displaying posts 26 to 50 of 52

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3

Author Subject: GTI- Race car
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #26
Was in the crowd, was a good watch although field seems to be getting more spread out in terms of variety of cars but at least you get some close racing with the 206’s. Are you free to run any tyre in your class?
Posted 11th May 2019 at 19:12
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #27
Do you mean NS2R if so the AR1 are so much better if you have issues I would look at your suspension set up.

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 11th May 2019 at 21:04
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #28
pug_306 wrote:
Do you mean NS2R if so the AR1 are so much better if you have issues I would look at your suspension set up.

Chris I agree with Ryan ...have a look at your rear suspension first then front ...I’ve found get the back correct first and the front is then much easier to dial in ...
The back controls a 306 Thumbs up

Check for wear all over and check your Dampers match your Torsion bars and your ARB is fine Thumbs up
Posted 12th May 2019 at 18:34
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #29
Day666 wrote:
pug_306 wrote:

Chris I agree with Ryan ...have a look at your rear suspension first then front ...I’ve found get the back correct first and the front is then much easier to dial in ...
The back controls a 306 Thumbs up

Check for wear all over and check your Dampers match your Torsion bars and your ARB is fine Thumbs up

The rears are relatively new AVO's . The rear beam was re-built by the previous owner with, what I am told by those more knowledgeable, is a slightly thicker torsion bar, and it is lowered 30mm.

I still perceive my problem being that the new Eibach front springs are not stiff enough, i.e. 375lb +. Other 306 racers have suggested that I need to invest in some front coil-overs with 375lb/400lb front springs.
With the previous springs on my old struts, it went round corners much better but the springs snapped due to what I suspect was old age/rubbish quality steel .

I was considering trying the NS-R2 tyres on the front as I am told, they have stiffer side walls and I was hoping they may assist resisting front roll. I have watched the 206 cars at close quarters. Although they are a good 100kg lighter, and their front springs are circa 400lb[as I am told by the team that builds them], they do not seem to suffer their tyres going off like I suffer with my AR-1's. After 15-20mins hard driving, they start to turn to chocolate, especially if it is a warm day !

As I have said before, racing my 306 is a voyage of discovery as I raced Fiestas for years and know them inside out.
I am more than open to advice from 306 racers or experienced tuners. As I like a FWD car that oversteers, I have my car set up so the rear tends to come round easier. I start a race with 18psi in the fronts and 34 in the rears. The rear shox are set 2-clicks from full hard.

Over to you experienced 306 owners !!!!!!!!!!!

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 14th May 2019 at 18:39
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #30
All depends on the rear set up as you want to match. If it’s only slightly bigger at the rear it may not be as far out as you think and if anything maybe the front to stiff?

For ref I run 24mm torsion bars and 30mm arb with 7kg (400lCool springs on front with -3deg camber all round

Pressure wise I start out at 22-24psi front and around 26rear but I’m only a track day not race so not granted prob not pushing as hard
Posted 14th May 2019 at 22:12
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #31
Chris do you own or could you borrow a (temp laser heat gun receiver you can get them for £30-£40 for the cheaper ones ) ?
They have proven record to see what temp your tyres over the width /what areas ?
Get as much info inc pressure of tyres when you come in etc ...18 front seems really low ...try to come in at about 30-32 max...

When I spanner for Will we try everything and log it Thumbs up
I still think something more than just front springs are adrift ....just my 5 pence worth ...

I feel I’ve run most decent setups now and I read when I started out (Russian Guy) on here excellent suspension write up ...
Everyone has there own driving style too...
So many factors can be the cause !!

Good luck Thumbs up
Posted 14th May 2019 at 23:35
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #32
Day666 wrote:
Chris do you own or could you borrow a (temp laser heat gun receiver you can get them for £30-£40 for the cheaper ones ) ?
They have proven record to see what temp your tyres over the width /what areas ?
Get as much info inc pressure of tyres when you come in etc ...18 front seems really low ...try to come in at about 30-32 max...

When I spanner for Will we try everything and log it Thumbs up
I still think something more than just front springs are adrift ....just my 5 pence worth ...

I feel I’ve run most decent setups now and I read when I started out (Russian Guy) on here excellent suspension write up ...
Everyone has there own driving style too...
So many factors can be the cause !!

Good luck Thumbs up

I have to admit, when I used to race single seaters, I did follow what you said and it was a real eye opener.
I will find "Russian Guys" thread on suspension and have a read. [why re-invent the wheel??]

