displaying posts 1 to 25 of 52

Pages (3): [1] 2 3

Author Subject: GTI- Race car
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #1
Hi Everyone

I come and joined you all and bought an ex-track day 306 to finish converting into a tin-top race car. I was mega-lucky to find it on e-bay and travelled up North yesterday to get it. The guy who had it previously to the vendor had done all the work which saves me loads of grief. It's been fitted with :-

OMP 6-point roll cage
plastic side windows with sliders
AVO suspension with very hard front springs
195/50 x 15 Federal tyres
Cobra and Corbeau wrap-around buckets with Scroth and OMP 4-point out-of date harnesses
Spoox gear change system
Pug-sport Group N engine mount.
New discs all round with Green pads up front and standard ones at the rear
uprated torsion bar
bias valve
cone filter
ECU re-map

From what I can see, I need to fit

battery cut-off switch
new race battery
fire extinguisher
6-point saloon harness [OMP or Sparco]
upper and lower strut braces

Tyres for the 2016 season
spare set of wheels.

Can someone explain how I add pictures to my thread? I have gone into the browse bit, selected a picture, but nothing happens when I post !!

I acknowledge the incredible amount of help given by Dan Abblitt who races one in the MSVR Track-day series. It was seeing his pole position lap time from Brands Indy in 2015 that made me realise this was a good buy.

Also, to Les Beer Motorsport, for picking the car up for me as my tow-bar had not yet been fitted.

If anyone has any 6" x 15" rims for sale at a sensible price, PM me. I live in Bedford.

Flatoutfarr has attached the following image:

Adventure before Dementia !!
Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 16:41
manthos

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
I have some cyclones if therequired any good to you? also if the harnesses are still in good condition I'd be interested in them. to upload photos open a photo bucket accout and copy and paste the IMG code

Team SUPERCHARGED

Ninja I LIVE FOR THE 306 Ninja

Old Project thread

Clicky: [url =http://www.306gti6.com]click here[/url] remove the space between [url =
Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 14:30
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #3
Hi Manthos

Thanks for the guidance on photos. I'd be interested in those wheels. PM with a price. I will give you my e-mail address and you can send me a couple of photos of them. I will keep one of the harnesses for the passenger seat as my wife still wants to do a track-day or 2 and I may get myself some extra tuition [you are never too old to learn]

Just want to say how impressed I am with the 306 community and how everyone helps each other out. I am now an old git, having raced for 40 years. But I still have the bug and the need to compete.

Try this link to see other pictures of the car !!

http://s1021.photobucket.com/user/jasagracer/library/?sort=3&page=1

Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 16:46
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
Car looks good Chris! Front bumper seems to be sticking out a bit though?

I'm not sure on Cyclones as race wheels, they're quite heavy. Good starting point but there are some better options out there.

The Federals are a good starting tyre but if you know what you're doing in a race car I'd bin them off fairly quickly, swapping to something like Dunlop DZ03Gs will gain you at least a second, maybe 2, a lap! I use Federals as wet tyres Smile

With Tin Tops you have no real minimum weight (probably 700kg or so which is probably impossible for a 306!) so it's worth putting the car on a serious diet. In Trackday Championship it's power to weight so if I take more weight out I end up racing some pretty fast cars.

Rallye Race Car
Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 18:12
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
If you would like better brakes i have some for sale.

And welcome

Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 18:11
demondriverdan

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
fatlapit wrote:
If you would like better brakes i have some for sale.

And welcome

Bring the price down a bit and I'll buy them Razz

Rallye Race Car
Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 18:13
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
I have 4u already

Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 18:59
fatlapit

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I have 4u already

Posted 12th Aug 2016 at 19:50
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #9
Hi Guys

It's been a while since I posted due to buying a tatty bigger house and spending the last 5 months knee deep in plaster, wiring, plumbing etc.

Went to Race Retro yesterday, got my race medical done and passed so thought I better get on with the few bits I needed to do for 2018.
Last season showed I was race rusty after 7 years absence. I also had Agrro with my battery cut out as it worked when the engine wasn't running but didn't when it was. Sooo.......

We had 2 hours with the multi-meter this morning and eventually realised that the power feed into the ignition is the 17A red cable. I took a deep breath and cut through it. Safely blanked off the cable from the fuse box and ran a new 17A cable from my race fuse box which runs off the MSA FIA battery cut-out switch. And it worked 1st time !!! So now the 306 is scrutineer legal at last.

Next job : got the angle grinder out and cut off the front metal tow hook. Even more luck, Peugeot had left a hole in the chassis rail that was the right size for an M10 8.8 bolt for the MSA wire tow strap. A quick trip to Screwfix liberated 2 packs of large washer for a M10 bolt for 69p per pack ! Simple bolt in job !!

