displaying posts 1 to 19 of 19

Author Subject: The Moonstone Moneypit
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #1
(I've been meaning to post this for a while. Apologies it's a wall of text!)

After owning a Jaguar X-Type 2.2 for over 18 months, I decided that I wanted to change it for something a bit more sporty. I can't fault the Jag as a long distance mile muncher, but given I have a short commute (and there happens to be some good back roads close to me) I figured that a hot hatch would fit the bill nicely, and bridge the gap that was left when I sold my Fiesta 1.25 back in 2012 (I still regret selling to this day, but that's another story).

It was around this time that a friend was on the hunt for a new car, and he ended up with a (admittedly modified) 306 GTi. After going out for a passenger ride in it (and being rather impressed) I set about sorting some day insurance out so I could legally take it for a spin. £35 later and sitting behind the wheel I could tell that this just felt right - it felt remarkably similar to the Fiesta, but had the power that it was sorely lacking. It gave me feel and feedback that modern machinery lacks. The hunt, it seemed, was on! Scouring eBay, Pistonheads & AutoTrader for the one wasn't an easy task - most were either too far away, too ropey or far too expensive, but I wasn't going to give up hope!

Eventually I found this one on eBay. Starting bid of £600, in Moonstone (one of my preferred colour choices), with a shade under 69,000 miles, service history since 2003 (better than none!) and a distinctly average looking seat cover on the drivers seat (take a guess why!). Drawback being it was SORN and would need to be brought home on a low loader (not a problem as a family friend has one that we could borrow). After firing off a few messages back and forth to the owner, I checked the MOT history and ran a data check - all clear, which was a relief. Seeing no bids on it 2 days before the end of the auction I decided to be a bit naughty and make the buyer an offer of £600 cash, which he declined and said £700, provided I collected it that Saturday - we tentatively agreed, provided the car was as described. Cue a 7am start with my dad and I fuelled by Red Bull to Birmingham. On arrival it didn't look too bad - a few parking dings and a front bumper that was cracked (and bodged together badly!), but nothing that you don't expect on a 13 year old car. After chatting to the owner and starting the engine, it didn't sound all that fresh - not like a sewing machine, but there was a slight tap, which we used to our advantage! Taking the seat cover off confirmed my fears - one shot drivers seat. At this point I was beginning to think it had been a wasted trip, but after some haggling (using the seat condition & engine tap as a bargaining chip, by convincing the seller it was either the crankshaft or a camshaft - there's no law against using Jedi mind tricks when buying a car!) we eventually agreed on £650 cash. While the seller was sorting the paperwork I was subtly informed that the tap sounded like a sticky tappet (given the car hadn't been run for a while this made sense, and was massive relief!) Cue another long drive from Birmingham back to Essex. Once home I read through the history and found it was complete from day 1 - it had been a lease car and the history was there, along with the second owners receipt, and a wad of history. On further perusal it seems that sadly the belt had let go in 2006 at just over 48k, but the head had been "sorted" (it still taps though) and valves had been replaced - this came to £1k on its own.

Mine, all mine!

Doesnt look bad from a distance!

Soon after purchasing the car I ended up ordering a complete service kit from CarParts4Less, consisting of new air, fuel, oil and pollen filters, a new aux belt, a new cambelt kit (136 tooth - thanks to the guys on here for the advice), 6 litres of Total Quartz 9000 5w40 from eBay, NGK plugs and a billet crank pulley from Carl at CG Cars (thanks for this!).

Fast forward to April (unfortunately my dad had a heart attack back in December '13 which ended up becoming a quadruple heart bypass) which meant the revival had to go on the back burner. I got it dropped off at my mechanic's workshop and asked him to fit all the parts, plus give it a pre-MOT check over. Given that it hasn't been on the road since 2012 there was inevitably going to be some parts that were far beyond their use by date. Turns out I wasn't wrong on that front! It ended up needing 2 new suspension springs (old ones had snapped), new brakes (to be fair the old ones looked like they were off the Titanic), 2 new wishbones, a CV boot kit as the old one had a gaping hole in it and a few sundries.

The MOT was passed with only 3 advisories - both side indicators apparently "faded" and an issue with the manifold clamp on the exhaust, so I ordered a genuine Pug manifold to cat fitting kit and fitted it, and decided not to touch the indicators as they looked perfectly fine to me. Funnily enough the MOT's since haven't muttered anything (not that I believe MOT testers have to put advisories on cars to meet their quota, but I digress).

I also managed to source a good condition 6 interior on eBay for £62. Fortunately the bolsters had been re-done by the previous owner, so the socket set came out and the shot driver's seat was replaced.

