displaying posts 1 to 4 of 4

Author Subject: My crazy idea, modded 406 hubs on a 306!
janne l

Post #1
Sorry for the wall of text Whistle

I'm looking for inspiration/slap in the face for being silly for my next little project on the trackday 6. I see two problems with my current front suspension setup.
1: The wishbones are pointing upwards since i've lowered it "too much" causing less camber the more the suspension is loaded.
2: Due to maxing the camber setting on the top mounts i believe my driveshafts are a tad to long, it feels like they push on the suspension when cornering (one push per wheel rotation). This could be caused by bumpsteer as well, i'll be looking into that aswell.

I've been looking at some way of rectifying the wishbone angles for a long time but never really got to anything which could be called a good solution (hint, hint, VW stance boys with their roll center kits) until yesterday, when I, in an almost comatose state (due to a man-cold), realized that my previous 307 had front hubs where the ball bearing is screwed into the hub instead of in the wishbone. After a few minutes on the google and servicebox i came to the conclusion that 307 hubs wont work since the shock is mounted differently, however, 406 hubs might do the trick as they seem to have the 50mm shock pinch doodad thingy and upside down bottom ball joint.

My idea is, in short:
Take a 406 hub carrier, replace bearing/hub to suit 306 driveshaft if needed.
Disassemble the 406 ball joint and throw away everything except the threaded part that goes in the hub.
Turn a piece of steel on the lathe to replace the discarded part of the ball joint, but make it a bit fatter and, most importantly, longer.
Weld turned piece of steel into the threaded part of the ball joint.
Take a 306 bottom ball joint and hack the ball section of, in it's place weld in a threaded insert and rod end of suitable dimensions.

Advantages of my idea, if doable:
Suspension geometry it improved, and roll center returns from the depths of hell where it now resides.
Possibility to increase camber by altering new wishbone ball joint length, this would also aid in relieving any excess pressure on the drive shafts.

Things i do not know and would like to find out:
Distance to caliper mounting holes on 306/406 hub carrier from center.
Length of steering arm on the 406 hub carrier

sooooo, any thoughts? Yes No Crazy

Bonus clip, it already handles quite reasonably, the blue car in the beginning is a BMW M2 with Öhlins suspension on a hot-lap, while i'm on my heat-up lap Razz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwue6TpRCoE

Peugeot 306 GTI -97 Stripped out trackday toy
Peugeot 307 SW Griffe -05
Peugeot 206 1,6 Griffe -04
Posted 5th Sep 2016 at 15:23
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #2
thoughts? speak to satchell engineering, they do something exactly as you describe.

radius of the caliper mounting lugs is larger, just means a bigger disc if you use a brembo 406 caliper, 305mm.
only downside is they are quite low offset.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Sep 2016 at 15:36
janne l

Post #3
Thats almost too simple! Clapping

Peugeot 306 GTI -97 Stripped out trackday toy
Peugeot 307 SW Griffe -05
Peugeot 206 1,6 Griffe -04
Posted 5th Sep 2016 at 17:38
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
http://www.satchellengineering.co.uk/suspension-and-steering/205-front-suspension-kit.html

This is the 205 version, 306 is much the same.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 5th Sep 2016 at 17:54