Following on from my starter problems at Castle Combe, the car has just come back from Bee-Cool motorsports in Kettering. New starter motor fitted and that problem is now solved, however, turns out my Demon Thieves push-button starter switch has burnt out so I have just had to order a heavy duty one from CBS kit car spares in Ashford in Kent. If you have never used these guys, they are good. Their catalogue is a good reference guide if you are building a race or track car. It is also worth buying their "idiots guide" DVD's. They may be basic for some people but are always a useful reminder how to do certain things.

Next race - Mallory on 16th June.

Posted 17th May 2019 at 15:55
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #33
Got some new Nankang tyres for the front from Demon Tweaks as you cannot order them from any tyre dealer, only motorsport registered ones.

What a ball-ache trying to find a tyre dealer around Corby area who could fit and balance them.
Luckily, after numerous phone calls, came up trumps with Kingsway Tyres.

Nice bunch of guys there. Had to sport out £20 a tyre but at least I can fit them now for Mallory next weekend.

Posted 8th Jun 2019 at 16:29
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #34
What you running on back? Any reason why not running same all round? Just intrigued.

Hoping may be able to pop along next sun to watch at Mallory work dependant
Posted 8th Jun 2019 at 21:17
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #35
blandy wrote:
What you running on back? Any reason why not running same all round? Just intrigued.

Hoping may be able to pop along next sun to watch at Mallory work dependant

Am running the new NS-2R's at the front and my old AR-1's at the as they probably have 2 races left in them, max. back
I have been watching how the 206 Cup guys cars perform on the NS-2R's and, after having spoken with them, decided to give them a go. Will buy some more for the rear.

PS: I should have a couple of tickets spare, if you need one.

Posted 9th Jun 2019 at 16:09
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #36
Will that not make it tail happy with more grip at the front than rear?

Thanks ref tickets I’ll give you a shout nearer weekend once I know work etc but that would be great if you do have spare.
Posted 9th Jun 2019 at 18:37
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #37
blandy wrote:
Will that not make it tail happy with more grip at the front than rear?

Thanks ref tickets I’ll give you a shout nearer weekend once I know work etc but that would be great if you do have spare.

The aim is to get more grip at the front as my car understeers due to my soft springing issue.
As I like a car that oversteers, it will suit my style of driving.

Tickets have come for Mallory. If you find that work comittments allow you to have a day out, send me your address via Messenger and I will send you a ticket if you want one

Posted 10th Jun 2019 at 18:02
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #38
Without knowing the full spec of the car a std 306 should go round Combe in around 1.23/4 without too many mods, I'd look at the rear beam and get a big ARB in there, Avo's I have never been a fan of but mine for example just uses B8 fronts and Eibach's with 205 Rear Billies, 21 VTS bars and a 30mm ARB and can do the above time before I fitted my nice engine, It handles fine and you can balance it on the throttle or it could just be me, Sector times I get are right up the top with any saloon, Just the straight bit's I miss out on.

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 10th Jun 2019 at 22:28
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #39
miles wrote:
Without knowing the full spec of the car a std 306 should go round Combe in around 1.23/4 without too many mods, I'd look at the rear beam and get a big ARB in there, Avo's I have never been a fan of but mine for example just uses B8 fronts and Eibach's with 205 Rear Billies, 21 VTS bars and a 30mm ARB and can do the above time before I fitted my nice engine, It handles fine and you can balance it on the throttle or it could just be me, Sector times I get are right up the top with any saloon, Just the straight bit's I miss out on.

Hi Miles

I run a bog standard engine with a cone filter. The car weighs 1125kg with me in it - it is a stripped out race car with full perspex, cage etc. I did a 1:28:4 at Combe in April and I was driving it like I stole it. 5th on a standard BE6 gearbox on the start finish line, pulling nearly 120mph just before braking for the next corner. I have a weight disadvantage to the Clios. I know I need a lower FD but I need to find £1200 for that, including fitting by Pug-1-Off.
I keep up with all the 206 Cup cars except for Crispin's one which is about 2 secs a lap faster than mine. He must have bigger gonnads !

