displaying posts 1 to 12 of 12

Author Subject: Rear trailing arm question
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #1
Hi guys and girls,

Now I do hope your crystal balls are plugged in now please as this may be an odd question.

How deep does the rear ARB end plate bolt go into into the trailing arm ? ? ? Or I should ask how thick is the rear trailing material ?

I ask as I've made a mess of tapping the hole, and I mean a mess and I was either going to tHelicoi or Rivetnut it after drilling a new hole to get a repair bolt in it.

Many thanks !

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 11th Jun 2016 at 22:37
mocinim

Seasoned Pro

Post #2
Drill a larger hole use a bigger bolt not to big though

BLACK RALLYE - phoenix
WHITE RALLYE - valliant

http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
Posted 11th Jun 2016 at 23:20
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
mocinim wrote:
Drill a larger hole use a bigger bolt not to big though

Long story short, a garage did one and that failed eventually, I did one also and that eventually failed. It's a mess !

"Gotta Love The 6"

According to my wife i think the 6 is the fastest car in the world, perhaps she is right LoL !
Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 00:07
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #4
I think from memory i used m8x20Lg capscrews on mine.
I was considering drilling all the way through the trailing arm so i could use a longer capscrew and a nyloc (my bolts seem to keep undoing themselves even with loctite).

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 00:14
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #5
prism7guy wrote:
I think from memory i used m8x20Lg capscrews on mine.
I was considering drilling all the way through the trailing arm so i could use a longer capscrew and a nyloc (my bolts seem to keep undoing themselves even with loctite).

I think I will do the same size wise once it's eventually repaired to a better standard. I've also had this happen where they seem to undo and just fcuk off and sometimes unless your pushing the car don't even realise the bolts gone until you have a look lol !

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 00:18
prism7guy

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
Yeah one of mine was missing at a trackday, i put the odd handling down to the various other suspension changes that i'd made beforehand. Lost a couple since, but now i'm using nord-lock washers and they havent loosened since thankfully.

I'd avoid using a rivnut as this application doesnt seem suited to them, helicoiling could work i'd imagine.

Goldie the track car.
Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 01:46
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #7
prism7guy wrote:
Id avoid using a rivnut as this application doesnt seem suited to them, helicoiling could work i'd imagine.

I've got both tools but I'll try the Helicoil repair first then. How come the rivetnut doesn't suit the application ?

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 09:49
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #8
id use a timesert or just tap to a bigger bolt, bit of an arse though as its cast steel.

these only tend to come loose if the beam is shot or the arb isnt fitted correctly.

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 10:16
welshpug!

Capt Pedantic

Post #9
rivnuts dont suit applications where high shear loads are applied, or any forces for that matter, itll tend to pivot on the unthreaded portion and come loose

need a part number? get on here - http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com

Bring on the Trumpets.

Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 10:18
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
welshpug! wrote:
id use a timesert or just tap to a bigger bolt, bit of an arse though as its cast steel.

Had it and fcuked it up hence the mess. So better off sticking with the Helicoil repair then. Cheers Mei

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 12th Jun 2016 at 10:30
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #11
welshpug! wrote:

these only tend to come loose if the beam is shot or the arb isnt fitted correctly.

The previous owner i bought it off didnt tell me about the snapped off rusted in ARB end plate bolt. (i should have inspected it better)

Pain in the arse believe meThumbs down

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 13th Jun 2016 at 09:26
steve h gti-6

Seasoned Pro

Post #12
Did a helicoil repair and its been holding strong and steady with no loosening or the bolt deciding to fcuk off anywhere. Cheers evryone

"Gotta Love The 6"

Posted 18th Jul 2016 at 21:48