displaying posts 1 to 6 of 6

Author Subject: Driveshaft longitudinal movement
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
On my O/S driveshaft (driver's side, so the longer one) I am able to wiggle it longitudinally a bit by hand with the car in the air. I cannot do this on the other side. I can't hear any noises and I'm not experiencing issues, and there doesn't seem to be play in any other direction, not by wiggling the shaft nor pulling on the wheel.

Picture attached just to illustrate the direction of play.

Is this normal or is it an issue? I'm supposed to be doing a sprint on Tuesday but I don't want to if this is a dangerous fault that could result in damage or me crashing.

RetroPug has attached the following image:

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 20th Aug 2016 at 21:40
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
In the centre pot there is a spring to keep tension that allows the outer shaft section to move slightly if you have alot of play your spring may be snapped but this would usually give gearstick vibration
The short shaft has the same sprj g but due to the nature of the design this only usually shows any movement when the car is on its feet e.g not jacked up n floating

When the shaft is removed the centre boot holds it together so play here is normal if your grease is old n thin it will also give you more play

If the outer boot shows longitudinal or linear movement e.g moves away from the shaft the inner spring clip will be broken or missing you should repair this immediately

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 20th Aug 2016 at 22:31
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Just to be a bit clearer, if I grab the middle of the shaft above the red arrow and pull it away from the hub I can move it a bit but it moves a bit and then hits up against something hard. So this is the outer end of the shaft.

I haven't noticed any gear stick vibrations but I'll check again tomorrow.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Posted 20th Aug 2016 at 23:54
adam b

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
They have movement, don't worry about it until it s**ts itself.

Normally the inner joint bearings fail first. The outer tends to click before breaking. No noise or wobble then don't sweat it

Nothing to see here
Posted 21st Aug 2016 at 07:30
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
RetroPug wrote:
Just to be a bit clearer, if I grab the middle of the shaft above the red arrow and pull it away from the hub I can move it a bit but it moves a bit and then hits up against something hard. So this is the outer end of the shaft.

I haven't noticed any gear stick vibrations but I'll check again tomorrow.

When pulling the hub side shaft away from the hub (bit at the wheel side ) towards the gearbox side it should be sprung and move it self back
If you get a click it is most likely the c clip at the hub side on the inner splines meeting the internal bearings
Most have this
Noise will be massively reduced and movement also with thick new grease

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 21st Aug 2016 at 07:40
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Thanks both. I'll do the sprint day then. Smile