use without changing it, won't have a detrimental effect on your engine over time. Additionally if you're getting up to 110-120ish and changing it regularly after trackdays, again it's fine.

Stan, I stated 10 minutes not 20, I wasn't having a dig at FCS. I had a great time there a few years ago (2009,2010) with you and Lee when it was at Rockingham. The reason I stated that it asn't the best to use as an example, is due to the sessions CAN get hugely bunched up! Reaching nowhere near usual pace for the circuit, plus generally (or a least they used to be shorter sessions).

Like I said my car is fine. The last thing I want is advice on my setup but thanks anyway. It can do hard, abusive 45 minute sessions in Summer and have the oil sit between 90-100 consistently and I still drop the oil after every two track days.

And anybody saying they have never had issues in traffic, bulls**t LOL

Drive it, get it warm, leave it stood without the fans on prior, thus allowing the coolant to go up to its safety trip of 107, before it kicks in. Repeat. Do this whilst in warm air temps, in stagnant traffic, over a period of 15/20 minutes and your oil will go up as well as coolant. It's a very primitive design but it is 20 years old after all! This is obviously irrelevant to an extent because you can click the fans on manually to prevent this.

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 11:15
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
so many people on here using semi synthetic. I've always ran fully synthetic

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 11:19
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
manthos wrote:
so many people on here using semi synthetic. I've always ran fully synthetic

For me ..It's because of the price different & I change oil & oil filter Gen Peougeot after every two track days ....synthetic oil is also designed for longer oil changes that I don't need ...
Semi is so good technology nowadays and even for High performance N/A Engines ...no need Thumbs up

If anybody on here is happy with there setup ...who am I to tell them any different LOL ....I'm much more concerned how mine is Thumbs up
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 11:52
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #43
I change mine every couple of thousand on road use and next year when I'm doing lots of track days I'll also change every 2 track days Its so cheap to do so why not is what I say looks after it. However I've still always used fully synthetic just because I was told fully is best. is that right?

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 13:01
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #44
107?!

my coolant never goes over 94!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 15:23
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
107 is when the fans kick in at high speed, 97 when they kick in at half speed as far as I remember.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 15:44
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #46
Id s**t myself if mine got near 100

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 15:46
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #47
My oil does not go up and down in traffic. It just sits just under 90. The coolent should never go above 97 as that's where the fans cut in.
I've been driving these since 2004 and I never have much trouble in traffic.
My AC works so when I hit traffic I turn it on and the coolent never goes up above 90.

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 16:25
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #48
How come engine temp seems to be up and down allot depending on driving eg 70 motorway, 90-100 traffic but oil temp just sits at around 90 all the time? This is just normal driving

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 17:11
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #49
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
How come engine temp seems to be up and down allot depending on driving eg 70 motorway, 90-100 traffic but oil temp just sits at around 90 all the time? This is just normal driving

This is due to the fact that coolant has better thermal conductivity than oil so when it starts to get hot, the coolant allows the transfer of heat quicker.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 18:31
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #50
You want your bulk oil temperatures around 100-120*c on track if you're running decent oils, any lower and your anti-wear and friction-reducers won't work properly.

You do need a serious size cooler for sustained outputs though. The one on the buggy is about half the size of a radiator, it came off a 600hp tractor unit LOL

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 26th Nov 2016 at 18:43

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3