Posted 13th Aug 2019 at 16:46
miles

Seasoned Pro

Post #40
Mines road going with all trim and glass so will be abit more than yours in weight, £1200.00 is allot for a FD and could do one cheaper than that but I would look at a 5 speed box if reg's allow as it gives you the budget clubman box of a 205 1.9 or 1.6 gearset with a 4.4 CWP
Get a Diff too, not Tran X stuff as it's very old to say the least, I run Gripper now and thou allot more than anything else it gives results

306 Rallye Sptint/Race Car, 205 CTI 1.9 8v to name a few

Road, Track and Race/Rally car preparation to your personal requirements,
Full Workshop & Diagnostic Facilities
New and Second parts, from Plugs to Turbo's
We now also carry out Routine Servicing
www.pugracing.com

& FB Page, https://www.facebook.com/PugRacing

Ebay; http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pug-Racing-Shop

2012/2013/2014/2019 Class Winners at Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb & Joint overall, Class record too along the way,
Posted 12th Jun 2019 at 20:58
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #41
I’d imagine production plus that Chris runs in will need to stay as 6 speed which is a shame as the 5 speed makes a good box as had exactly that in my 205 and 306 to begin with.
Posted 12th Jun 2019 at 21:31
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #42
Nice to finally get to say hello Chris just a shame was with the car on the trailer. Hope you get the wiring sorted and back out for the next one
Posted 16th Jun 2019 at 16:01
petey

Regular

Post #43
If you're still looking for wheels and tyres, then these would look splendid on your white car Whistle

ClickForNiceWheels

The Dunlops are the best track tyres that I have used so far

High Boost Supercharged 306 GTI6
Alfa 147 GTA
Posted 20th Jun 2019 at 16:21
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #44
blandy wrote:
Nice to finally get to say hello Chris just a shame was with the car on the trailer. Hope you get the wiring sorted and back out for the next one

Car being collected from Bee-Cool later today. Turns out the new starter motor burnt out. The suppliers have offered a full refund but that is not the point. I will be chasing them to pay the garage bill for the repair as it is down to their faulty goods.

Not out until Donnington in October due to Holidays coinciding with Cadwell in July and Mallory Park in September.

Will I suffer withdrawl symptoms? You bet I will. LOL

Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 16:16
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #45
you still selling up?
Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 17:08
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #46
miles wrote:
Mines road going with all trim and glass so will be abit more than yours in weight, £1200.00 is allot for a FD and could do one cheaper than that but I would look at a 5 speed box if reg's allow as it gives you the budget clubman box of a 205 1.9 or 1.6 gearset with a 4.4 CWP
Get a Diff too, not Tran X stuff as it's very old to say the least, I run Gripper now and thou allot more than anything else it gives results

If the car does not sell, I will come and talk to you about getting one of those boxes as it sounds a much cheaper way of getting the same result !

Posted 3rd Jul 2019 at 18:54
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #47
blandy wrote:
Nice I’d love to race mine eventually plan is to do some more trackdays and maybe next year go for a race liscence

Did you look into the pug1offpackage in the end? I know one of the guys who Race a 306 as his spare car in the tricolour series had the package and seems to go well

Mike

You are obviously referring to Andrew Mitchell's car. He is a very nice helpful guy.

After 3 months of seeing if I could sell the old girl, I have given up as I have been beset with idiots and time-wasters, so I have entered the Tricilore round at Donnington Park in October.

Was considering re-doing my dash so that the race bits were fitted into an aluminium box bolted next to the transmission tunnel and within easy reach of me, seated. Has anyone done this and can post any pics??
Still not had time to liberate more metal from the tail gate so will try and get the angle grinder out. That will wake teh neighbours up !

Posted 12th Aug 2019 at 18:47
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #48
Yeah I was referring to Andrew the car is my mates old one.

I had all mine in a fibreglass box next to seat alongside he handbrake in new car though I’ve build a new one and am putting back closer to the dash

I used this one https://www.maximotorsport.com/products.php?directory=products/Universal%20products/Interior/Switch%20box

Posted 12th Aug 2019 at 19:17
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #49
Posted 12th Aug 2019 at 19:18
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #50
blandy wrote:
Yeah I was referring to Andrew the car is my mates old one.

I had all mine in a fibreglass box next to seat alongside he handbrake in new car though I’ve build a new one and am putting back closer to the dash

I used this one https://www.maximotorsport.com/products.php?directory=products/Universal%20products/Interior/Switch%20box

You are a naughty boy, showing me this link -fibreglass bonnets and tailgates. Sit on the naughty step. You can explain to my wife why my car needs these !! LOL

The switch box looks good. Another winter job.

Dear Santa,

can I have a set of front coil-overs, a fibreglass bonnet and a switch box

Pretty please?

Posted 13th Aug 2019 at 16:45

Pages (3): 1 [2] 3