Just got to install my new wide internal mirror, courtesy of JJC, give the car an oil change and we can venture out to Donnington for the 18th March 750MC meeting.
I will fit the new softer springs to the front after the 1st meeting as time hasn't given me enough weekends to do it.

Posted 25th Feb 2018 at 19:38
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Nice please keep us posted with the progress
Posted 25th Feb 2018 at 19:46
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #11
Hi fellow enthusiasts. It's been a while since I have updated progress.

We did the 750MC Brands round in April and the car ran like a donkey. No power Etc.
So we bit the bullet and went to see the Motorsport Fairy, I.e. Bee-Cool motorsport in Kettering.

The bank account has taken a spanking but what a difference! The engine has been given a chemical carbonisation clean so the inside is now shiny again, allowing the head to flow properly etc. The injection system has had a major overhaul. I was told there was less oil and sludge on the Torrey Canyon (a super tanker ship wreck in the Scilly Isles for our younger forum members).
The old knackered K and N cone filter was junked and a brand new Jetex has replaced it. Also, a new ally catch tank was squeezed into the engine bay. The ECU has been played with to give better torque as we still run the original road cams.
The suspension has been on the laser-align rig so everything points in the right direction. The engine now runs on Rock race oil. Bloody expensive but well worth it.

The bumper is now easily removable via 4 bonnet pins, which now makes it easier loading the car on and off the trailer.

The question you may be asking is does it go any better?
You bet it does!, Instead of bogging down when you give it some welly, it flies. Spins the wheels in 2nd without any trouble. I am at Croft in a week's time so will give my fellow hot hatch competitors a shock. Instead of being at the back of the grid, we should hopefully be further up towards the sharp end.
I run AR-1 Nankangs on the car and they are the business. I am also changing the front brake pads from DS2500's to EBC yellow ones. I just haven't liked the feel of the 2500's.

I will endeavour to take some pics and load them up onto the forum.

I bumped into Dan at Brands who was also racing. What a nice helpful guy.
Also tripped over another 306 racer whilst doing my day job. He races a circa 250bhp 306 on throttle bodies in the CSCC series. Again, another nice bloke ! He let me look at his car. It proved i am in the right ball-park with mine.

One thing I will say: everyone I have encountered on this forum and who race a 306 have turned out to be top guys.

Posted 19th May 2018 at 04:31
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #12
Project update:

Well; we went up't North 2 weeks ago and did the Croft round of the 750MC Hot Hatch championship. Firstly, even though I am halfway up the A1, it still takes forever to get there, but boy, was it worth it ! What a great track. Last saw it when the BTCC boys had the terrible multiple accident there last season. Was pulling 100mph on the back twisty section.

Got fed up with the 2500 front pads so put some EBC yellows in. What a great set of pads ! They work really well and gave me confidence to brake later. Got them from JJC who got them to me 3 days before I expected them so hats off to them for good service.

Got the AR-1's working properly. With some heat in them, they really stick well but they suffer an increase in pressure of 10psi over a 10 lap race.

All the engine work was worth it. The car now runs properly. [it uses more fuel in a race !] And we were fighting further up the grid. Race 2 resulted in me finishing 17th out of 31 ! I WAS NOT LAST ! Some cars had to now work to get past me !

Now thinking of getting some CAT CAMS stuck in the head that will still run with the standard injection. PUG1OFF do them and claim 197bhp. Anyone had any experience of these cams and if so, what do you think? Also, which ones are they?

Car still needs the softer springs fitted, so they go in ready for Cadwell at the end of July ! Hopefully, that will decrease the understeer problems.

Next update after Cadwell Park !

Posted 4th Jun 2018 at 17:25
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #13
Me at Croft

Posted 4th Jun 2018 at 17:35
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #14
Me still going !

Posted 4th Jun 2018 at 17:40
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
How’s the racing going?
Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 16:32
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #16
As the engine was obviously not running properly, spent a considerable sum with Bee-Cool Motorsport in Kettering.
Had the engine decoked, chemically, the whole of the injection system overhauled/replaced and a new Jetex cone filter installed. Had the ECU played with to give better torque; tracking sorted out, replaced the front suspension with new springs etc. Engine now running on Rock fully synthetic Race oil. What a difference that lot made !!

Got shoved on the 750MC rolling road at Silverstone. Engine giving 163bhp at teh flywheel. Not bad after 152,000 miles !!

Handles better now. Car not really competitive in the class C as the Saxos are so light and fast, so going to do CSCC tin-tops next year with a few other 306's.

Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 16:46
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #17
Nice I’d love to race mine eventually plan is to do some more trackdays and maybe next year go for a race liscence

Did you look into the pug1offpackage in the end? I know one of the guys who Race a 306 as his spare car in the tricolour series had the package and seems to go well
Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 16:49
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #18
I have, but I think I would be better served by having a lower diff put in the gearbox.