Out with the old...

And in with the new(er). The bolsters do look like they're an awful colour match in the photos, but in the flesh it's barely indistinguishable.

2000 W Phase 3 Moonstone.
Posted 13th May 2016 at 20:32
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #2
The rest of 2014 went mostly fine, barring 3 incidents. The first was the speedo deciding to only work when it felt like it, but a trip to the local branch of GSF to acquire a new VSS sorted this. Second was one of the handbrake cables decided to snap one evening in heavy traffic. Amused I was not, but GSF came up trumps again. I bought a spare should the other side decide to come over all French and surrender. Oh, and the indicator stalk decided to click, but this was soon dismantled and fixed thanks to the very handy FAQ on here. Apart from these minor niggles (and a couple of new Dunlop BluResponse tyres to replace the mishmash of budgets on the front of the car, I was finally starting to gel with the machine and put aside my thoughts of cutting my losses using a gallon of fuel and a lighter.

Up on the ramp, while fitting the handbrake cable.

2015 didn't start brilliantly. After going out for an evening drive I parked the car up as normal. About an hour later I noticed some lights on my driveway, which is odd considering I was the only person on the drive. The main beans had decided to come on. After disconnecting the battery and checking the fuses (and finding nothing wrong) I thought the stalk could have been at fault. Luckily an eBay search produced a NOS unit at a very good price, so this was ordered and fitted. No change. Anyway, it turned out some broken wires on the engine bay loom were at fault, so these were re-soldered. This had the unexpected bonus of fixing the non working rev counter too.
Yep, that's broken!

It was not long after this that I decided it would be a good idea to see if the juddering when moving away could be sorted - this wasn't too irritating at first but it was gradually getting worse. After checking the engine & gearbox mounts and not finding any faults, a search on here found a few posts saying the flywheel could be at fault. It was at this point I decided to go on a spending spree at my local Pug dealer, ordering the following:

Fork Bearings
Fork Lever
Bushes
Clutch Cable
Driveshaft seals
Crank seal (flywheel end)
Gearbox sump plug

RichW flywheel. Such a work of art.

I also found a NOS clutch kit at a very good price on eBay (2051 T2) so that was snapped up, along with a RichW flywheel & bolts, Total 75W80 gearbox oil and some Miles gear rods. I dropped the car off to my trusted mechanics with this loot and expected things to go swimmingly, but it wasn't to be. I got a phone call saying the gear rods didn't fit (don't ask!), and they couldn't use the old ones as they had been bent getting them off. To say I was p**sed off is an understatement! Fortunately my local Pug dealers had some OE ones in stock so the crisis was averted (though my wallet was lighter than I wanted it to be!). Fortunately after picking it up I was so impressed with how light the clutch was and the pickup from the flywheel that I totally forgot about the problems it had getting this far. The first half of 2015 hadn't gone quite to plan, but I was glad to have the car back. The joy of driving it had yet again made me forget about the niggles! Luckily the remainder of the year went incident free which made a nice change. Blasting over the Sussex countryside to the Goodwood Moving Motor Show with my best mate was definitely the highlight of the year.

Oh, and this happened too.

Filed under "juvenile things that make you snigger". And before anyone asks, my passenger took the photo.

Posted 14th May 2016 at 13:16
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #3
Did you buy a moonstone bumper off me a few weeks back ?

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 12th May 2016 at 20:24
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #4
Yep, that was me Ryan. Was good to meet you by the way!

Posted 12th May 2016 at 20:25
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #5
Fast forward to 2016, and the annual MOT. I wasn't expecting any issues, however the car had other ideas. It passed but had a few advisories that I wasn't expecting. The front shocks had been discovered to be misting oil slightly (not badly, but enough for an advisory) and the exhaust had a slight leak. After finding out how eye-wateringly expensive a genuine Pug unit was (even with trade discount), I opted to replace it with a brand new Mongoose unit. An evening trawling through ServiceBox gave me the part numbers I needed for a mini front suspension refresh (new shocks, top mounts, bump stops, etc). Having weighed up the I know I could keep costs lower by buying second hand, but I'd rather buy brand new so I know I'm buying quality parts and they'll last. The order will be going for this next week...

Not long after the MOT, this happened. Thanks Mr lorry driver :/

Fortunately a windscreen fitter friend managed to sort out a brand new screen for around the same price as my insurance excess, so obviously I took up the offer.

Around this time I also managed to locate a mint condition Moonstone bumper. The one on the car had been bodged together rather badly (or as a Brummie would say, "that'll do!). Full credit to pug_306 for this - he's a top guy.

