displaying posts 51 to 75 of 90

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4

Author Subject: 205 track car
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #51
Done a bit more today. Finally sat back on all 4's with different gearbox, new wheels, new tyres and new brakes
Think it's safe to say the calipers are just about squeezed in there

Posted 2nd Oct 2016 at 21:29
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #52
Not such a good day, had a trip up to snetterton for what looked like a promising day. 1st outing with the new gearbox shows under load it struggles to get 3rd without crunching. So came back in and checked over and played with adjustment but to no avail. Thought well I'm here for the day I'll just have to live with it and then 2 laps in bang and clutch just drops to the floor Sad.

First time I've ever had any issues with the car so proper gutted as old gearbox was fine and only swapped for improvement

And then to top the day off my mate was with me taking his 306 xsi out for the first time and 20mins after mine letting go his blew a brake hose
Posted 15th Oct 2016 at 17:48
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #53
crunching is probably a worn synchro, did the cable break? probably form being too tight and your boot hitting the bulkhead...

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 15th Oct 2016 at 19:36
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #54
No either release bearing or clutch as pedal falls to the floor also can lift the clutch arm up and down with ease so thoughts are bearing related. Beginning to think this box was doomed from the start.

Release bearing was new 6montgs ago along with clutch and although was first outing on box it's using the clutch arm, bushes, fork etc are all from the previous xsara box
Posted 15th Oct 2016 at 19:47
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #55
Well managed to get the box out today as well as taking the engine out as about time it had a Cambelt and sort a couple of small leaks.

Found clutch release bearing location tabs were bent and no longer attached to the fork hence the loss of the clutch pedal

This was in the gearbox oil .... very pretty

Posted 15th Nov 2016 at 13:37
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #56
cars now put away for the winter prep/maintenance.

Engine and box have been removed. Engine is to have vernier pulleys fitted (purely because I have them) and will have belt etc done along with a tiny cam seal and cam ladder oil leak. Also plan to fit a 4-2-1 manifold and make a few adjustments to the exhaust system and then ultimately will go for another map check/adjustment and hopefully try some 90mm trumpets ready for next year.
I had also purchased a light flywheel to only find when I removed mine it had already been considerably lightened to 3.9kg so will stick as is and readvertise the new one Sad
Also need to fit my alloy engine/alternator mounting bracket I picked up a few months ago

Gearbox wise I plan to strip the 1.9 box I have and investigate the issues as expecting to see a 2nd/3rd synchro issue. I do have my other box off a xsara vts so hopefully will have the same parts to get it repaired otherwise it's likely the vts box will go back on.

Other than that will just be a bit of tidying up and more simplifying ready for next year

Posted 15th Nov 2016 at 13:52
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #57
Inbetween the mrs giving birth 3 weeks early I've manage a small amount of progress. Managed to strip the gearbox to find 3rd synchro is completely worn along with a cracked selector fork. Shame as brought as a good box so gutted as could only find out by doing a Trackday so lost all round really. I've got a replacement synchro from my xsara box but need to locate a selector/fork as they are different.

Posted 27th Nov 2016 at 14:42
grantpipe

Junior User

Post #58
Looks ace that's does. Always wanted a 205 gti6
Posted 1st Dec 2016 at 16:13
sergioiacobucci

Senior User

Post #59
Love those wheels!

Phase 1 silver track car
335i daily
Posted 2nd Dec 2016 at 09:29
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #60
Thanks

I think white wheels was a big mistake though lol they look great but after a few laps with these pads and there black
Posted 2nd Dec 2016 at 09:57
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #61
Not made a huge amount of progress as seem to be forever waiting on parts. Hopefully now will have all I need before Christmas.

Diff has been away and now back from service and having the preload and ramp angles adjusted according to 3j it was at around 15 and they have now set to more of a track orentated 70 (can't remember if it was nm or Lbft though)

I've also sent my injectors away for cleaning and testing as being original could be 18years old now so to be safe I thought I'd get them done.

