displaying posts 26 to 32 of 32

Pages (2): 1 [2]

Author Subject: GTI- Race car
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bucks

Registered: 25 Feb 2007

Posts: 2,230

Status: Offline

Post #26
Was in the crowd, was a good watch although field seems to be getting more spread out in terms of variety of cars but at least you get some close racing with the 206’s. Are you free to run any tyre in your class?
Posted 11th May 2019 at 19:12
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Location: Great Hockham

Registered: 28 May 2013

Posts: 1,494

Status: Offline

Post #27
Do you mean NS2R if so the AR1 are so much better if you have issues I would look at your suspension set up.

________________________________________

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
Posted 11th May 2019 at 21:04
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,015

Status: Offline

Post #28
pug_306 wrote:
Do you mean NS2R if so the AR1 are so much better if you have issues I would look at your suspension set up.


Chris I agree with Ryan ...have a look at your rear suspension first then front ...I’ve found get the back correct first and the front is then much easier to dial in ...
The back controls a 306 Thumbs up

Check for wear all over and check your Dampers match your Torsion bars and your ARB is fine Thumbs up
Posted 12th May 2019 at 18:34
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Location: Corby

Registered: 03 Aug 2016

Posts: 76

Status: Offline

Post #29
Day666 wrote:
pug_306 wrote:
Do you mean NS2R if so the AR1 are so much better if you have issues I would look at your suspension set up.


Chris I agree with Ryan ...have a look at your rear suspension first then front ...I’ve found get the back correct first and the front is then much easier to dial in ...
The back controls a 306 Thumbs up

Check for wear all over and check your Dampers match your Torsion bars and your ARB is fine Thumbs up


The rears are relatively new AVO's . The rear beam was re-built by the previous owner with, what I am told by those more knowledgeable, is a slightly thicker torsion bar, and it is lowered 30mm.

I still perceive my problem being that the new Eibach front springs are not stiff enough, i.e. 375lb +. Other 306 racers have suggested that I need to invest in some front coil-overs with 375lb/400lb front springs.
With the previous springs on my old struts, it went round corners much better but the springs snapped due to what I suspect was old age/rubbish quality steel .

I was considering trying the NS-R2 tyres on the front as I am told, they have stiffer side walls and I was hoping they may assist resisting front roll. I have watched the 206 cars at close quarters. Although they are a good 100kg lighter, and their front springs are circa 400lb[as I am told by the team that builds them], they do not seem to suffer their tyres going off like I suffer with my AR-1's. After 15-20mins hard driving, they start to turn to chocolate, especially if it is a warm day !

As I have said before, racing my 306 is a voyage of discovery as I raced Fiestas for years and know them inside out.
I am more than open to advice from 306 racers or experienced tuners. As I like a FWD car that oversteers, I have my car set up so the rear tends to come round easier. I start a race with 18psi in the fronts and 34 in the rears. The rear shox are set 2-clicks from full hard.

Over to you experienced 306 owners !!!!!!!!!!!

________________________________________

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 14th May 2019 at 18:39
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bucks

Registered: 25 Feb 2007

Posts: 2,230

Status: Offline

Post #30
All depends on the rear set up as you want to match. If it’s only slightly bigger at the rear it may not be as far out as you think and if anything maybe the front to stiff?

For ref I run 24mm torsion bars and 30mm arb with 7kg (400lCool springs on front with -3deg camber all round

Pressure wise I start out at 22-24psi front and around 26rear but I’m only a track day not race so not granted prob not pushing as hard
Posted 14th May 2019 at 22:12
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Location: Bristol

Registered: 20 Apr 2013

Posts: 4,015

Status: Offline

Post #31
Chris do you own or could you borrow a (temp laser heat gun receiver you can get them for £30-£40 for the cheaper ones ) ?
They have proven record to see what temp your tyres over the width /what areas ?
Get as much info inc pressure of tyres when you come in etc ...18 front seems really low ...try to come in at about 30-32 max...

When I spanner for Will we try everything and log it Thumbs up
I still think something more than just front springs are adrift ....just my 5 pence worth ...

I feel I’ve run most decent setups now and I read when I started out (Russian Guy) on here excellent suspension write up ...
Everyone has there own driving style too...
So many factors can be the cause !!

Good luck Thumbs up
Posted 14th May 2019 at 23:35
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Location: Corby

Registered: 03 Aug 2016

Posts: 76

Status: Offline

Post #32
Day666 wrote:
Chris do you own or could you borrow a (temp laser heat gun receiver you can get them for £30-£40 for the cheaper ones ) ?
They have proven record to see what temp your tyres over the width /what areas ?
Get as much info inc pressure of tyres when you come in etc ...18 front seems really low ...try to come in at about 30-32 max...

When I spanner for Will we try everything and log it Thumbs up
I still think something more than just front springs are adrift ....just my 5 pence worth ...

I feel I’ve run most decent setups now and I read when I started out (Russian Guy) on here excellent suspension write up ...
Everyone has there own driving style too...
So many factors can be the cause !!

Good luck Thumbs up


I have to admit, when I used to race single seaters, I did follow what you said and it was a real eye opener.
I will find "Russian Guys" thread on suspension and have a read. [why re-invent the wheel??]

Following on from my starter problems at Castle Combe, the car has just come back from Bee-Cool motorsports in Kettering. New starter motor fitted and that problem is now solved, however, turns out my Demon Thieves push-button starter switch has burnt out so I have just had to order a heavy duty one from CBS kit car spares in Ashford in Kent. If you have never used these guys, they are good. Their catalogue is a good reference guide if you are building a race or track car. It is also worth buying their "idiots guide" DVD's. They may be basic for some people but are always a useful reminder how to do certain things.

Next race - Mallory on 16th June.

________________________________________

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 17th May 2019 at 15:55

Pages (2): 1 [2]

All times are GMT. The time is now 13:32

The Peugeot GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd - Registered in England & Wales - Reg No: 07410694 - ©2019 all rights reserved.

Please Note : The views and opinions found herein are those of individuals, and not of The Peugeot 306 GTi-6 & Rallye Owners Club Ltd or any individuals involved.
No responsibility is taken or assumed for any comments or statements made on, or in relation to, this website. Please see our updated privacy policy and legal information