displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Project Maxi
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Well everyone else seems to be getting Dimma kits so I figured I should join the party, but with something a little different. I picked it up for a relative bargain and although a little tatty should make a good starting point.

Here's how it arrived:

Not quite a real Maxi but close enough for me Big grin The shell is not in a great state and will eventually be replaced but the chassis is generally sound. It came with the original box and an Acoms controller (with that box as well!) so lots of original bits. The steering is currently broken, a collar that joins the servo to the steering horn is broken, you can just about make it out here:

It's supposed to hold these 2 bits together:

Because it's broken the steering is wayward and unpredictable so I'll get it replaced, only £5 or so.

The rest of the electronics are quite old so I'll swap to an electronic motor controller.

I want to put a 19T motor in for a bit more punch but it's already struggling with front grip so a ball bearing diff will go in to give it an "LSD".

I've already stripped down the front and cleaned everything up. Generally it's all in good order, there are some cracks around the top mount point for the front shocks so I might replace that bit of the chassis as well, we'll see:

Finally I've lowered the shell, it was too high for my taste originally and looks much better now!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 21:38
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Can you fit a brushless motor in it? From what i gather they become animals on brushless and a decent Li-Po, i've not kept in touch with the r/c scene for years though.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 14:28
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
I was thinking about brushless. I've haven't had a proper RC car in a while so trying to catch up on all the tech and everything that's changed. LiPo is another option but they require quite a lot of work to maintain, this is really just something I can muck around with, don't want to faff aroind with discharge rates etc.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 14:34
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Last rc I had was the Tamiya Toyota Corrola lol

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 14:39
gnrlee Forum Admin

Post #5
I loved my petrol one but it was just too fast And would flip if turned too quickley! LOL

Proud Member of the ASTOR Owners Club
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 16:23
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
I have one too but a fwd rc is crazy twitcy so i hardly use it

Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 18:47
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
This one is actually pretty stable, you have to work hard to get it to lift off oversteer. Although that might be a result of the dodgy steering!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 21:37
stef306

Regular

Post #8
tamiya ff-01 chassis used to race one back in the days before moving to 1/8th rallycross.

1990 205 gti6 supercharged
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 21:59
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #9
I used to have a Tamiya TA03F and TL-01 from memory, i also had a Kyosho nitro car, Traxxas Bandit buggy then the final one i had was a nitro Traxxas T-maxx.
Still got them all sat in the attic too LOL

Goldie the track car.
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 22:03
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
From my reading the FF-01 was seen as a better option than the FF02 that the Maxi is but I wanted a Maxi Smile

I used to race Schumacher Missions back in the day, still got some left over tools somewhere!

Rallye Race Car
Posted 8th Oct 2016 at 22:08