displaying posts 1 to 25 of 56

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: Oil cooler
stevec33

Post #1
Ive recently brought a 306 gti6 track car and have been advised to fit an oil cooler, the car is standard engine wise. What size oil cooler is best suited for it? Ive seen a few kits on ebay and you can get 13/16 or 19 row. Thanks
Posted 19th Nov 2016 at 21:54
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
16 if you want to do full days and it will be ready for if you do any modifications. 13 is ok for standard but 19 is overkill

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 19th Nov 2016 at 23:28
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Personal experience dictates that bigger is better. Not everyone agrees with me on this but if you fit a thermostatic take off plate it all gets regulated by that so you can't overcool the oil, might aswell go oversize and protect yourself if you ever decide to go chasing more power.
I have a 30 row cooler on mine and a laminova and my oil will still hit 125c on a trackday, granted I am now supercharged but my oil has always run hot on both my cars on track.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 00:15
phillipm

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
That's because it overheats from lack of airflow by the time you manage to shut the bonnet.

- Bespoke rollcages/additions/adjustments. Half cages right up to complete custom spaceframes - MSA/FIA spec, CDS, ROPT, T45, etc - PM me
Email me!
Custom-made polybushes available - need an odd size or fitment? - anything from batch work to one-off pieces.
Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 01:04
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
I'd also consider changing the oil make and type

Nothing to see here
Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 08:19
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Ive got a 19 row 235 sits at 100 all day long and thats on a turbo car. Plenty airflow to and past is essential. Plus decent oil like royal purple etc.

Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 09:42
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Also if your cooling system is w**k the oil will naturally get hotter too so look at that aswell

Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 09:42
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #8
fatlapit wrote:
Ive got a 19 row 235 sits at 100 all day long and thats on a turbo car. Plenty airflow to and past is essential. Plus decent oil like royal purple etc.

Same as that, the max my oil gets on track is 100c, with a 19 row cooler.

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 11:16
stevec33

Post #9
Thanks for the advice, will get one sorted soon for it
Posted 20th Nov 2016 at 19:22
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Depends if you're going to actually drive your track car like a track car, or just turn up and tootle around like you're on the school run. Placement and air flow is obviously key but if you're planning on being able to do proper sessions, the minimum with just standard power is a 30 row or 2 linked 16's.

The only reason people can manage with less is by doing short sessions on track (15/20 minutes)/not driving hard consistently through the entirety of their session.

When I first went down the oil cooling route, I opted for 1 x 16 row Mocal and it used to hit 140 incredibly quickly.

Through trial and failure, I opted to run with 2 x 19s linked and find even with them I can get to 115ish but it gets no higher, which is what you want. You want to be able to drive it until the tyres go off! Additionally run good oil. Just my advice, nothing worse than doing a job and then realising it's useless.

Team Astor Grey Supercharged GTI 6

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:00
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
^^^^^^^^
Seriously you need to look at your cooling system too

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:23
barrym

Senior User

Post #12
That's one hell of a statement to make. So I'm going to make one too, just for fun.

Maybe if you got more airflow by going quicker on your Ring lap you wouldn't have needed a 38 row oil cooler.

China D Turbo HDi daily charger
Black Rallye occassional toy
Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:24
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #13
I haven't edited my profile for years. I only paid my membership back up a few days ago (to purchase a few spares without having to blag Steve or Birk or whoever else to do it for me) and yes since the lap in my tag line from yesteryear, I have indeed lapped the Nordschleife "the ring" quicker. Subsequently, even with the quicker air flow.., I still required the 38 rows of cooling. Shock

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:33
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #14
I do like your car Chris, it generated a tasty show out of the exhaust at Cadwell a few years ago! The flames were huge. Savage under acceleration! Seriuosly though, through 8 years or so of playing with my track car I have no need to lie. Steve also required the same cooling spec when NA on both of his cars when tracked. So over 3 GTI 6's, 30 rows or equivalent were required to cool correctly. Therefore ruling out through the laws of averages one failing cooling system Yes

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:46
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
One reason I didn't renew my membership for the past 3/4 years, is generally people on here like to bend the truth to put it politely... Roll eyes and anyone with any knowledge gets washed away in tidal wave Dunno.