Bodge-tastic!

Now, regarding the Mongoose. I placed an order with Spoox for this after searching and finding they were the best priced. A day after ordering they phoned me up to say that Mongoose had stopped production of this about 6 weeks ago, but they could offer me a Piper unit for the same price - I naturally accepted. Full credit to them for helping me out - I know some people have had less than perfect experiences with them but I can't fault them.

And that brings the story up to date!

Posted 13th May 2016 at 20:44
pug_306

Seasoned Pro

Post #6
You too. And nice looking car too ;-)

1998 Supercharged White Rallye
1992 205 GTi6
205 Turbo 340bhp
Posted 12th May 2016 at 20:34
99rallye

Regular

Post #7
Pictures!?
Posted 13th May 2016 at 18:28
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #8
Pictures now added to my previous posts.

I wonder what this could be.... (Excuse the state of the boot - it's not my car!)

Piper's 306 GTI6 system. Very impressed with the quality so far. Opted for a 3.5inch inwardly rolled unit.

I'll try and get a video up tomorrow of the sound should anyone else be interested in hearing it (I haven't come across any videos of the system on here, 306oc or YouTube). I just hope it isn't as loud as a Magnex!

Posted 13th May 2016 at 20:55
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #9
Piper is fitted. Initial impressions are good - it's very well constructed and doesn't sound too bad at idle. Fitting was a relative doddle - it did need some persuasion to line up on the bumper, but nothing too major.

Old V New

All fitted.

Hoping to give it a proper run-in later on, and I'll try and get a video.

Posted 14th May 2016 at 13:07
aaron6

Seasoned Pro

Post #10
Looking good fella

See the sheer power and might of the lesser known burrowing owl.

Posted 14th May 2016 at 15:33
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #11
Cheers Aaron. Just got back from a drive and I'm very impressed with the sound of the exhaust. At town speeds it's nice and quiet. The idle has a bit of a loud burble but compared to the Magnex a friend had on his 6 this is as quiet as a mouse! Makes a good noise when you blat it through the revs too.

Overall I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial.

Posted 14th May 2016 at 16:23
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #12
The parts I ordered for the suspension refresh finally turned up today. Just need to wait for the rebound stops to arrive now (they're on back order from Pug). Hopefully I won't be waiting for too long for these, though knowing my luck they'll be coming from a dark corner of a warehouse deep in France.

I thought my wallet felt a bit light!

Shiny shiny.

Posted 24th May 2016 at 21:58
roland rat

Yeeeah Rat fans!

Post #13
Coming along nicely mate Thumbs up
Posted 24th May 2016 at 22:27
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #14
Cheers Ash. It'll be worth it when it's all done (at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

Posted 24th May 2016 at 22:44
rudolf

Seasoned Pro

Post #15
Wonder why the shocks are different prices?

S Reg Diablo standardsSpec SORNED
R Reg Nile standard spec written off then repaired
X Reg Astor in need of TLC
R Reg Nile to restore
Set of Lions to fit.
Posted 25th May 2016 at 03:23
silky

Seasoned Pro

Post #16
You'll have to bring it along to an Essex meet Paul
Posted 25th May 2016 at 06:28
Nose

Senior User

Post #17
Coming on well Paul, I do like the Moonstone Cool

Bianca 306 Rallye.
Mondeo Titanium X.
Posted 25th May 2016 at 08:27
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #18
Rudolf - no idea to be honest! Then again Peugeot do seem to pick prices from a random number generator for some of their parts.

Silky - I'll do my best to get it along to an Essex meet in the near future.

Nose - Thanks Smile - I'm hoping the weather will hold up over the weekend so I can give it a good wash & polish.

Posted 25th May 2016 at 08:31
GTi6-PJL

Regular

Post #19
Finally managed to get the new suspension components fitted today (New Pug top mounts, shocks, rubber gaiter, bump stops). Only taken it for a quick spin but I have to say the ride is much better now, and there's a lot less body roll through snaking high speed turns.

I did however find that the P bush on one side is past its best, so to continue with the suspension replacement theme I've ordered new Lemforder wishbones & ball joints, all for £130. Figured it's a small price to pay really given these things are renowned for their handling! I nearly fell off my chair when I found out Peugeot's price for a new wishbone - £145 each (without discount). It seems from various posts on here that Lemforder seems to be well regarded so I don't think I've made a mistake. I did consider purchasing the Partner P bushes, however at £30 a side I think I'll pass for now!

Posted 13th Aug 2016 at 16:34