displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Storage advice
martinh

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
My rallye has been in storage for best part of 2 years but have recently moved it as managed to buy another garage alongside my house so the 205 and 306 have got one each. (Had no issues on the 15 mile drive home)

Don't intend on using it for the foreseeable future (probably 18 months atleast), engine wise I intend to just spin it over by hand occasionally, but is it favourable to chuck it up on axle stands or should I leave weight on the suspension? It's going to get wedged in one corner so won't really be able to roll it back and forward. Just wondered what others do/have done?

Cheers.
Posted 10th Oct 2016 at 17:46
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Message Stan. His has basically been in storage for 8 years...

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 10th Oct 2016 at 18:17
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I'd imagine axle stands would be favourable so you dont get flat spots on the tyres.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 10th Oct 2016 at 19:02
pete_rallye

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Yeah, tyres will flat spot if left in one place for a long time. Bob it up on axle stands to prevent it. Also, I'd take the plugs out but cover the holes loosely with the coil packs, then turn it over on the starter occasionally just to get the oil around. Leave the windows slightly open too to allow air to circulate around the car, will help prevent damp, mold etc

Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 1
Oulton Park in a BTCC 306 vid 2
Lap of the 'ring
Posted 10th Oct 2016 at 19:26
martinh

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Ideal. Thanks for the replies. Will give it a wash this weekend then put it away!
Posted 10th Oct 2016 at 19:40
stan_306gti6 Forum Admin

Post #6
aaron6 wrote:
Message Stan. His has basically been in storage for 8 years...

LOL

It has been used a lot in that time, the only years it wasn't used at all was 2012 and 2014.
But yeah, if you can't at least roll it a foot forwards and back then put it up on stands. Turn the engine over by hand only, otherwise you could tear an oil seal with the torque of the starter if it has got stuck.

Pump the brake pedal, lift the handbrake from time to time.

When you come to start it after a long time in storage, take the plugs out, disconnect the injectors and spin it over to build the oil pressure up without putting excess load on the main bearings. Then, once the oil pressure light goes out put the plugs back in, reconnect the injectors and then fire it up!

"Supercharged - 454.1bhp/317.5lb/ft"
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
2000 (X), Moonstone Love
Posted 10th Oct 2016 at 20:34