displaying posts 1 to 7 of 7

Author Subject: Timing map tuning on a slightly modded NA 306 GTi
ogro.uff

Post #1
Mates,

My 306 GTi has a 2,5" exhaust, ported OEM TBi and polished head. Running Iridium 7 plugs 95 oct premium gas. Stock ECU.

Going to install Unichip on it and I'm affraid to advance to much on high rpm's as i did on my xsara VTS. The car simply would not go towards the rev limiter as easy as a standard car.

Any clues of how many degrees can I go forward on middle rpm's and on high end revs?

PS: Not sure if I made myself clear.

Life begins after 200cv... Xsara VTS 2.0 16V: 202,5v
Posted 14th Oct 2016 at 22:32
XS_Jim

Post #2
Not experienced in this field or anything, but to me this points to a well calibrated stock map.
As I assume you are running a slightly rich AFR and have the capacity to deliver that amount of fuel, which you should given the mods.
So as a result, the point of advancing timing in terms of power gain, i thought, was to time MBT to occur just after tdc. however if you are advancing timing and netting less power, perhaps you are advancing it too far.
Realistically the only way to know is to tune on a dyno, whilst monitoring your afr, to see where you are gaining or loosing power respective to tweaks in whichever direction.
Posted 31st Oct 2016 at 12:40
XS_Jim

Post #3
Also you could be encouraging unstable combustion, towards knock, the further you advance.
Posted 31st Oct 2016 at 12:42
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I'd be cautious of advancing the timing without some way of detecting knock, when I had my s40 mapped the mapper put his own knock sensor on the engine which he then had headphones in whilst mapping, he could tell when it was starting to knock and would then back off the timing a little to create a safe zone.
I could have squeezed another 5bhp out of my engine but been on the limit in terms of knock so we decided to retard the timing a little for safety.
I wouldn't personally start playing with the advance without using a rolling road and the proper equipment but each to their own.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 31st Oct 2016 at 16:46
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
As above, advance is a very dangerous thing to be adjusting without the proper equipment. You can make a knock detecting set of headphones fairly easily, there is plenty of guides on the web.

I don't know exact figures but I have been told that the gti-6 ran fairly aggressive advance figures anyway for a production engine, could be bo***cks though.

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 31st Oct 2016 at 19:27
ogro.uff

Post #6
Tks, people. The car will get rr in a couple of weeks.

Life begins after 200cv... Xsara VTS 2.0 16V: 202,5v
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 22:28
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #7
I doubt you will gain much if anything as you haven't made any significant mods yet, get a mild intake cam in there and you can pick up good torque gains and a bit of peak power.

they do tend to run quite rich especially at top end so there is fuel there for it, get a bit more air in.

2.5" is maybe a little too big for a standard engine, though shouldn't hurt it excessively.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 22:51