displaying posts 1 to 15 of 15

Author Subject: Upper steering column
oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk

Regular

Post #1
Anyone know how to put together an upper steering column?

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 9th Oct 2016 at 17:42

Regular

Post #2
There seems to be very little info on whether the upper steering column bearings can be replaced? Is it possible any chance someone can check service box please? Worried I'm gonna put my replacement one on and have the same issue of play with the shaft within the column.

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 9th Oct 2016 at 19:36
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #3
inner just slides in.

probably can replace the bearings quite easily but they do last wuite a long time and a replacement upper column is easy enough to find cheap

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 9th Oct 2016 at 20:57
miki4

Regular

Post #4
Service box does not list any replacement bearings. Looked that up some time ago. Would be top if someone could take apart a spare steering column and take some pics and measure those bearings, maybe put up a FAQ for a rebuild? Mine has also play in it but I don't have a spare I can dismantle and buying a good one will also only be a temporary solution as it seems to be a common problem.
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 15:05

Regular

Post #5
I swapped them over anyway and luckily the second hand column I bought seems to be solid. Makes a huge difference on bumpy roads, can actually feel the road not like your floating all over the place!! Not sure how long that will last though... I am happy to take apart my knackered column and do some measurements/take pics but not sure what are the measurements required to find new replacement bearings?

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 15:32
miki4

Regular

Post #6
Luckily mine has only slight upwards movement when arrested in lowest position, so it isn't really bad but still annoying sometimes especially since you know something's not okay in there. It is definitely coming from inside the steering column as everthing else is tight.

Honestly I don't know either which measurements to take but I guess inner and outer diameter, depth and some pics which show the shape should suffice to ask a bearing retailer or look something up on the internet. Before taking apart you should measure how deep the bearing(s) are located inside the column.

Maybe there is something written on the bearings that can help. What's the matter with that yellow plastic ring btw?

Thanks Thumbs up
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 18:21
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
miki4 wrote:
Luckily mine only has slight upwards movement when arrested in lowest position, so it isn't really bad but still annoying sometimes especially since you know something's not okay in there. It is definitely coming from inside the steering column as everthing else is tight.

Honestly I don't know either which measurements to take but I guess inner and outer diameter, depth and some pics which show the shape should suffice to ask a bearing retailer or look something up in the internet. Before taking apart you should measure how deep the bearing(s) are located inside the column.

Maybe there is something written on the bearings that can help. What's the matter with that yellow plastic ring btw?

Thanks Thumbs up

Inner outer dia depth or height of bearing and bearing type presume its a sealed bearing find out if its roller or ball type bearings

If you have an old one you dont need split it and see take a pic should only have one race but check unless its pin type ??

Is it tapered ? self aligning ?

Try to find a part number is best Smug Thumbs up

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 16:38
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
Took a better look at the pic looks like needle roller type

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 16:41
miki4

Regular

Post #9
Also took a closer look at the last pic and there is something written on the bearing: "Nadella Deltaflex DG 138 PAT BTE".
Nadella is a German producer for needle bearings. DG are special series for steering columns.

According to following website it is basically a rubber ring in which a needle roller bearing is inserted. The dimensions shall be: 36 mm outer diameter, 22 mm inner diameter, 20 mm rubber depth and 10 mm inner needle bearing depth. http://ikco-club.ru/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5909

The dimensions shown on this page should be more accurate: http://www.eskbearing.ru/prod?name=DG+138+TNSR

So now we only need to know the part number or dimensions of the other bearing. Smile
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 19:01
miki4

Regular

Post #10
Maybe it is only the rubber part of the bearing which shrinks and causes the movement? That could be an easy fix then - just insert something to fill the gap. Otherwise two new bearings and a polish of the running surface on the shaft and it should be good for another 15 years. Big grin
Posted 1st Nov 2016 at 19:08
miki4

Regular

Post #11
Oliver, any news maybe? Love

oliverharveyuk@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
[...] I am happy to take apart my knackered column and do some measurements/take pics but not sure what are the measurements required to find new replacement bearings?
Posted 5th Jan 2017 at 23:28

Regular

Post #12
Oh sorry mate I assumed that as it had the writing on the bearing that was enough, I'll see if I can take it apart tonight and put some pics up Smile

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 6th Jan 2017 at 09:14
miki4

Regular

Post #13
No problem mate, thanks for your help! Smile I guess the dimensions of the Nadella rubber bearing I found on the russian site are correct. Can you verify that? But there is still the bearing with the yellow plastic ring I see in your pic.
Posted 6th Jan 2017 at 12:44
miki4

Regular

Post #14
Does anyone have some information on the other bearing? I cannot strip mine as I need the car and don't have a spare steering column.
Posted 9th Jul 2017 at 15:51

Regular

Post #15
So it seems you can only remove the upper bearing cage as the column has indents stopping the whole lot being removed this is the dimensions:

This may be the replacement part:
https://www.bearingrevolution.co.uk/k-32-37-13_-needle-roller-and-cage-assembly-with-a-32mm-bore-_-budget-range-4721?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=Shopping%20Leads&gclid=CjwKCAjw2ZXMBRB2EiwA2HVD-O0GeWyrsphKxKUXsMsiwxK1T-gMOG9isiiAx5t993GJUSKcUKXVoxoCwN4QAvD_BwE

98 Blaze 6 - Current
Posted 5th Aug 2017 at 16:42