Trouble is, that is another £2600 ! And our house is sucking money like a sponge.
We bought a very tatty 4-bed detached 70's chalet a year ago. Billy the Bodger had it before us and we seem to be continually throwing money at it to sort out his bodges !

The fact that it had space to park my box trailer on the front and a largish single garage made me decide to get it, and we needed extra space as we work from home !!

Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 17:01
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #19
Can’t argue with that more space at home is always a winner. Do you have to stick with a 6 speed? I’ve fitted a 5 speed 205gti gearbox with a 4.4ish final drive from a xsara in which is ideal and fairly cheap certainly compared to a lower final drive for the 6 box
Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 17:04
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #20
Blandy: do you want to PM me as to how you do this, i.e. can you use 306 GTI-6 driveshafts etc as that sounds a lot more sensible than the Pug-1-off solution [easier on the wallet !!]

Do you still use the GTI-6 gear change mechanism and what do you do about the clutch? Do you still use the 306 clutch or what? No point in re-inventing the wheel.....

Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 17:16
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #21
I would just use a xsara vts gearbox. They have the 4:4 FD. You never get into 6th anyway

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 17:35
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #22
Xsara box was to long for what I wanted the box I use will do around 130 which is enough.
It’s well known on the 205 clubs as a lot do it

http://www.rallyparts.co.uk/cwp_change/

There’s a few pics in my old 205 thread

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=166053

The box does now sit in my 306 which uses 306 shafts and linkages etc. Only thing different I use a push clutch as came out the 205 but can use the arm etc from the 306 box and stay pull as per original 306 bonus is it’s lighter box being 5 speed.

Forgot how to do clicky links years ago as this is only forum you still have to do it
Posted 2nd Sep 2018 at 17:49
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #23
Well folks.

After a grotty week at work I managed to get my boss to let me have today off. So we have been working on the race toy.

I cut a new dash out and re-positioned the fuse box so I could install my push-button start panel.

After a few trials and tribulations, we finally got it done. Bought myself one of those tapered drill bits from Car Builder Solutions. Why did I not buy one of them before? Simple way to drill large holes in lightweight metal.

Tidied up the wiring as well. Hey presto; it all works.

As a Welsh ex-work colleague would say "There's tidy for you !"

Posted 14th Sep 2018 at 16:09
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #24
It's been a little while since I posted so I will try and bring everyone up to date. We have done 2 events this season, Brands in the glorious sunshine and Silverstone National in the bloody freezing cold ! I am now doing the Tricilore Trophy Series. It is a very friendly series. I am generally racing against the 206 GTI Cup guys whose power/weight is about the same as my 306, and the fact that most of the guys are half my age !! Never going to beat the Production Clios, in my class, as they are too light !!

New Koni Sports are a lot better than my old AVO's at the front but the new Eibach springs are too soft. I really need 375lb standard style [30mm lower] front springs as you are not allowed to run coil-overs in the production class, but where the hell can you get stiffer springs from?

I have finally got around to removing the standard heavy battery from the engine bay and substituting a gel type battery in the passenger compartment. Should have done it a while ago but working away from home does not help matters.

PS: can't see the bit where I can add photos !

Posted 14th Apr 2019 at 16:38
Flatoutfarr

Junior User

Post #25
Yet another update - 3rd race weekend of 2019; did Castle Combe with the Tricilore guys. Bloody hell; is that track quick or what? in 5th on a BE6 gearbox doing 120mph just before the bumpy braking point at the end of teh main straight.
Quali was rubbish; my fault - fancy meal to celebrate 14 years with my dearly beloved and 2 bottles of good vino.....

Then I discovered that the starter motor had failed, after diving out to the local Halfords in Chippenham to replace the battery. However, the 206 guys are a good bunch and offered to bump start me so instead of loading it up on the trailer and going home, we got to do both races. What sportsmanship.

Managed to finish both races - a couple of battle scars after two racing incidents with 2 of the 206's. In one, I was fighting for track position and neither of us would give way. I am the last of the late brakers, and the 206 I was fighting with braked a second before me and I tagged him sending him into the mud. I apologised to him, but the driver wasn't happy as he is trying to get signatures to upgrade his licence to a Nat A and he went out on lap 3. The second incident was close racing with a mate of mine. We touched; my driver's side to his passenger side. We just laughed and that was it.
Need to get new tyres and am seriously considering Nankang NSR2 instead of my AR-1's. Looking at the way the 206 GTI 140bhp handle on them and talking through their performance with the guy who keeps winning the class, it might help with the handling on my 306.

Posted 11th May 2019 at 12:51

Pages (3): [1] 2 3