Engine has had a new belt and plugs and will be doing oil and filter when it goes into the car. Also have vernier pulleys fitted and cam timing checked

Have a 4-2-1 manifold ready to go on and will need to modify or make a new system to fit as discovered my exhaust is 2.5" from manifold to the rear box where it drops to 2 1/4 so will be changing that so it's 2.5" all the way.

Have done a little smoothing on the satchel inlet manifold as looking down the body's they were far from a perfect match to the manifold flange so have took away the edges so they now match perfectly- hopefullly every little helps

Have fitted the lightweight engine mount/alternator bracketry I picked up a while back

Also picked up a 2nd pump and fitted to my 30litre alloy tank (with internal baffled section) which should eliminate surge without fitting a external swirl pot and pump etc

Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 18:59
Day666

Seasoned Pro

Post #62
Looking great Thumbs up
Think your still going to need a External pump & swirl Mr B
Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 20:17
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #63
No won't need anything external. There's 2 pumps the one on the left pumps from the tank into the centre pump which is in a baffled section so effectively like a swirl pot so will always have around 1.5ltr of fuel for the centre pump to feed to the rail

Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 20:27
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #64
Can just about make out what I mean in the centre from here

Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 20:29
Twangy

Senior User

Post #65
if its baffled ,should be fine

wayne mcardle
Posted 18th Dec 2016 at 20:31
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #66
Just read your thread; love your car!
Can I ask what alloy rad you're using. Does it do a decent job?
Cheers
Iain
Posted 7th Jan 2017 at 21:13
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #67
Thanks. The shorter rad is a bakerbm/radtec radiator. Yeah does the job fine water temps sit around 80-85 on track before I added the holes to the bumper it would sit closer to 90 so still within sensible temp as my fans are set to come on at 92deg
Posted 8th Jan 2017 at 10:13
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #68
I once had a radtec custom built job (on a different car) which cost me the same as a small hatchback! Was yours a custom build, or an off the shelf number?
Cheers
Iain
Posted 8th Jan 2017 at 23:57
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #69
You can buy it new from http://www.bakerbm.com/205.php?data=alurad205

Some do crop up 2nd hand though. I got mine when it was supercharged as needed every bit of room. If i was using bodies from the start I would of just lowered the standard unit
Posted 9th Jan 2017 at 06:53
RallyeRed

Regular

Post #70
Thanks for the link mate, much appreciated.
Posted 9th Jan 2017 at 20:27
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #71
Finally got the car back on wheels after a few extras.
Fuel tank and pumps etc all installed
Had no end of issues with gearboxes so now have a standard xsara box in there with my 3j diff.
4-2-1 manifold fitted and I've adapted the centre section to fit and fitted new rear box which I'm particularly proud of
Lightweight alternator bracket set up installed
Fire extinguisher installed
Boot skin refitted so it can be removed easily rather than permanently fixed as before

Has first proper run up and have a n/s driveshaft seal leak which is annoying as fitted new seals (appears to be comming from the outside of the seal)
And also a as yet unidentified noise/rubbing under hard braking

Posted 5th Feb 2017 at 16:41
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #72
Thought I'd do a little update. Managed to get it out a couple of times this year. With the new brakes and r888r's it's been brilliant totally transformed the car. Also got pursuaded by the Mrs to jazz the car up a little as to say she's not a fan of 205's is a understatement. TBH I'm not sold so may only be temporary

My alloy fuel tank unfortunately appears to leak from all possible places - both pump holes and sender and not just the seals from the bosses that are welded in (recessed) so have given up and getting a standard tank to put back in along with a external pump and swirl pot.

Also have picked up another engine and stripped ready to start building up a 2.1

Posted 30th May 2017 at 21:33
Cjwatson27

Seasoned Pro

Post #73
Glad to see the engine going to good use

Old pugs don't die they just get faster
Posted 30th May 2017 at 22:26
blandy

Seasoned Pro

Post #74
hopefully so - well going to get expensive now
Posted 31st May 2017 at 15:08
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #75
only just caught the pictures of the tank, that looks awesome, was it a Satchell item?

I know colin has made a few, his is mounted on the left side with a filler in the floor I think, counteract the weight of the driver!

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 31st May 2017 at 16:12

Pages (4): first .. 2 [3] 4