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:51
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
So how come you need 30 and i need 19 and my engine possibly may run alot harder or hotter due to the forced induction??

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 21:52
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Session duration Chris? I noticed you did far shorter stints on circuit when we were there. I would still expect yours to require more but I have no reason to doubt your word. Generally I like to go out for 30-45 minute sessions (mainly due to the hate of queueing back on). I was just putting on my experience, so he had another experienced opinion on the matter to assist his decision. I wish I had of been told this when I did mine first time around Thumbs up

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 22:03
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #18
But surely once everything is up to temperature and it stays at that temperature then the time spent driving is irrelevant to a point. A 20 min stint should generate enough energy to create its working temperature. That temperature should not vary irrespective of operating time. Christ i got black flagged at knockhill for a 45 min stint.

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 22:34
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
I only wanted to know how long a tank of fuel would last

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 22:34
rwgti

Seasoned Pro

Post #20
There are plenty of factors that will effect the oil temp; air temp, speed, air flow and obviously surface area of the cooler(s). If you're in nice clear cool air on a trackday in February, obviously it's going to assist keeping your temps on the lower side. If you're in traffic up and down the gears constantly, on a track day in August and its 30c - it's going to be a lot harder to keep cool. Also I commuted in a GTI 6 for 3 years. They are notoriously s**t at keeping temps down. For eg at the opposite end, in slow moving traffic for example; mine if I didn't remember to click the fans on by pressing the a/c, the coolant used to reach a zillion degrees and the oil used to rocket within minutes. Obviously if I did forget it does have the auto kick in for the fans but if it was a warm day it used to struggle to come back down for ages. They're s**te at cooling.

Like I said Chris you seemed like a knowledgable bloke at Cadwell. So I'm not going to doubt in your instance, you're able to cool yours with just 1 x 19 row. Be grateful Cool, I wish mine did!

Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 23:16
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
My two pence worth Thumbs up
I'm running a 19row with no Thermostat & I have to cover it up with cardboard when driving it to trackdays as it doesn't allow the oil to warm up enough.
When on track for 30-50min trackdays at Combe the temperature reaches around 125 continuously I'm running Semi Synthetic Mobile One I change every other Trackday as it's cheap & always use Gen Peouget Oil Filter that's proved to help oil pressure strangely ?
I've got a decent Alloy Rad & drilled some small holes in the Water Thermostat that allows water flow even when it's closed ....see Sandy Brown / Welshpug reasons for this ...

It's a full N/A race engine by Sandy Brown & ive spaced the rear bonnet hinges up 20mm each side which seemed to help Thumbs up
I've got the oil cooler low down at the middle infront of the Rad ....
Couldn't be happier
PS I rant the pants off mine LOL
Even on super hot days it's 125-127 Max ....I have one huge fan cooling also that's controlled by the DTA ECU so not standard setup
Posted 24th Nov 2016 at 23:30
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
And boy does damien rag it lol. Always puts 110% effort in

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 06:37
3rd time lucky

Seasoned Pro

Post #23
Wow, 38 row sounds a bit extreme. I only run a 16 row on a charged engine but obviously not for as long a thrashing. Mind you, I don't have a temp gauge so I got nothing telling me to stop Smile

DIABLO GTI-6 - Legend - NILE GTI-6 - Sold
CHERRY GTI-6 P1 SUPERCHARGED - Broken up
BLACK RALLYE - Sold
205 Dturbo xud9 work horse - Dead
CHERRY RALLYE - new toy
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 07:59
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #24
Similar to Damien, I only run a 16 row (I think) on the race car and it's fine! If you're running a 38 row oil cooler I think something else is wrong Smile

I guess the type of oil being used also makes a big impact on the temps it'll reach.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 10:50
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #25
got to agree, definitely something wrong with your setup regardless of it being the same over 3 cars.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 25th Nov 2016 at 11:28

Pages (3): [1] 2 3