displaying posts 1 to 10 of 10

Author Subject: Ph.1 Fans
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
I recently fit a slimline fan to my ph.1 gti6, this is connected to the OEM wiring.

I ran the car up to temperature and the fan kicked in as normal. Since then the wire to the fan broke so it stopped working, I've now soldered this together but the fan now won't work. I've checked all the fuses under the steering wheel and two were blown, I've replaced these and this has had no effect, which is odd given that everything else works on the car.

Is there a way to check if the fan wiring is ok? On later cars you can unplug the brown temp sensor and they'll come on but a ph.1 doesn't have this sensor. Is there another trick to getting the fan to come on on a ph.1?

In addition to this, does anyone have a fuse diagram? I'd like to check fuses and relays etc. but it seems coincidental that the fan wiring and relays would have stopped working and I suspect that it's something I've done so ideally I'd like to check whether or not the wiring to the fan is good. If it isn't I know I've got to re-do it again, if it is it would point towards a fuse I've missed or a relay/temp sensor.

Perhaps you can bridge two pins on one of the relays or sensors?

Thanks

61k miles Ph.1 Diablo '6 Project Thread
Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 17:28
cully

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
there are two other fuses in the engine bay compartment for the fans too Wink
Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 17:44
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I'll check them. Are they in the relay box behind the ABS unit? I cracked the lid but only saw relays, perhaps I just missed them in a glance.

Is there a way to force the fan to operate like there is on the later cars? Changing a fuse etc. and then warming the car all the way up to see if it worked is quite time-consuming.

Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 18:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #4
depends, is it a non ac system?

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 18:46
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
Missed that detail, yes it is a non-AC ph.1 gti6, no brown temperature sensor in the thermostat housing, so single fan.

I've swapped the fan for a slimline one. The connection I made broke, I've now fixed it properly, could well have blown a fuse so I'll be sure to check the engine bay ones.

Edit: Checked engine bay fuses, none were broken. There was a cover inside the fuse box that was difficult to pop off and I left it as it seemed to cover the wiring into the fuse box.

Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 20:58
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #6
pull the 3 pin blue plug off and check for 12v at one pin, centre iirc.

if there is, bridge to either of the other pins and you should hear the eelay click and get 12v to the fan.

common to get corrosion in the small multiplug to the main loom.

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 21:08
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
Will do that, probably tomorrow. Thanks.

The multiplugs on the main loom are clean from what I can remember. I am convinced this is related to me fitting the new fan.

Posted 7th Aug 2016 at 22:31
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #8
I checked this a while ago and I was only getting something like 6v to one of the pins. Bridging the pins didn't start the fan.

I'll be having another look this weekend if I have time. I do have a second fan wired through a relay to a switch on the dashboard, but I'd like to get the main fan working correctly.

Posted 8th Sep 2016 at 13:45
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
6v would be low speed, if bridging didnt start the fan then theres an earth or relay or motor at fault, but you are getting power somewhere

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 8th Sep 2016 at 13:56
RetroPug

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Hmm that's interesting. Yes the 6ish volts was measured with the vehicle at rest with the ignition on, not while the coolant temperature was high (from memory), so that makes sense.

The first thing I'll check will be the connections between the fan + and - wires and the existing wiring loom. They looked okay after I soldered the + one but perhaps the - one has also broken behind the insulation.

I'd be surprised if a relay had blown at the exact same point I'd fitted slimline fans, ran them once and then a connection broke as my understanding was that they were designed to tolerate voltage spikes! It would be extremely coincidental if a different fault had manifested at the same time as me installing the fan, but not outside the realms of possibility.

Does the sensor receiving power eliminate a potential blown fuse? Or are there other fuses which control the fans which are not on the same circuit as the blue sensor potentially?

Thanks for your help so far, it's appreciated.

Posted 8th Sep 2016 at 16:08